Old Falcon Cue

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased this old Falcon cue from ebay. I dug through my files of old cue catalogs and found an early (perhaps inaugural) Falcon catalog and see this listed as the high end model and it simply says 24. In my catalog photo the birdseye has a reddish stain and the Falcon logo is actually silkscreened onto the wood in a silver color, versus the buttcap. Can one of the experts on here tell me more about this cue?

Attachments

• Falcon1.jpg
    Falcon1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 7,982
  • Falcon2.jpg
    Falcon2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 5,257
  • Falcon3.jpg
    Falcon3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 6,372

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't tell you anything about your Falcon cue but it is the nicest one I seen in quite sometime.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I saw that one on Ebay....darn nice.

I wish I knew more about it but I can say that some of the old Falcons certainly are maturing well and looking better if you know what I mean. I am sure they will attract more attention as time goes on. That one looks like a real gem.

:)

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just another clue that JOSS did make these early cues. If you look at this early TYLER photo (sorry, best pic I could find of the experimental cue line that Dan Janes started and was endorsed by Nick Varner and Mike Sigel) look at the cue on the far right. From what I can tell the butt looks identical to this. Just piecing it all together.

Attachments

• tylerv4_v24.jpg
    tylerv4_v24.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 5,730

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember that model cue actually. I think it was a Nick Varner signature model and was from maybe 1992 or 1993 but I can't find the catalog anywhere.
It was one of the top two models with this one being in the same catalog if I remember.

1008-lrg.jpg

Nice cue. I think the only reason why I didn't ever go with Falcon instead of Joss back then was because of Bone inlay vs. Ivory.

The Tyler Cues are really neat. Dan Janes and I passed a few emails back and forth at one time about those.
There's still a shop in Germany that last I checked had some a few new/old stock models left. That was probably a year or so back though.

Eric

Last edited:

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
What is the cue's length?

If it is 57 inches, it was the cue Nick actually used.

Dick Abbott had this model cue and sold it a few years ago.

Always liked this model.

If interested in selling, let me know.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is 57 inches, it was the cue Nick actually used.

Dick Abbott had this model cue and sold it a few years ago.

Always liked this model.

If interested in selling, let me know.

Hi Josh,

We can meet up at Diamonds this weekend if you like. I might be playing in that qualifier on Saturday and I can bring along the FALCON. Received the cue in yesterday and its a beauty. Shoot me a PM or Facebook me. I'll give you a great deal on it if you inspect it and like it. I think this particular cue was purchased and held onto and has never hit a ball. It is brand new and still has the weight sticker. Shoot me a pm.

Matt

iamsanman

Registered
I know this is an old thread, but Matt do you still have that old catalog? Is there some way you could scan and send it to me? I have been looking around for a while and there is little info on these early Falcon cues. I have 2 Nick Varner cues in green. One is very plain with a Phenolic brown joint and another with simple diamonds and a Stainless joint. I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The little bit I know is that Ernie Chan(I believe that is his last name)started Mohawk cues first. These where loose copies of SW cues, that where sold through a guy in jersey. It is my understanding that most of these cues warped. I was lucky to find a perfectly straight one and love it. I heard Laurie at SW wasn't to happy at a cue convention and possibly threatened a lawsuit. No idea if that's true. The next step was a partnership with Joss, Tyler cues. With the knowledge from Joss, Falcon was created for the American market, hence bone inlays allowing importing with no ivory concerns. The early falcons had the logo on the forearm near the joint. This was then relocated to the buttcap. Following that, I think 5 or so years ago, all the equipment was shipped to China and the rest is history. There are other brands from the falcon factory too.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
The cue in the first picture,is either an identical model,or perhaps the exact cue Bustamante played with when he first came to America,I've seen at least 2 Accu-Stats matches with him using one just like it.

That model was the MACK DADDY of Falcon Cues in those days. Tommy D.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is really funny to me.

Just another clue that JOSS did make these early cues. If you look at this early TYLER photo (sorry, best pic I could find of the experimental cue line that Dan Janes started and was endorsed by Nick Varner and Mike Sigel) look at the cue on the far right. From what I can tell the butt looks identical to this. Just piecing it all together.

So many Cues sold at trade shows for example are manufactured by Joss. He listens as people buying Cues talking about how great certain Cues are and why they just bought one.
Turns out a lot of Cues sold may not say Joss on them but were manufactured by Joss. You might hear these Cues were built to for example Brunswick specs or this or that. Or nothing at all for years.
There is no telling and I mean that literally how many Cues are in players hands that will tell you they don't like the Joss Cues that are holding a Cue Danny has built.
Nick :)

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
Ok...I gotta show mine.....

Hi, I really love the green color combo of the OP's cue thats awesome and one I have never seen...I picked this one up awhile back and haven;t found out any info on it as of yet but it sure looks and plays great.....just thought I would share and maybe someone could chime in on the model or where to find out any info on it.....thanks gary

Attachments

• 2013-12-05 00.03.24.jpg
    2013-12-05 00.03.24.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4,382
  • 2013-12-05 00.03.44.jpg
    2013-12-05 00.03.44.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 4,194
  • 2013-12-05 00.03.55.jpg
    2013-12-05 00.03.55.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 4,682
  • 2013-12-05 00.04.32.jpg
    2013-12-05 00.04.32.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 4,224

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sold my FALCON to my friend Tom - and he says its the best playing cue he's ever hit a ball with. He loves it (and he owns quite a few good cues).

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's one on c- list near me. Might go check it out. These are pretty neat cues for sure

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

auksaki

Registered
I know this is an old thread, but Matt do you still have that old catalog? Is there some way you could scan and send it to me? I have been looking around for a while and there is little info on these early Falcon cues. I have 2 Nick Varner cues in green. One is very plain with a Phenolic brown joint and another with simple diamonds and a Stainless joint. I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

Yeah Matt there's any possibility you can share the old catalog with us? Because i have old falcon cue too but not sure what series are. Btw that's a beautiful falcon cue, really classic.

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Falcon cue question...

I think a friend of mine owns the same cue. Have to ask him about that tomorrow. Only thing I remember is he's called it an F-24... and that it's been a limited one...

My friend showed me the cue this weekend – and it's a keeper! He told me, that Falcon has used real ivory for this one – instead of antlers or horn as usual.

By the way:
The F-24B is the one with red stained forearm.

Last edited: