Summer time motivation for once.

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found myself motivated for the first time in a long time to better my game during the summer months. Ive always been one to play less when it's warm and spend more time out doors.

This year is different. I just invested a large sum of money in my man cave and have completely refurnished my pool room. I've always been a b player. (Skill level 5 in aPA back and forth between 4 and 5 in TAP) my main problem is consistency and reading a rack. I am an avid 8 ball player and can consistently break and run 5-7 balls but will choke on an easy shot when I know I could finish the run or will run myself into a corner where I have no options to go from.

I guess what I'm looking for is a better mindset to keep from getting excited when I know a break n run is right there a shot or two away, or instead of trying to run the rack having the ability to slow myself down and look ahead for a good moment or position to set up for safety play

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I guess what I'm looking for is a better mindset to keep from getting excited when I know a break n run is right there a shot or two away, or instead of trying to run the rack having the ability to slow myself down and look ahead for a good moment or position to set up for safety play
As mentioned in other threads, "The Inner Game of Tennis" may help.

What are you doing to improve your fundamentals? What are you doing to improve your knowledge?

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I follow on "the inner game of tennis" I'll do some digging later this evening on that.

As far as my fundamentals lately (the last week maybe 10 days) I've been consciously focusing on staying down on my shots while running some simple drills. Stop shots draw shots follow etc mainly because I'm told I jump up wen the pressure is on.

I've also started watching/rewatching the VEPS/VEPP series picking up things I haven't seen/heard before or don't remember from yhe first run through

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I follow on "the inner game of tennis" I'll do some digging later this evening on that.

As far as my fundamentals lately (the last week maybe 10 days) I've been consciously focusing on staying down on my shots while running some simple drills. Stop shots draw shots follow etc mainly because I'm told I jump up wen the pressure is on.

I've also started watching/rewatching the VEPS/VEPP series picking up things I haven't seen/heard before or don't remember from yhe first run through

For the video stuff, be sure that you spend time on the table for each thing you cover. It's one thing to get the info into your brain, and another to get it into your arm.

For practice, I think you're on the right track. Practice what you have trouble with.

Good luck with your game.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lviss42189...In addition to what Bob said, you might invest a little more in a professional video analysis. That will show EXACTLY what you're doing, and if you're doing it the same way each time. Denny Stewart operates the Ohio Pool School. He's a PBIA master instructor, and can help you with the problems you described here, as well as checking your fundamentals. Find him on FB, or call him at 419-217-8535. He will give you what you're looking for, or he won't charge you a dime! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the video stuff, be sure that you spend time on the table for each thing you cover. It's one thing to get the info into your brain, and another to get it into your arm.

For practice, I think you're on the right track. Practice what you have trouble with.

Good luck with your game.

I have a projector set up in my pool room hooked up to a DVD player. I'm usually standing at the table while watching the series. Makes things much easier to visualize and duplicate set ups when it comes down to it.

Appreciate the input though glad to know I'm at least working the right direction.

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lviss42189...In addition to what Bob said, you might invest a little more in a professional video analysis. That will show EXACTLY what you're doing, and if you're doing it the same way each time. Denny Stewart operates the Ohio Pool School. He's a PBIA master instructor, and can help you with the problems you described here, as well as checking your fundamentals. Find him on FB, or call him at 419-217-8535. He will give you what you're looking for, or he won't charge you a dime! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Thank you. I found him on Facebook will reach out to him when it's not 2 in the morning