What is your PSR?

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
What is your PSR and how do you think before aiming? I have my way of setting up before getting down on the shot.. What do you do?

I see some folks moving their feet, or sometimes they turn their body, or raising up and down. Some folks just get down and are fidgety.

I hear the saying Pre Shot Routine a lot... but when I see so many players setting up differently, I wonder exactly what they are thinking.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your PSR and how do you think before aiming? I have my way of setting up before getting down on the shot.. What do you do?

I see some folks moving their feet, or sometimes they turn their body, or raising up and down. Some folks just get down and are fidgety.

I hear the saying Pre Shot Routine a lot... but when I see so many players setting up differently, I wonder exactly what they are thinking.

I have THREE shot routines in my normal shot sequence.

1. THINK!
2. AIM!
3. DO IT!

randyg

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

1. THINK!
2. AIM!
3. DO IT!

randyg

THINK... What's the OB angle? How to get your CB to correct side of the next OB.
AIM... Center CB or sidespin for position? Squirt compensation if spinning the CB.
DO IT.. The correct CB speed and CB route into the position zone for the next OB.

I set my feet, then hips and then bend down.
Easy now keep the comments polite.

I set both of my feet first also. The way I do it is place my feet so the cue is directly
above and aligned over the shot line. When I bend down my hips are already set in
position. As I bend over, my bridge hand & cue are in line with both the CB and OB.

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. THINK!
2. AIM!
3. DO IT!

randyg

I do the same things: Although sometimes in a different order:
1. DO IT!
2. THINK! (oh no!)
3. AIM! (where I should have aimed...)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I scope the table prior to each shot, not a complete walk around everytime, but at least a view from the OB to the pocket and a quick full-table scope to make sure what I am thinking of doing is my best option. I might have a plan to shoot 4 or 5 balls really quickly and know exactly where and how to move the CB for each one, but a glance around the table between shots can sometimes reveal a better option or a previously unseen opportunity. This is also when I'm chalking my cue.

Then I stand behind the CB and imagine exactly what I intend to do, getting a feel for exactly how much speed or spin is needed. I imagine the CB striking the OB, and sometimes I even make a little suction-like click sound between my tongue and the roof of my mouth...lol...seriously. I imagine the OB going to the pocket and the CB going where I intend it to go. All of this occurs in less than about 4 or 5 seconds. Longer on more difficult or tricky shots.

Next I step into the shot, paying no attention to exactly where my feet are being placed. They go where they need to go in order for my stroke to be in tune with the alignment of the shot. As I bend over into the stance and place my bridge hand on the table, I sort of bounce the butt of the cue around loose in my hand while fine-tuning my alignment, like the waggle I do just before taking a swing at a golf ball. Sometimes my bridge is open, sometimes it's closed, and it just happens automatically depending on the shot. I don't think about it.

I stroke the cue several times with a normal grip, then take three slower strokes, the first two verifying my shot/aim line, and the final one closing the deal. I release that final stroke and stay down until the ball hits the pocket, unless I have to move out of the way.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visually align the cue to the orientation I need it for the shot and then I position my body to accommodate that. Once I know where the cue has to be, I use the best stance possible to shoot that particular shot.

You have to have your cue in line to make the shot, your body can be in multiple contortions and still make the shot, but if your cue isn't on line you aren't going to be making much of anything.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visually align the cue to the orientation I need it for the shot and then I position my body to accommodate that. Once I know where the cue has to be, I use the best stance possible to shoot that particular shot.

You have to have your cue in line to make the shot, your body can be in multiple contortions and still make the shot, but if your cue isn't on line you aren't going to be making much of anything.

That's John Schmidt's method as well.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Same here. As long you're comfortable, and your cue is on target or in line, that's a good stance.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it just me or are many of these pre-shot "routines" simply what every player does on most shots, more of a common approach to about any pool shot instead of a personalized pre-shot routine?

I mean, every player LOOKS at the shot, THINKS about what they want to do, and then SHOOTS it.. But few incorporate any sort of PSR beyond this standard approach to playing pool. I understand why a PSR is good thing to have if you expect consistency, but is it a necessity for all players?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me or are many of these pre-shot "routines" simply what every player does on most shots, more of a common approach to about any pool shot instead of a personalized pre-shot routine?
I mean, every player LOOKS at the shot, THINKS about what they want to do, and then SHOOTS it.. But few incorporate any sort of PSR beyond this standard approach to playing pool. I understand why a PSR is good thing to have if you expect consistency, but is it a necessity for all players?
-----------

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You state you understand a PSR is a good thing to have if you expect consistency. Then, if that is true, wouldn't logic dictate that a PSR would be a necessity for all players who expect consistency?
:shrug:

Not necessarily. I'm sure there have been (and still are) many great players that have never had a specific pre-shot routine on every shot. Everybody's brain is wired differently. You see it in all sports. One batter in major league baseball may always do the exact same thing before every pitch, like touching or tapping home plate with the bat. Then another just steps up to the plate ready to swing, no warm-ups, no little quirks. Same way with pro golfers. You'll see most doing a pre-swing routine, which usually included a little waggle of the club head before addressing the ball. Then another player just looks down the fairway to where he wants the ball to go, then steps up and swings away.

I believe a PSR would help any player with consistency issues, as long as the issues aren't due to intermittent fundamental flaws with the stroke, grip, alignment, etc... Most players would benefit from a PSR, but not all players need one. It's a great way to program your brain for repetitive action.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I believe a PSR would help any player with consistency issues, as long as the issues aren't due to intermittent fundamental flaws with the stroke, grip, alignment, etc... Most players would benefit from a PSR, but not all players need one. It's a great way to program your brain for repetitive action.

That's why I started this thread. There are numerous players that aren't consistent.
Most replies are from players having some sort of PSR. There are many that don't.

To be consistent I think PSR is important, especially cue alignment on the shot line.
I was just wondering what folks without a PSR think before they bend over to shoot.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
That's why I started this thread. There are numerous players that aren't consistent.
Most replies are from players having some sort of PSR. There are many that don't.

To be consistent I think PSR is important, especially cue alignment on the shot line.
I was just wondering what folks without a PSR think before they bend over to shoot.

I agree. I know before developing a PSR I didn't have a set rhythm or shot process. I'd just look at what needed to happen, think of how to make it happen, then shoot. But these three things themselves had no consistency. I'd rush some shots and overthink others. A PSR keeps things more consistent for me and I find that I seldom rush or take advantage of simple shots anymore.

I think what happens a lot of the time us doubt creeps into the shot. Maybe the player isn't sure about what to do, where to aim or align the stroke, or whatever.... And this causes them to abandon their routine, to rush the shot and just get it over.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not necessarily. I'm sure there have been (and still are) many great players that have never had a specific pre-shot routine on every shot. Everybody's brain is wired differently. You see it in all sports. One batter in major league baseball may always do the exact same thing before every pitch, like touching or tapping home plate with the bat. Then another just steps up to the plate ready to swing, no warm-ups, no little quirks. Same way with pro golfers. You'll see most doing a pre-swing routine, which usually included a little waggle of the club head before addressing the ball. Then another player just looks down the fairway to where he wants the ball to go, then steps up and swings away.

Many years ago, when I played every day and wasn't blind, I used to be able to "free-wheel" like Earl or Keith used to do. I always was a fast shooter and it didn't take me long to see what I needed to do and do it. I would run tables faster than most people would make 3 or 4 balls.

I, also, was scrawny and wiry and could contort my body into all kinds of positions and could shoot behind my back which made me able to not use the bridge as often as a lot of players.

Now that I'm old and blind I can do it on occasions, but I'm not as consistent as I once was. I'm still a faster shooter than most people, but I take a bit more time now so that my eyes can focus a bit before I shoot.

FWIW, I'm still quite a bit more agile than most people my age that I see in the pool hall here and it surprises me how often they get the bridge out on shots that a short little dude like me is able to reach.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
----------------

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago, when I played every day and wasn't blind, I used to be able to "free-wheel" like Earl or Keith used to do. I always was a fast shooter and it didn't take me long to see what I needed to do and do it. I would run tables faster than most people would make 3 or 4 balls.
I, also, was scrawny and wiry and could contort my body into all kinds of positions and could shoot behind my back which made me able to not use the bridge as often as a lot of players.
Now that I'm old and blind I can do it on occasions, but I'm not as consistent as I once was. I'm still a faster shooter than most people, but I take a bit more time now so that my eyes can focus a bit before I shoot.
FWIW, I'm still quite a bit more agile than most people my age that I see in the pool hall here and it surprises me how often they get the bridge out on shots that a short little dude like me is able to reach.
---------------------

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes.....NECESSARILY.
Every consistent player has a specific PSR....all of them. They do not jump up there willy-nilly and whack at the balls in a different way each time.
They don't write about it in pool chat forums, but they have one. ALL the consistent shooters had or have one.
And to mention baseball as a comparison to pool for anything is laughable.
In baseball, if a player hits just 5 out of 10 times at bat he will be heralded as the greatest thing in years and be in the hall of fame ahead of Cobb.
In pool, if a player makes just 5 out of 10 of his shots...then he's a no-shooting, can't play a lick, bum.

I would never assume a great player just jumps up and "willy-nilly" whacks at the balls. Lol. That's a pretty ignorant assumption. But there are players that do not repeat the exact same routine for every shot. This means they don't have a set PSR. They process things differently. Believe it or not, human beings aren't equal when it comes to brain power and the brain's ability to consistently perform at a high level.

And the comparison I was making was not one sport to another. It was one routine to another, be it a pre-swing or pre-throw or pre-hit or pre-shot....they all have the same purpose of programming your brain and body for consistency. What's laughable is to believe that each of these individual routines are not comparable. Read any book on brain function regarding muscle memory and repitition.