Book: Upscale OnePocket

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As a beginner did you benefit from reading it. Would you recommend it. BUT..you had to read this as a newbie with no OnePocket experience. Helpful or not? Thanks. Frank

Last edited:

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a beginner did you benefit from reading it. YES Would you recommend it. YES BUT..you had to read this as a newbie with no OnePocket experience. Helpful or not? YES Thanks. Frank

Very thorough for a beginner. Very well organized, although he spends a lot of paper on banking. But banking can be a big part of the game. Not as much defensively as I had hoped, even though he mentioned that in a study (ACCU-STATS) of one pocket shots; 53% were defensive shots; 47% offensive. I would have liked to have seen more text devoted to the defense.
Pages 1–184 are Text including an introduction. Pages 185–210 are Glossary. Pages 211–212 are Epilogue.
Dave

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did not like it as a beginner with no experience. I currently have some experience and glanced through it again. At this point ....there is a lot of filler. A lot of non 1P info. This next paragraph is without a doubt the most ridiculous statement I have ever read in an instructional pool book.

Attachments

• 8F2B06EE-4FB3-409A-A179-610DFF9F6963.jpg
    8F2B06EE-4FB3-409A-A179-610DFF9F6963.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 317

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i know we disagree on this
but i found the book helpfull as a beginner
explaing basic concepts on strategy/rules/andshotsbut new to someone that doesnt know the game
we agree the advice on chalk could have been edited out...:D

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
explaing basic concepts on strategy/rules/andshotsbut new to someone that doesnt know the game

I agree with you Larry. It's a good book with lots of useful information, except for that paragraph on chalk. Nothing much worse than drilling a hole through the chalk with tip. Brushing it over the tip is much more effective and less wasteful. Besides that, I still open the book up occassionally to look for things I maybe overlooked years ago.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree with you Larry. It's a good book with lots of useful information, except for that paragraph on chalk. Nothing much worse than drilling a hole through the chalk with tip. Brushing it over the tip is much more effective and less wasteful. Besides that, I still open the book up occassionally to look for things I maybe overlooked years ago.

Paying for ridiculous filler...How about the sentence that says a lighter cue hits more accurately. As for the chalk ...don't share yours...oh please. However I don't...I'm usually holding mine by habit and get bawled out for hoarding.
Ok..aside from the fact some do/don't benefit from the book 25% belongs in "Filler for Dummies". Anyway I'm bashing the filler. The most interesting aspect I got out of UPSCALE was HERDING balls. That stuck in my mind. One good point from any source is a something learned.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Paying for ridiculous filler...How about the sentence that says a lighter cue hits more accurately. As for the chalk ...don't share yours...oh please. However I don't...I'm usually holding mine by habit and get bawled out for hoarding.
Ok..aside from the fact some do/don't benefit from the book 25% belongs in "Filler for Dummies". Anyway I'm bashing the filler. The most interesting aspect I got out of UPSCALE was HERDING balls. That stuck in my mind. One good point from any source is a something learned.

First off, I honestly believe the best 1hole book available is Tom Wirth's, A Game of Controlled Agression. But for someone not sure about wanting to learn the game, Upscale One Pocket is a good book for starting.

In bold above....Jack doesn't give details on why he says a lighter cue hits more accurately, but he's sort of right, considering how a lighter cue stick could deflect more, or more easily, and thereby reduce cb squirt.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
First off, I honestly believe the best 1hole book available is Tom Wirth's, A Game of Controlled Agression. But for someone not sure about wanting to learn the game, Upscale One Pocket is a good book for starting.

In bold above....Jack doesn't give details on why he says a lighter cue hits more accurately, but he's sort of right, considering how a lighter cue stick could deflect more, or more easily, and thereby reduce cb squirt.

Yep..Tom's book sets the standard for 1P instruction. And no filler....but it's not for beginners but then again why not....every scenario comes right into play. Interesting when we follow Tom's path...we play someone and see the mistakes they are making. And classic mistakes. And over and over. Filler is for turkey stuffing and Mrs. Pauls fish cakes.

Last edited: