Recommendation for radar gun suitable for pool

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wonder if anyone has a recommendation for a radar gun for pool? Break speed will be measured but I need it to get down in the 4-7 MPH range to measure soft stop shots. One measure of a good stroke is how softly the stop shot can be stroked. APA 2 level players can hit the stop shot at warp speed but precision shape sometimes calls for the softest stun/ tangent line over possible. I routinely practice this shot at all distances apart but the only measure I have is how many diamonds the OB travels. Cloth makes a difference so it might not be possible to accurately compare measurements on different tables. For example: With the CB on the head spot and the OB at center table (two diamonds apart on a 9' table) with a full complete stop, my best so far; the OB travels 7 diamonds, 4 to the end rail and 3 back to center.
Make sure you set a ball beside the OB so that you can tell you got a perfect stop shot because even a 1/4-1/2 replacement ball cuts down on travel speed tremendously. It's a great drill.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wonder if anyone has a recommendation for a radar gun for pool? Break speed will be measured but I need it to get down in the 4-7 MPH range to measure soft stop shots. One measure of a good stroke is how softly the stop shot can be stroked. APA 2 level players can hit the stop shot at warp speed but precision shape sometimes calls for the softest stun/ tangent line over possible. I routinely practice this shot at all distances apart but the only measure I have is how many diamonds the OB travels. Cloth makes a difference so it might not be possible to accurately compare measurements on different tables. For example: With the CB on the head spot and the OB at center table (two diamonds apart on a 9' table) with a full complete stop, my best so far; the OB travels 7 diamonds, 4 to the end rail and 3 back to center.
Make sure you set a ball beside the OB so that you can tell you got a perfect stop shot because even a 1/4-1/2 replacement ball cuts down on travel speed tremendously. It's a great drill.

I think how clean/new the cloth is has a lot more effect than the rolling speed of the cloth. Try waxing the cue ball or use silicone spray to simulate new cloth and see what the difference is.

As for the actual speed measurement, you could probably use one of the break shot speed apps which work on the sounds of the hits to make the measurement. You would have to figure out the correction factor for each distance unless you just wanted relative measurements.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think how clean/new the cloth is has a lot more effect than the rolling speed of the cloth. Try waxing the cue ball or use silicone spray to simulate new cloth and see what the difference is.

As for the actual speed measurement, you could probably use one of the break shot speed apps which work on the sounds of the hits to make the measurement. You would have to figure out the correction factor for each distance unless you just wanted relative measurements.

Thanks. I tried "Break Speed" on my Iphone but guess the low speeds made it wildly inconsistent. I know some pool coaches uses a radar gun but probably a really good one that will get down in the 5mph range.