Lou Butera Cue

tig

Registered
DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about this cue? I've never seen another like it and I can't find anything on the web that would tell me who made it. I've never seen a Lou Butera with the signature anywhere but the forearm.

tig

Registered
It can't be a remake because the cue is from the 70's, I was told 1977 when I bought it but the owner didn't know the manufacturer. It's in really good shape for a cue that old but there is a very slight warp in the butt forearm. Shaft rolls straight. Even the Adams remakes have the signature on the forearm and not the butt cap. Thanks for the reply though. I wonder if it's an original Adams or Helmstetter?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't get the application of the term "re-make" in the above discussion.

It's definitely Asian IMHO. I doubt it is from the 70's but I guess it could be. It does not look like an Adam to me. It does look like a Kao-Kao cue.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
It might be a Schrager because Lou was on Burt's brochures in the 70s and he played with Berts cues for a long time.

My good friend and mentor Stew worked in Bert's shop at that time and I will show him your pic later today.

I also know that Lou later got a contract and represented the Rich Cue company for a while also so if it is a Rich it would be a production not a custom. If the cue has Lou's real signature it would be a custom Schrager, if it is a production decal signature I think it may be a Rich Cue. It may have been Helmstetter or Adams but someone made a Lou Butera Replica Cue. BTW, Not Abe Rich!

I will get back to post later after Stew takes a look. He will have the skinny on this as he was friends with Lou and his son.

Rick

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Stew just got here and looked at your pics.

This cue is not a Schrager Cue. Bert used a big pin flat face joint.

It is a product replica unit probably a Rich Cue????

Rick

tig

Registered
Thanks guys. It really is hard to pin this one down. Didn't think it was a Schrager (that would have been too good to be true) but I don't believe it's Asian either. It's not an actual signature, definitely an embossed signature but not a decal. I wonder who I would contact to find out if it were a Rich cue? I'm just trying to place a value on it from a collector standpoint. It's hard to do without knowing it's origins. I appreciate all of your help.

tig

Registered
DSC_0172.jpg

Old Huebler's have a nylon insert in the shaft that the joint pin screws into. This one appears to be brass.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still looks Asian to me, and not Adam. The very sharp angle on the end of the brass pilot (looks "unfinished") was very common on the imports.

tig

Registered
I have to admit Jim that the joint pin looks just like the ones Huebler uses. It doesn't have the nylon insert in the shaft but who knows...Maybe I'll contact the company and see if they ever made a Lou Butera. I think Paul Huebler has a website.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to admit Jim that the joint pin looks just like the ones Huebler uses. It doesn't have the nylon insert in the shaft but who knows...Maybe I'll contact the company and see if they ever made a Lou Butera. I think Paul Huebler has a website.

Paul Huebler is retired and the company is closed.

Edit: The joint looks nothing like the standard Huebler anyway IMHO, even when not considering the lack of the nylon insert. This cue has a piloted joint, Huebler used a flat face joint.

Last edited:

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Tig,

I have the exact same cue and have a post in the same forum as you. I love my cue.. it's the only one I have ever bought. I recently had the shaft converted to a low deflection one.

No answers to my post. Here's the info I have. I don't think Lou would go with anything but american. If you find out anything please advise!! I will do the same. I'm at brentla@earthlink.net

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
I’ve looked all over the Internet and can’t seem to find any info on my cue. I originally purchased it from a AAA billiards store in Beverly hills, CA. It is not a “Hall of Fame’ cue and predates them. It may have been Butera’s first foray into cue making.

REcent contact with AAAand speaking to the father of the owner who is the one that likely sold it to me, he was unable to recall the manufacturer.

I purchased it most likely in the late 80's or early nineties. I was looking for a good entry cue and it was a new line that was named "Lou Butera." The salesman told me Lou had just started making these cues and he could give me a great price on them. It came with 2 pro-taper shafts, brass fittings, and I loved the design which was pretty simple. Bought it for $150.... didn't know a lot about cues, or even tried any, but seemed like a great deal in comparison to others.

It is light carmel-colored Birdseye; white linen on the butt, with slight black speckling. The base of the cue has Lou's signature imprinted on it. It is basic, except there are a couple of approx. 3/8 inch black plastic rings with hairline oyster/pearlized lines on either side of the linen wrap.

I have been most pleased with it, but can't find it in any blue book or online anywhere. At one point I think I saw a pretty good if not exact design copy by Adams, but that one was not signed/embossed with Lou Butera on the base. A certified master cue builder, Ned Morris, who builds cues as well as restores them, did some work on it last week (making the shaft low deflection, improved ferrule and new tip), and tried to identify the manufacturer. He advised me that it was a typical merry widow design, did not think it was an Adams, but using the blue book and his experience he was unable to help ID it. He did tell and show me that the original ferrule was screwed into the cue with as it was attached to a metal screw…..and that Viking used to do that.

It is 5/16 x18 w brass fittings. It's piloted joint.

After reading about Lou, I’m sure that he would not put his name on just anything that was not done top notch, and probably would have had an American manufacturer in my thinking.

Another person thought it may be a Huebler, but contacting them was not possible and the distributor could not help me.

I tried to get an answer from Sal Butera on Facebook but was not successful.

Anyone know anything about this particular cue I have? Were many of them made?

Pictures are attached.

Thank you,

Brentinps

poolcrazy

Huebler Collector
Silver Member
Not a Huebler cue

Paul did build him a personal cue and I have pics of that cue and I also know the owner of the cue, Paul didn't use a pilot on his shafts and nor did he use brass inserts

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2,665
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 2,615
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,415
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2,385
Last edited:

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is one to add

Not trying to hijack the thread, I posed the same question a while ago - no luck.

I have done my fair share of looking and can find nothing like mine either. Hopefully there is a Lou Butera expert out there.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Lou Butera Cue 008.jpg
    Lou Butera Cue 008.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,573
  • Lou Butera Cue 004.jpg
    Lou Butera Cue 004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,437
  • Lou Butera Cue 007.jpg
    Lou Butera Cue 007.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,393

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou Butera Rich Cue

I don't know if this was Lou's cue or an endorsement deal with Saul Rich.

Attachments

• Buterabutt.jpg
    Buterabutt.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 666
  • Buterabutt2.jpg
    Buterabutt2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 771
  • Buterapic.jpg
    Buterapic.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 637
  • Buterapoints.jpg
    Buterapoints.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 665

CLOTHDUDE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the op.......this cue was made by viking exclusively for northcoast amusement in cleveland ohio and aaa in california.........they were endorsed by lou.......i was the sales manager at northcoast amusement during this manufacturing period........

I don't know if this was Lou's cue or an endorsement deal with Saul Rich.

I think that cue is an Adam (that was made made in Japan, by Helmstetter's cue company), which looks much higher quality then the cue that the OP posted pictures of.

The last poster that replied said that he knew for a fact that the OP's cue was made by Viking. Any opinions about this?

Thanks.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see I posted a long time ago and did not want to have duplicative post and speculations. However, I will add that since I have the same cue as Tig, and it looks just like the day I bought in in about 85, there is a noticeable difference that no one no one has addressed that my be telling. Why does this merry widow, Lou Butera embossed sig Butt cap stay white as snow, when Adams cues, Huebler, cues, Rich Q's from that period yellow with age, or in the post of the rich q pic even crack or peel?

Brass pin, White butt cap, and relatively high quality construction i.e without any rings raising after over 40 yrs, and absolutely no warping or age sign should help us to narrow down the manufacturer to one. Most cues from that time period have yellowing, and in the case of the posted rich q pic, darkening of the maple.

Last edited: