Rail Covering Trick on GC V

In my recent purchase of a GC Vi ran across an interesting problem while covering the rails. On GC V’s and possibly the VI the rails have a completely new design. The rails are cut at a more dramatic angle. Nothing to do with pocket angles. Has to do with the angles cut where the rail meets the pocket casting. As such the feather strip extends to the ends of the rails as you would expect. However, because of the new casting design there is and area at the end where the feather strip extends past the major part of the rail. This leaves one side of the feather strip without any place to bind the felt. Then when stretching the felt to close the pockets it has a tendency to pull out and well....that’s when you start over.

So I came up with a little solution. Not sure if anyone has another solution but what I did was to lightly most the area with 3M 77. This gives enough hold to complete the rail covering process without it pulling out.
7febc4a8d37ce4048f11f51aa81d9875.heic
e9369c5993ead1d6701e83229f7766ed.heic
756a77d9a11bc5765e5baba5a0128560.heic
a46f6a21c7957c29adc5b3954651d203.heic

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
5c50813f1f7217c00c7fd01fbc265c19.heic
45ca4e17003e5e4b26a11819d42f9add.heic

Last edited:

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
I have done this on some worn out dado groove at the end of the rails on Brunswick gold crowns. Seems to work great. Did not have any pull outs in a commercial environment for 6 years in between recovers. I haven't had the pleasure of recovering a Gold Crown V yet.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have done this on some worn out dado groove at the end of the rails on Brunswick gold crowns. Seems to work great. Did not have any pull outs in a commercial environment for 6 years in between recovers. I haven't had the pleasure of recovering a Gold Crown V yet.

I don't have the pull out problem and don't use spray glue:thumbup:

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
...and not all of us have been taught how to replace crappy subrails. Still waiting on my shot at 40 years old.

On other Gold Crowns I have not had this issue. The feather strip (on the corners in particular) extends and is supported on both sides by the sub rail. However because of the new design of the corner castings it leaves the feather strip exposed and non binding.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
On other Gold Crowns I have not had this issue. The feather strip (on the corners in particular) extends and is supported on both sides by the sub rail. However because of the new design of the corner castings it leaves the feather strip exposed and non binding.

Diamond's have been unsupported at the ends of the feather strips for well over 30 years, and still don't require any spray glue to hold the cloth in place.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Understood. I am just giving you my experience on this table. That’s all I can go by. I am sure you would have figured out a much better solution.

If the feather strips fit right, there's no need to do anything extra, BUT if you do, try cutting a piece of 80grt sand paper in strips, then lay the strips down grit side up at the bottom of the feather strip dado, unlike spray glue, it won't have any effect pulling the feather strip out next time.

If the feather strips fit right, there's no need to do anything extra, BUT if you do, try cutting a piece of 80grt sand paper in strips, then lay the strips down grit side up at the bottom of the feather strip dado, unlike spray glue, it won't have any effect pulling the feather strip out next time.

You are the man Glen. I guess I should have asked. Oh wait i did. Lol