both players in their prime years, which would be your dream match?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi vs Thorsten Hohman straight pool race to 1000 points. I'd like to see slow cloth, small pocket 10 foot table. It would be a brutal test of skill.

Efren Reyes vs. Earl Strickland (thank God that allready happened):), but I'd like to see them both at their peaks. 9 ball.

Worst vs. just about anybody. I suspect the rumors of his skill are highly exaggerated, but it would be good just to see.

Walther Lindrum vs. Ronnie O'Sullivan. Snooker. Lindrum being the man who was so good that they actually had to change the rules of his game to give the others a chance. I wonder if that has ever happened in any other sport, ever?! I kind of suspect he'd be ok at snooker as well, though he considered it an inferior game.

Last edited:
I would love to see Jean Balukas vs Allison Fisher (when both players were in their prime). Who do you think was the stronger 9 ball player? Would love to know for sure.

Would also love to see a young Johnny Archer (in his prime), against any of the strongest young guns of today.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like the Ronnie Allen vs Efren, but I would have loved to see Buddy Hall vs Luther Lassiter for some big stacks!

Buddy and Luther in their primes would be a great match.
They had a mutual admiration society...both said the other was the best.

I might like Buddy in his prime against anybody at 9-ball....
....if he had Billy Johnson breaking for him.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harold Worst vs efren one pocket and 9 ball

willie vs harold straight pool

eddie taylor vs brambeck banks

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My take on Worst vs. Efren all around match; Three Cushions - Worst (by a mile!), Snooker - Worst, 9-Ball - Worst, One Pocket - Efren, 14.1 - Worst, Eight Ball - a toss up. Sorry to disappoint you Efren fans, but Worst excelled at all games! Given a couple of months to prepare I suspect he would have been a great match for Efren at One Pocket as well. I've seen 'em all the last fifty years and Worst had no equal.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
My take on Worst vs. Efren all around match; Three Cushions - Worst (by a mile!), Snooker - Worst, 9-Ball - Worst, One Pocket - Efren, 14.1 - Worst, Eight Ball - a toss up. Sorry to disappoint you Efren fans, but Worst excelled at all games! Given a couple of months to prepare I suspect he would have been a great match for Efren at One Pocket as well. I've seen 'em all the last fifty years and Worst had no equal.

How about chess?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Lindrum being the man who was so good that they actually had to change the rules of his game to give the others a chance. I wonder if that has ever happened in any other sport, ever?! ...

Basketball -- Wilt Chamberlain caused changes in both court dimensions (width of the foul lane in the pros) and some rules (college).

[And how about Corey Deuel's effect on break rules in pool?]

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay if he had no equal are you saying that prime to prime he dominates Mosconi in 14.1?