Belgium the n°1 country for pool in europe

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
I'm sure that if anyone would ask you which is the current n°1 country in pool in Europe, you would never think of Belgium. Many won't even know my country.

After the European championship, Belgium came ahead as the country who won the most medals, with 10 medals. 6 of them came from the Khodjaev sisters.
Being a belgium player and teammate with the 2 sisters, i've never been so proud. Wish i had there talent :) so sorry for the brag, but it's just an amazing European championship for us and the story behind it .

We had a very rough year in Belgium. With almost sure death of competitive pool in our country, due to some people stealing all the money of the national pool federation , the european board almost kicked Belgium out after not paying them , and some very big names who quit the national federation, the was no federation left. It was almost game over.
Some volunteers started back from scratch. new federation, new members, new formats, and sure it's very hard for them , they lack the experience, and alot of players quit the pool scene due to all the problems we had in the last year, but I'm happy we finally where able to make a deal with Europe so we would be allowed back in and play the EC, start a new federation, etc, and being the n°1 country in Europe this year just shows how hard the passion for pool is in my country.

I'm proud to be part of the Belgium pool scene, proud that after the rough year, we still manage to get these results.

sorry for the mini brag post, but I'm just so happy :D
Damn I love this sport. It's beautiful on every level. from watching niels feyen play 14-1 race to 1000 at home in front of his webcam, from the high quality matches on the EC with high quality streams, from the league games of amateurs in local barrs (last week the league night fell on the same day of the monthly "striptease night" the bar organizes)... i mean, you can't make that up :) , to my level of just banging some balls on my home table. It doesn't matter what level you are, it's what pool stands for. having competitive fun and the love of this beautiful game.

Attachments

• 11173388_10204276621252017_6447638014977081262_n.jpg
    11173388_10204276621252017_6447638014977081262_n.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 662
  • 11154864_836668073069895_181870262113941516_o.jpg
    11154864_836668073069895_181870262113941516_o.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 669

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw the double digit medal count next to your country and was impressed.
congrats to you and Belgium. And the two sisters, this is not the first time their names have been mentioned alongside trophies and medals, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

green rep to your comments about the game. I feel the same. It's a beautiful sport in so many ways.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that if anyone would ask you which is the current n°1 country in pool in Europe, you would never think of Belgium. Many won't even know my country.

After the European championship, Belgium came ahead as the country who won the most medals, with 10 medals. 6 of them came from the Khodjaev sisters.
Being a belgium player and teammate with the 2 sisters, i've never been so proud. Wish i had there talent :) so sorry for the brag, but it's just an amazing European championship for us and the story behind it .

We had a very rough year in Belgium. With almost sure death of competitive pool in our country, due to some people stealing all the money of the national pool federation , the european board almost kicked Belgium out after not paying them , and some very big names who quit the national federation, the was no federation left. It was almost game over.
Some volunteers started back from scratch. new federation, new members, new formats, and sure it's very hard for them , they lack the experience, and alot of players quit the pool scene due to all the problems we had in the last year, but I'm happy we finally where able to make a deal with Europe so we would be allowed back in and play the EC, start a new federation, etc, and being the n°1 country in Europe this year just shows how hard the passion for pool is in my country.

I'm proud to be part of the Belgium pool scene, proud that after the rough year, we still manage to get these results.

sorry for the mini brag post, but I'm just so happy :D
Damn I love this sport. It's beautiful on every level. from watching niels feyen play 14-1 race to 1000 at home in front of his webcam, from the high quality matches on the EC with high quality streams, from the league games of amateurs in local barrs (last week the league night fell on the same day of the monthly "striptease night" the bar organizes)... i mean, you can't make that up :) , to my level of just banging some balls on my home table. It doesn't matter what level you are, it's what pool stands for. having competitive fun and the love of this beautiful game.
Really??? There used to be way more pool in Germany and the Netherlands then Belgium. All I ever saw in Belgium was billiards hardly any pool tables. It has been a few years has it really changed that much?

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice !

They not only play good pool , damn nice smiles :wink: !!
(to me , it don't look to typical vlaams smiles & faces ROFL mouahahaha , you know what i mean , Solartje , Franse grap :wink: :D ... )

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
It never hurts to be good looking if you want to make a living out of something. :wink: keep it nice though :thumbup:

Macguy, its true what you say. pool is a lot more common in germany and the netherlands. there are a lot more billiard players then in our country.
the country's you mention are also a lot bigger, they have more people, more clubs. There is a reason why our national pool federation is having a lot of problems, including $$. It's hard to organise event's and atrackt new players, with enough $ to win to make people interested if you only have 15 players show up. We are a very very small country. for example, there are 8x more germans then belgiums.

For being such a small country this amount of talent is big. in billiard as in pool as in snooker (wendy jans WC woman, the young luca brecel in snooker).

But everything is changing a lot. There are hardly young people playing 3C compared as 40years ago. the young people are looking for more modern games. When you say pool everyone thinks of germany, netherlands, pino's, etc i'd love to have my country in that big line of country's.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Viva la Belgium. I am a big Ceulemans and Caudron fan w/Jaspers being close by to the north.

Congrats on your success and the sisters are beautiful.

Dave

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After the European championship, Belgium came ahead as the country who won the most medals, with 10 medals. 6 of them came from the Khodjaev sisters.[...]

Thanks for sharing Solartje.... You SHOULD be proud. Kamila on only has 76 games in the system, but her Fargo Rating has now broken 700--which puts her second only to Ms. Ouschan amongst females in Europe.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Solartje, glad to see you posting again!

Who could imagine such problems as you listed can happen in a European country:eek:

Though the majority of EPC medals come from Khodjaev sisters, Serge Das also finally made it to the top and put his contribution ;) Until this year I didn't hear Kamila has a sister, and all of a sudden she stirs the pot at women part of the tournament! Who is Kamila's and Diana's coach? I assume they learn from the same. Must be a very good one.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've never been to Belgium, but I hear they have great waffles. Is that true? :)

I used to think of Belgium...billiards and Brownings...
..forgot about the waffles.
It just struck me, Tramp, if you bought a Verhoeven billiard table, you
could do your waffles on it....it's got a heated slate. :smile:
'course, it would be hell on the Simonis...also made in Belgium.

The girls are not just pretty, they have inner beauty.
...I would be very pleased if they were my daughters.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I used to think of Belgium...billiards and Brownings...
..forgot about the waffles.
It just struck me, Tramp, if you bought a Verhoeven billiard table, you
could do your waffles on it....it's got a heated slate. :smile:
'course, it would be hell on the Simonis...also made in Belgium.

The girls are not just pretty, they have inner beauty.
...I would be very pleased if they were my daughters.

You and me both, my friend. You and me both.
Well done young ladies. :smile:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Besides being proud of pool in your country you should also be very proud that your country continues to hold the very best Formula 1 race on the calendar at the most awesome road course in the world, Spa Francorchamps.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
Besides being proud of pool in your country you should also be very proud that your country continues to hold the very best Formula 1 race on the calendar at the most awesome road course in the world, Spa Francorchamps.

and the best beer in the world :thumbup:

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
Solartje, glad to see you posting again!

Who could imagine such problems as you listed can happen in a European country:eek:

Though the majority of EPC medals come from Khodjaev sisters, Serge Das also finally made it to the top and put his contribution ;) Until this year I didn't hear Kamila has a sister, and all of a sudden she stirs the pot at women part of the tournament! Who is Kamila's and Diana's coach? I assume they learn from the same. Must be a very good one.

There father has been coaching them since they where 3-4y old. since last year, they are also being coached by Johny Vanrijkel. A pool veteran with more experience then anyone in my country I think. He is a top referee on the EC's and a very good player. In fact, after our national pool association went broke, holland asked him to be the national youth coach for all the young dutch future champions. He is now there coach and he has a couple of private students, including the two khodjaev sisters.

In fact Diana already has some nice wins in the -18 girl division on the ec , but as Kamila was also playing in them, she never won one. now that kamila turned 19 and is playing with the woman, i don't see any player in the girl division that should hold her from winning gold after gold. funny fact: diana actually is the first woman in history to win the man event in our country. I think kamila played semi finals, but diana won one national man ranking event.

in fact there are 3 khodjaev kids. the youngest, is a boy "nicholas"who is now... 4 I think ?? and has been training since he was 2. he's already making jumpshots (and i'm not talking scooping the ball and luckboxing it). can't find the video, maybe its visible on youtube. like his father said: boys are easyer to train, they don't complain that much :rolleyes: His father build a stage in wood so he would be above the table. learning to play that young, they often have to turn there arm 90° horizontally so they can get it above the table, but in the longterm this muscle-memory can be a bad thing. The stage around the table is made so he can use a normal vertical 90° stroke.

I think, devoting all your free time, making big sacrifices (not going to every bday party, not going out every night, etc) and starting at that young age is the secret more then who the coach is. There father, used to be a hustler in russia playing piramid, so not saying he has nothing to do with it. he has a lot of experience. For them its more then a game. being very good in sport is the only way they and other immigrants have to get a chance to a better life. It gave them papers and now a option to a pro career thats nicer then flipping burgers. motivation + starting young + talent = ftw

PS Belgium has the best beers in the world. no one thought of that? :)

and ps; about the inside beauty comment.you couldn't be more spot on.
This pic says more then 1000 words.

2s8l8v5.jpg

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Hey, you guys aren't too far from France, are you?
Well then, are French fries any good? I heard they were. :)