Poor performance in my matches

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need some advice from the pros and instructors here! Been shooting for 3 years now and also this my 3rd year in the local 8 ball league. I practice every chance I get, working on drills, stroke, pre shot routine and basically all the fundamentals that go with that.
I’m finally improving in every aspect of it. My problem is during competition I’m missing easy shots, can’t visual easy run outs, even losing matches with 2 balls left with ball in hand. I’d say I shoot at about 50% of my skill level during my matches. It doesn’t happen every match but enough that I’m asking for help. I really enjoy pool! Its very frustrating however, when your making balls and even running a few racks from time to time at home and then can’t carry that over during competition! I’m sure it’s some sort of anxiety / nerves issue. So my question is does this go away with experience? Is this a common thing amongst beginners? Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me solve this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, mike

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I would have to say there are 2 main things that stick out:

1. You are putting too much pressure on yourself to perform.
2. You lack confidence.

There could be other issues here too but these are the big one for sure.

There are many books on the mental aspects of the game. A couple I would recommend are The inner game of tennis, Play great pool by Mark Wilson. They cover a lot of information on why we under perform in competition. There is also You Tube videos that cover this topic as well.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to say there are 2 main things that stick out:

1. You are putting too much pressure on yourself to perform.
2. You lack confidence.

There could be other issues here too but these are the big one for sure.

There are many books on the mental aspects of the game. A couple I would recommend are The inner game of tennis, Play great pool by Mark Wilson. They cover a lot of information on why we under perform in competition. There is also You Tube videos that cover this topic as well.

Your correct in both points. I put lots of pressure on myself. I hate to lose! Also don’t want to let the team down! I will check these books out also, thanks you.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need some advice from the pros and instructors here! Been shooting for 3 years now and also this my 3rd year in the local 8 ball league. I practice every chance I get, working on drills, stroke, pre shot routine and basically all the fundamentals that go with that.
I’m finally improving in every aspect of it. My problem is during competition I’m missing easy shots, can’t visual easy run outs, even losing matches with 2 balls left with ball in hand. I’d say I shoot at about 50% of my skill level during my matches. It doesn’t happen every match but enough that I’m asking for help. I really enjoy pool! Its very frustrating however, when your making balls and even running a few racks from time to time at home and then can’t carry that over during competition! I’m sure it’s some sort of anxiety / nerves issue. So my question is does this go away with experience? Is this a common thing amongst beginners? Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me solve this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, mike

Actually, most competitors have this problem. Only a few don't. Most amateur players can expect to lose a minimum of 30 percent of their game in competition.

Suggestion: Study sports psychology in other sports. They are much more advanced in other sports where there's a lot more at stake in prize money. The mentality is the same. The only thing different is the sport.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Your correct in both points. I put lots of pressure on myself. I hate to lose! Also don’t want to let the team down! I will check these books out also, thanks you.

You may be thinking about the outcome of the game or match, rather than focusing on the shot in front of you. Focus on each shot and the match will take care of itself.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Two things that help me in this area are:
1. Play a LOT more, especially in competition. Familiarity does bring comfort.
2. Realize everyone misses shots and makes mistakes. It isn't necessarily that you miss the 8 ball any more than the 4 ball, you just remember it more. The other guy misses too. Missing is part of the game and everyone does it. You are probably just as likely to miss the first ball of a run out as the last but your expectation builds as you get close to the end.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Actually, most competitors have this problem. Only a few don't. Most amateur players can expect to lose a minimum of 30 percent of their game in competition.

Suggestion: Study sports psychology in other sports. They are much more advanced in other sports where there's a lot more at stake in prize money. The mentality is the same. The only thing different is the sport.

Good advice - very good.

Happy new Year Fran :)