Genuine shark skin wrap?

TheDirtyBird

Registered
I am looking into replacing the wrap on my Schon cue. I am wanting to try a genuine shark skin wrap. Has anyone ever used that before? What is the texture like? I would hate to spend almost $100 for a wrap and not like it.

PoppaSaun

Banned
A lot is going to depend on the finish on the leather.

That said, I've had sharkskin boots that were relatively smooth, but my dad's sharkskin boots were relatively rough, kinda like soft traction tape.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the Shark. Bull Shark is the most common and has a semi-soft textured feel. It needs to be around .025 without producing holes that will leak glue upon installation. If done right the only drawback will be the seam,because of the texture, won't be hidden.

TheDirtyBird

Registered
Depends on the Shark. Bull Shark is the most common and has a semi-soft textured feel. It needs to be around .025 without producing holes that will leak glue upon installation. If done right the only drawback will be the seam,because of the texture, won't be hidden.
When you say you can see the seam...is it just visible or is it very noticeable to the touch as well?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Becoming a top player is fraught with difficulties....
...long periods of economic instability...
Now it's just gotten incredibly more difficult...
...when you get to be a shark, they might skin you and use you for a wrap.....:eek:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot is going to depend on the finish on the leather.

That said, I've had sharkskin boots that were relatively smooth, but my dad's sharkskin boots were relatively rough, kinda like soft traction tape.

Just like everything else. It's all about personal preference. I like shark and have installed it. It has a simular feel to elephant. Non slip good grip. Don't burn it. It definitely smells like fish. Lol

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Depends on the fish. In the '60s, I had a shark skin suit. It was really slick.

At least that is what the salesman told me when I bought it.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I had one and did not like it, the ridges were sharp in my hand. Maybe it depends on the shark or the finish.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you say you can see the seam...is it just visible or is it very noticeable to the touch as well?

The skin has peaks and valleys that won't butt up perfectly, more to the visual than feel. That is why it is important to get a quality skived skin. Depends on the installer and their experience in working with the skin too.

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just like everything else. It's all about personal preference. I like shark and have installed it. It has a simular feel to elephant. Non slip good grip. Don't burn it. It definitely smells like fish. Lol

Hi Mike,

I have been told shark skin does not stretch much and is not very forgiving when installing. just wondering what your thoughts were on that?

take care,
Jayman

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike,

I have been told shark skin does not stretch much and is not very forgiving when installing. just wondering what your thoughts were on that?

take care,
Jayman

Hi Jay
Every peice of shark I have done has had incredible stretch to it and very easy to push together on the seam. When using contact cement this can be a problem with any leather and stretching because it can shrink or pull back. Some Cue makers are having this problem with other leathers. Most leathers have some stretch to them. Shark has alot of stretch. I don't use contact cement for leather. I use old fashion Elmers school glue. But....but but:D
It is very unforgiving as it dries quick. Contact may hold and a lot of people use it but it never dries. It stays tacky.