custom bumpers

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Depending on what you want/need, sometimes the best or only option is to buy one close to size, stick it in the freezer to get it hard, and turn it down on your lathe to fit your needs.

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why you would need to feeze them. But when I done them I used trim them with my sliting saw. No freezing required.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
I don't know why you would need to feeze them. But when I done them I used trim them with my sliting saw. No freezing required.

we have a BINGO :thumbup:
i dont freeze them either
kj's ring cutter/bumper cutter shaper is the nutz

but he may be talking about engraved bumpers ????????????

Last edited:

RBC

Deceased
Unless you're talking a pretty large quantity, you won't like the costs. First a mold has to be made, and then they can make the bumpers. Usually, there's a flat labor or time cost, and then the materials are added to that. If you're only making 500 or 1000 then you could be talking big money per bumper.

Another option is to make your own mold out of delrin or UHMW with a CNC machine. Then you can buy hard rubber mixes and mold your own. It's slow and time consuming, but the only way to get a small number of bumpers at a reasonable cost.

Royce

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
the answer as to "why" was stated in my post..... TO GET IT HARD. I never said it was "needed" or "required", it was just a suggestion that was offered to me from one of our respected forum members so I was passing it on, and if using a lathe bit to turn it down, DOES make a noticeable difference, because I have tried it both ways. Not everyone has a slitting saw

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the answer as to "why" was stated in my post..... TO GET IT HARD. I never said it was "needed" or "required", it was just a suggestion that was offered to me from one of our respected forum members so I was passing it on, and if using a lathe bit to turn it down, DOES make a noticeable difference, because I have tried it both ways. Not everyone has a slitting saw

My comment was not ment to be derogatory in any way. There are just better ways to do that job. You can even use an end mill or a 2 flute router bit.

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
My comment was not ment to be derogatory in any way. There are just better ways to do that job. You can even use an end mill or a 2 flute router bit.

Joe...... My apologies, I didn't mean it to come off that harsh. I know and understand there are better ways to do the job, but not all of us have the necessary tools that most of you builders have. For all I know, the OP might not even have a lathe. MYSELF..... I don't have a slitting saw, nor do I have an end mill, a router bit, or even a router. With only a repair lathe and a few lathe bits, my suggested method worked well for what few tools I have. I was just passing on a suggestion that had worked for me.