U.S. Open update

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes - I want Pat to post an image of the escrow account. I don't know Pat Fleming from Adam so his statement 'we got the money' doesn't cut it for me and more importantly shouldn't cut it for any player.

I find it uncanny that already $50k has been deposited. What a nice even number. And $16k of the $75k can't be air from his free entry charade.

Pat probably doesn't know you either. Pat is one of the most honorable men I have the pleasure of knowing. If his word is not good enough for you then all bets are off.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just curious. How many AzB-ers who have posted on this thread are actually going to be competing in the U.S. Open this year? I would think the competitors or players, if you will, should be the ones to share their thoughts on the purse and payouts. For AzB-ers to require the tournament promoter (Barry) to reveal his bank account and P&L statement is a little over the top. Let the players voice their concerns, but forum members making demands seems odd.

As far as the VIP seats, I totally understand the concern and hope that this year's seating arranagement is more suitable. Nobody wants to pay money for a crappy seat where they can't see anything and/or are uncomfortable.

The Barry haters are going to hate, but some of the demands and criticism on this thread from forum members, who aren't putting up their dough and/or playing in the tournament, is kind of odd. It happens every year, of course, due to the payout problems. However, one year, the players banded together and ensured the payouts would happen as advertised.

I like seeing the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship tournament in Virginia, on the East Coast, in my neck of the woods. Love him or hate him, Barry Behrman is putting up his own dough to make this happen. He deserves a modicum of respect for that. Does anybody think he's making a huge ROI on this tournament? This event happens becuase of his passion to keeping the legacy alive for players around the world. It is a tournament title that every single pro player would like to have on their portfolio or résumé. In fact, I would venture to guess that this title is worth more to the pro players than the tin cups and cheese. The tin cups collect dust, and the money will be spent, but the title lasts forever.

It's okay to suggest strategies to make the Open run smoother, but in the end, unless you're playing in the event or putting up your money for a VIP seat or traveling to watch the tournament as a railbird or paying a vendor fee to display your wares, the criticism in this thread is over the top.

That's my opinion, and I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but I'm sticking with it.

If Barry is really putting up his own money, but yet always coming up short at the end, then there is a simple solution.

Stop advertising added money you don't truly have.

People don't keep saying negative things about Barry because they hate him. They say them because negative things keep happening every year because of him.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Barry is really putting up his own money, but yet always coming up short at the end, then there is a simple solution.

Stop advertising added money you don't truly have.

People don't keep saying negative things about Barry because they hate him. They say them because negative things keep happening every year because of him.

If Barry was to guarantee an added figure of $50,000 and then add the total sum of entry fees to this makng prize funds of -
$150,000 for 100 players
$162,000 for 112 players
Then it would be a Tier 3 event and most players would be happy

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most important thing about the event this year is that there will be an accurate and transparent accounting of the funds months before the event actually takes place. Players and spectators will be able to make their decisions about attending in plenty of time prior to the event.

So whatever tier the event qualifies for ---- everyone will know well in advance.

This is the best anyone can hope for regarding this event.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been in communication with Barry and Pat regarding the added money for this years Open. Pat has received close to 50K already and we are over four months out. Things are looking good with this new arrangement. I'll keep you posted as to how things are going in the days and weeks ahead. Like all of you I'm more than curious if Barry will make his deadline (July 25) for all the added monies. At this point in time it looks like he will.

By the way Barry is giving free entry to sixteen of the past champions (still active ones) for this year's 40th edition of the Open. That will be considered part of the 75K added so he still has to come up with 59K for Pat's fund. All other entry fee money will go directly to Pat for safekeeping and he will be awarding all the payouts this year. He has a separate bank account exclusively for the U.S. Open prize money.

I'm much more comfortable with this arrangement than in past years. On this basis I've agreed to return once more as TD. Bill Stock will be assisting me as well as Karl Kantrowitz, so we have a good staff handling the event. Scott Smith will be back to make all the announcements and I'm happy about that too.

With world ranking points attached this is shaping up to be a top flight event once again. I look forward to witnessing some great pool right here in the USA come October.

P.S. JAM, does Keith have one more comeback in him? I think YES!

I apologize if I missed it but what happens if BB misses the July 25 deadline?

Lou Figueroa

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Pat probably doesn't know you either. Pat is one of the most honorable men I have the pleasure of knowing. If his word is not good enough for you then all bets are off.

How does that saying go? Oh yeah....

I make my mother post.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep! For sure.

People who are skeptical about him obviously know nothing about him.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree Pat is honorable and should be taken at his word.

The only caveat to this is it has to come from PAT himself, via a press release with his name attached to it. I'm certain when the July date comes, Pat will do this.

Notice, Barry has sent a bunch of press releases, all rambling on. Pat, on the other hand, sent only one or two, and they were precisely direct and to the point.

Barry if he said the sky was blue, I would not believe him.
Jay, is honorable, but he too did not clarify until later asked [Post #57] where he got the info from that there was "close to 50k" in the account. 42K has been received according to Pat, via Jay.

Its absolutely essential the source of information is explicitly named, given Barry's horrible track record.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will only add this statement to the equation. It is not so easy keeping the U.S. Open alive. And some of us feel that it is worthwhile to do this. Barry is doing his part by finding the venue and making the necessary arrangements there, plus bringing in added sponsor monies. Pat is doing his part by making sure all funds are secure this year. And I will do my part in making sure the event is properly run and fair to all players.

It would be nice to get universal support on here for our efforts but certainly not expected. By posting about this year's Open I have opened myself up to the slings and arrows of many here. So be it.

Lastly, if the 75K added is not all there on July 25, there are several options. It could become a Tier 3 event and some foreign players would not come and the added money would be lower (whatever is already there at that point in time), or if the WPA has assurance from sponsors that more money is indeed forthcoming the Tier 2 sanction could remain for an unspecified period of time. Players can then decide if they want to come or not.

My best guess at this point in time is the event is definitely a GO, with somewhere north of $50,000 in added money. With the current arrangement I fully expect that Barry will find a way to get the 75K in on time. For him this is essential to the overall success of the event, to get all the top name players to participate. Anything less would be a disappointment to him. What's very different this time is Barry knows full well what he needs to do and really has no choice but to hold up his end or suffer the consequences. I know one thing, Pat will not waver from his agreement and neither will I.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep! For sure.

People who are skeptical about him obviously know nothing about him.

I agree with Fran and Jay. Pat Fleming is about as honest as the day is long.

In fact, when players run into him at events, he hands them royalty checks that they didn't even know were coming to them. One year at the DCC, Jose Parica received a $800-plus check, which made Jose very happy. :grin:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will only add this statement to the equation. It is not so easy keeping the U.S. Open alive. And some of us feel that it is worthwhile to do this. Barry is doing his part by finding the venue and making the necessary arrangements there, plus bringing in added sponsor monies. Pat is doing his part by making sure all funds are secure this year. And I will do my part in making sure the event is properly run and fair to all players.

It would be nice to get universal support on here for our efforts but certainly not expected. By posting about this year's Open I have opened myself up to the slings and arrows of many here. So be it.

Lastly, if the 75K added is not all there on July 25, there are several options. It could become a Tier 3 event and some foreign players would not come and the added money would be lower (whatever is already there at that point in time), or if the WPA has assurance from sponsors that more money is indeed forthcoming the Tier 2 sanction could remain for an unspecified period of time. Players can then decide if they want to come or not.

My best guess at this point in time is the event is definitely a GO, with somewhere north of $50,000 in added money. With the current arrangement I fully expect that Barry will find a way to get the 75K in on time. For him this is essential to the overall success of the event, to get all the top name players to participate. Anything less would be a disappointment to him. What's very different this time is Barry knows full well what he needs to do and really has no choice but to hold up his end or suffer the consequences. I know one thing, Pat will not waver from his agreement and neither will I.

Jay, this is the best post on this thread so far and your realism should give players more confidence in the event. If a tournament of this status cannot pull up fifty grand sponsorship and 112 paid entries then there is really no hope for us all.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I agree with Fran and Jay. Pat Fleming is about as honest as the day is long.

In fact, when players run into him at events, he hands them royalty checks that they didn't even know were coming to them. One year at the DCC, Jose Parica received a $800-plus check, which made Jose very happy. :grin:

That's all fine and dandy ;)Now get your butt to the open!!! And bring that Keith guy with you. Hope to see you there.
Jason

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... and yes, we knew that the entire $188K has to be in to Pat within the next 5 wks - otherwise, it's Breach. ...

The July deadline is for the added money. Entry fees will be dribbling in all the way up to the event (or until the field of 128 is filled, if sooner).

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Ok Jay, I'll bet on the word of your friend Pat if the $75k is there in full or not by July 25th.

$50

And if I lose and pay off and then if any player is not paid in full at the time of the event or a check bounces again, I get my $50 back plus another $100.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
And JAM, it doesn't matter diddly if I am going this year or not. I have friends that are going to be playing and also am simply a fan of pool. And I am a potential customer for future years. Barry has lost enough customers that he should concentrate on trying to gain some new ones.

Beyond that, for the past 5 years at least we have heard that 'Barry understands that this time there can't be any issues with payment, VIP seating, etc' and then the football is pulled away as Charlie Brown goes to kick it once again.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok Jay, I'll bet on the word of your friend Pat if the $75k is there in full or not by July 25th.

$50

And if I lose and pay off and then if any player is not paid in full at the time of the event or a check bounces again, I get my $50 back plus another $100.

Too many qualifiers for me. You turned a simple yes or no bet into some kind of algorithm.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Pretty simple -- if the checks bounce or any player is stalled on payment, then the $75k added was never really there. If Pat's word is gold and Barry is a changed man, nothing to worry about. :)

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Big Thanks Jay

Jay,

I want to add my sincere thanks to you for all you have done, and continue to do for this glorious, benchmark event.

It certainly is not easy.

And I hope you know that as you continue to move forward, you hold the unwavering support and admiration of all who want to see this event overcome the myriad hurdles of the recent past and return the event to its lofty place in the world's events.

Many watch, only a few participate in the thankless work of an event of this magnitude. Yep, there have been some (very) genuine issues in the recent past, but I believe all the hard work underway by great people such as Pat, Roberta, yourself and others will meet with positive results and place the event on better footing.

Please take a moment to pass along my sincerest thanks to the others working diligently behind the scenes.

See you this October.

Will Prout

Last edited:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
what happened to the impending loan that Barry referred to back in JAN & FEB on ABR, that was supposed to be the lock for Pat's requirements?

how hard is it to borrow $75K, against Q Masters's worth of $3M?