Cue tip survey and opinions wanted

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talisman Water Buffalo Hard - My established favorite commercial tip that was installed ~8 years ago. Harder than tips which are typically rated as hard, except for Kamui. A more recent sample was just OK (played like an Emerald). If I could buy more tips like the first, it would be my primary tip.

Zan Grip Hard - A step up in hardness vs. most hard tips (except the older TWBH) . Continued use keeps revealing how great this tip is. It could become my favorite commercial tip with additional experience.

G2 Hard – Starts off a bit softer than most hard tips (closer to medium-hard), but hardens to similar performance fairly quickly and remains that hardness with extended use. No mushrooming. Performance remains great over the life of the tip. I really like the tips, but expensive vs. Precision Hard or Instroke Hard. The appearance of fake/pseudo G2s makes it difficult to justify taking the chance.

Precision Hard. Great tip. Vey similar to a few other hard tips, e.g., Instroke Hard, Talisman Pro Hard, Moori III Quick. No mushrooming. Performance remains great with extended use. Great price and available directly from the company. Assurance of original quality is a huge advantage.

Instroke Hard - Great tip at a similar price and performance to Precision. I have used several Instroke Hard tips and was happy with all of them. However, the ready availability of Precision Hard tips and the similar performance gives Precision the edge.

Talisman Pro Hard - A great hard tip. Very similar in performance and feel to Instroke Hard and Precision Hard. Actually, the tip is so similar in performance and cut to Instroke Hard, that I would not be surprised to find out it was actually the same tip sold under different brand names.

Kamui Clear Black Medium - I only have one experience with a tip purchased a few years ago. It plays more like a medium-hard tip. Excellent feel, no mushrooming. Performance remains great with extended use.

Moori III Quick - One example from 2007 was an excellent tip. Not sure if it was a Moori or a counterfeit, but it was a great tip. The tips mushroomed a bit and needed one reshaping over the 6 years I used it. Eventually, it delaminated.

Moori IV Medium - I only had experience with one for a month or so, but it was a really fine tip. Played harder than I expected, similar to the KCBM.

Kamui Black Hard - Too hard for me at the time I tried it. Too many miscues, even when trying to keep the tip evenly chalked. Too expensive for use as a break tip, but it worked really well in that regard.

Triangle - A fine tip when you get a good one. They wear down pretty fast.

Tiger Emerald - Good tip for the money, but I was not particularly excited about it. I prefer all of the previous tips I mentioned over it.

Tiger Everest - Too soft for me. I really don’t care for it.

Morakami Black Hard - Only one experience from a few years ago. Not my style. Very similar to Tiger Emerald in performance. The shaft sat in the case until the tip was changed.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Triangle - A fine tip when you get a good one. They wear down pretty fast."

That has not been my experience at all. When pressed and installed properly I almost never have to shape them. Mine can last years. Let me say that I rotate between four pretty much identical shafts and play 15 to 20 hours a week. I might go about a month before I take a tip tool out.

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamikaze M, I've had a lot of luck with them for myself and friends. They see to last with little glazing.
Other than that an Othello WB

Last edited: