Cue tip survey and opinions wanted

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
This survey and opinion request is for user with experience. What I am looking for is your opinion on all of the tips you have actually tried or played with. I would like to see your listing from best to worst and maybe opinions about each tip. I will start so you have an example.

1. Kamui Clear Black Super Soft = Current favorite tip. Looking for less expensive equivalent style of tip.

2. Dennis Searing Precision Soft = Nice tip with no issues.

3. Ultraskin Black Soft = nice tip with no issues.

4. Tiger Everest Medium = Decent tip but would sometimes glaze over.

5. Talisman Medium = Decent tip with no issues.

6. Triangle Medium = Nice tip with no issues.

7. LePro Medium = Decent tip for a medium hardness single layer.

7. Elk Master soft = Cheap tip that I never really cared for.

The Kamui Super soft is my current favorite due to it's soft feel and ability to "grab" the cue ball. No issues yet with glazing or mushrooming either. This is the tip I will continue to use unless I can find a less expensive equivalent. The search is on.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't like the Elkmaster, but did you ever play with a pressed Elkmaster? Efren used to play with one.

r/DCP

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use triangles.
$13 installed at my local Billiards store.
No issues.
And I've tried many layered tips.
Not worth the money for the high end ones.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Played with every one listed, its always nice to try something new or different but after all those plus a few more I always go back to the Kamui black SS. When the Searing fad hit I figured what the hell and we tried a few, without a doubt the worst tips I have ever used. Im no "player" but even the ones I let use it said the same. There was no transfer of feel from the tip to the shaft.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Lately I've been enjoying the Victory soft on my Revo's. No mushrooming or shaping since I got them. One has been about 7 months.

Next favorite is the ultraskin pro. Cheap & no issues.

Cyborg quick. Good tip,no issues, produced lots of English

Original medium moori. Great tips and held up long.

Those above would be my go too tips.

Have tried many others but didn't like them for certain reasons. This bunch would be tiger, kamui clear black medium, lepro, precision med, sib pro, cyborg medium. To be honest, lots in this list I may have not given enough time to get to like or enjoy.

Tips I have ready to try but enjoying the Victory too much to switch at the moment include: g2 medium & soft, zan hybrid max

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried a brand new Moori tip and sorry to say it does not feel like the original Moori brown on my EP cue.
In hndsight, I suppose I could attibute the difference in the cue I tried and my own but it seemed different.

Having said that, I settled on Kamui Clear Black soft that's on nearly all of my cues; previously played Kamui Black. medium.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I now play with Kamui Black SS and Soft tips. I have not tried the Clears. But the spring effect that Kamui talks about I can tell with their tips.

I played with Kamikaze Black Med. tips for about two years before I switched to the Kamuis. The Kamikaze Black Medium tip plays about the same hardness as the Kamui SS and Soft tips. Dose not glaze and does not mushroom. When I can't afford the Kamuis I will be happy with them.

I use Magjc chalk and never have had a problem with glazing with the Kamui tips.

Don't know if the glazing problem with Tiger Everest tips would stop with the Magic Chalk or not. Used to love them for about one and a half months then they started glazing.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen a Tiger tip that wasn't worthless in 2 weeks, especially Everest.
I buy Precison Tips from Dennis Searing. Both the soft and medium play well,
don't mushroom and perform consistently as they age.
Another great tip is the Morakami Brown in soft or medium. They move the ball to
exactly where you want it.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Currently playing with one of Searings, but going to put a milk dud from pooldawg8 back on the cue when this tip is done. Played with a Kamui super soft for awhile, but the milk dud is easily my favorite.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All good:

Predator Victory
Everest
Ultra Skin soft/med
Triange
Lepro

Precsion Soft...just installed one on a Revo....will use and follow up. Was a good tip to work with.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
My forever favorite is the Talisman water buffalo hard. Talisman hard and the Dawgduds are tied for a close second.
I tried Kamuis and was not impressed to say the least.

Update to make a correction. I received my new Dawgduds the other day and installed one on a couple shafts on my main playing cues. They're definitely as good as my beloved talisman water buffalo hard tips. Since they are pressed they are shorter than a new talisman. They also may not hold chalk quite as well. If you chalk after every shot it won't be an issue. Switching shafts while practicing, I find myself logging more time with the duds. I'm very happy with them -especially for the price and quick shipping.

Last edited:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I am currently trying a Kamikaze super soft on my Jacoby Hybrid edge shaft. Won the first tournament that I played with it the day after install. Short races tournament so I will be better able to tell how much I like it after straight pool session starts next week.

Will post updates.

Thanks

Kevin

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am currently trying a Kamikaze super soft on my Jacoby Hybrid edge shaft. Won the first tournament that I played with it the day after install. Short races tournament so I will be better able to tell how much I like it after straight pool session starts next week.

Will post updates.

Thanks

Kevin

Hey Kevin....
Congratulations on your win! Hope the Kamikaze SS continues to perform well for you. Typically with the SS, you may, or not have to trim up after the break-in period. After that, you should be good to go....Good luck and shoot well.
Thanks for the initial feedback...
Carlos