Carbide Sanding Mandrels

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tapered Carbide Sanding Mandrels

NEW STOCK UPDATED 1-8-18

I have more sets of Carbide sanding mandrels ready to go.
They have stainless steel bodies with carbide sleeves for matching
the butt and shaft joints to each other.

Set # One is 3/8-10 .842" SOLD
Set # Two is 3/8-10 .842"
Set # Three fits Radial and the Ball Screws I sell and is .840"
Set # four fits Radial and the Ball Screws I sell and is .842" SOLD
Set # Five fits Radial and the Ball Screws I sell and is .842"
Set # Six fits Radial and the Ball Screws I sell and is .850"
Set # Seven is 5/16-14 .840"

Post in the thread which set you want and if I have not already sold them over the phone or by email you will get the set you post for. Asking questions about them by email or PMs does not count as sold. First one to post gets the set desired.

$350 each set plus $12 shipping in USA.
Paypal or credit card is fine for payment.

Carbide Mandrels 001.jpg

Last edited:

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8" - 10 sanding mandrel

I'll take one of the 3/8-10 .840 sets, Chris.

PM Paypal addy, please.

thanks,

mac

SachaCH

Registered
Question

Hi, what is so special by those mandrels?

And what is the difference to cheaper one?

Thank you
Sacha

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you
Sacha

These are tapered. Plus, the price is in the neighborhood with other quality carbide mandrels.

Dick

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you
Sacha
I do not know what you mean be the cheaper ones unless you are referring to the hardened steel ones that do not hold up. But if you are referring to other carbide ones you have seen cheaper then I suggest you read the forum threads about the quality. Dick pointed out the advantages to these over other caribide mandrels that have been sold on here. Good center in the ends and stainless steel bodies are advantages these also have over some other ones that have been made.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I do not know what you mean be the cheaper ones unless you are referring to the hardened steel ones that do not hold up. But if you are referring to other carbide ones you have seen cheaper then I suggest you read the forum threads about the quality. Dick pointed out the advantages to these over other caribide mandrels that have been sold on here. Good center in the ends and stainless steel bodies are advantages these also have over some other ones that have been made.

He maybe confusing these with maintenance drive pins.

Larry

SachaCH

Registered
Hi, i'm a newbie, so i am asking this question.... sorry about that!!

I mean the difference with this one:

MAINTENANCE ARBORS (2-PIECE) STAINLESS for 35$

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, i'm a newbie, so i am asking this question.... sorry about that!!

I mean the difference with this one:

MAINTENANCE ARBORS (2-PIECE) STAINLESS for 35$

Just like the add states, they are maintenance arbors, made to easily mount a shaft or butt to a chuck for little damage to the pin or insert. They will wear pretty quickly if you were to use them as a sanding base. Carbide, on the other hand, are made to withstand sanding and would probably last 2 or 300 times longer before wear gets out of parameters.

Dick

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maintenance arbors are just another name for lathe pins and lathe inserts. A lathe pin is made to thread into and spin a shaft to sand and clean it. A lathe insert is made to spin the butt. I sell those for $12 each on my site. Carbide sanding mandrels are made to the size you want your joint to be when finished. You turn the butt and shaft several thousandths of an inch undersized to the Carbide mandrel, then build your finish up on the cue and sand it to match the mandrel. This makes all your shafts and butts interchangeable.

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Wonderful explanation your a great teacher Chris

Wonderful explanation your a great teacher Chris. Teaching is obviously your forte'.(besides being a great custom cueman) I hope I will need the mandrels someday but for now need to make my first cue.
Al

Maintenance arbors are just another name for lathe pins and lathe inserts. A lathe pin is made to thread into and spin a shaft to sand and clean it. A lathe insert is made to spin the butt. I sell those for $12 each on my site. Carbide sanding mandrels are made to the size you want your joint to be when finished. You turn the butt and shaft several thousandths of an inch undersized to the Carbide mandrel, then build your finish up on the cue and sand it to match the mandrel. This makes all your shafts and butts interchangeable.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have paid 30% more for non tapered with brass inside. This is probably the best deal I have ever seen.

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
Ok, fine. I'll take the last 3/8"x10. I'll Paypal as soon as you verify.

Frank

edit: Just want to confirm that this is also the Flat Bottom 3/8-10 (.308 minor). Looks like it, but want to be sure.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok, fine. I'll take the last 3/8"x10. I'll Paypal as soon as you verify.

Frank

edit: Just want to confirm that this is also the Flat Bottom 3/8-10 (.308 minor). Looks like it, but want to be sure.

That is correct. They fit the Martin style pins I sell.
Send paypal to the cueman@cuesmith.com address.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
People have asked why .842" instead of the .840" or .850" which have been the most popular sizes in the past. The reason is repair work. A lot of the manufacturers are standardizing to .842" and that is the size needed to build an extra shaft for them. If you only care about the cues you build we can still provide any diameter you want. Below is the updated list of what is in stock with no wait.

Tapered Carbide Sanding Mandrels

NEW STOCK UPDATED 1-9-18

I have more sets of Carbide sanding mandrels ready to go.
They have stainless steel bodies with carbide sleeves for matching
the butt and shaft joints to each other.

Set # One is 3/8-10 .842" SOLD
Set # Two is 3/8-10 .842"
Set # Three fits Radial and the Ball Screws I sell and is .840"
Set # four fits Radial and the Ball Screws I sell and is .842" SOLD
Set # Five fits Radial and the Ball Screws I sell and is .842"
Set # Six fits Radial and the Ball Screws I sell and is .850"
Set # Seven is 5/16-14 .840"

Post in the thread which set you want and if I have not already sold them over the phone or by email you will get the set you post for. Asking questions about them by email or PMs does not count as sold. First one to post gets the set desired.

$350 each set plus $12 shipping in USA.
Paypal or credit card is fine for payment.

Last edited:

wabelly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8-10 taper carbine sanding mandel

I will take a set of 3/8-10 .842. Send payment info