Which CNC

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I am now looking for a complete CNC machine, and I am giving up on my homemade one. I have done some looking around and am a bit confused as to which machine is worth what they are charging. Any good advice as to which manufacturer's machine is good for cuemaking purposes? Looking for 24"x48" preferably. I have looked through pages of the search here and decided against the Xzero brand.
Any advice is appreciated.
Dave

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I went on his facebook page and read the posts from people, and he didn't even recognize his own equipment, let alone there was quite a bit of equipment failures, some due to plastic bushings used as spacers to compensate for sloppy assemblies, for lack of a better description.
Not knocking, just explaining what I saw for posts.
Hence my post asking as to what machine fits our needs .Woodcraft has a machine, at 24:x48" working size, but doesn't have enough clearance to have a headstock/tailstock setup
Dave

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
Xzero looks to be finished

You can look at the machines that inspired the xzero and pay a little more and get a truly legitimate machine.
Sorotec

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone should get with cncrouterparts.com and see if they can fill our need. I have owned one of their machines and built another using their parts. They are a solid company that has been around for a while- affordable - and very involved in the home shop/ diy machinery. Their large machines use rack and pinion which is no good but their liner rails are pretty inexpensive innovative and I saw a while back a video of someone assembling one of their newer version machines with ball screws. I bet if they knew there was a need that they would be happy to accommodate.

digdug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cnc

Uniques CNC Rage. I have two of them. A two head and a four head. Very happy, and they are great to deal with. Ask for Jim Sickles

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, I have got a home made CNC router, so is similar to quite a few that on the market.
I don't think it is any where near ridgid enough. If you touch the bed, it can be easily moved by 0.05mm for example. But is fine for making wood profiles or simple stuff that does not need to be any more accurate than 0.05mm +- so a total of 0.1
So will wait untill I get another machine made before doing a 4th axis work.
Neil

JC

Coos Cues

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he is a great seller and very knowledgeable. 300oz steppers will work just fine with the g540.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Are you thinking that the accuracy and repeatability of his spindle is satisfactory for cue work?

I think it will do, he says .005mm or .0002" run-out....doesn't sound bad....much better than any router would be.
Dave

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
So, I was just getting ready to restore the computer that I will be using and realized it doesn't have a parallel port. Will a Gecko540 and mach3 run ok with a add-on parallel port card, or should I look at USB controllers? I have tried to google it and came up with many differing opinions on other forums and now am very confused as to what I should do.
Dave

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am using an Ethernet SmoothStepper on my 64-bit Windows 10 computer in conjunction with a Gecko G540 and Mach3. I believe the Ethernet is generally preferred over the USB model.
My 2 cents,
Gary