Tips

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought a lathe a while back and learning at a comfortable rate, installation of tips, ferrules, and minor shaft repair. Recently I’ve experienced a tip separating when I was almost finished burnishing the side. A friend asked me how hot I made the tip and that probably was the cause. He went on to explain each layer of leather has been treated and adheres to the next so you know what happens when you heat up some glues, they become pliable. So my question is about the types of adhesives used between the layers of leather. As each layer becomes exposed it would obviously become a factor on the impact, if only slight. Is there a connection to what players experience with glazing? There are many players I talk with that have immediate success with particular tips and after short time they seem to harden and need excessive attention.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi. Go onto Ask The CueMaker. I doubt the glue is separating. It is possible the tips are tearing/separating when trimming. Some of them tear apart if using a razor or certain lathe cutting bits.

What tips are you using. As for learning I started out with old warped cues.
I bought cheap dowels from Home Depot.
Post some pictures. Have fun with this. You will learn by experience. You'll figure it out.

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. Go onto Ask The CueMaker. I doubt the glue is separating. It is possible the tips are tearing/separating when trimming. Some of them tear apart if using a razor or certain lathe cutting bits.

What tips are you using. As for learning I started out with old warped cues.
I bought cheap dowels from Home Depot.
Post some pictures. Have fun with this. You will learn by experience. You'll figure it out.

The separation has happened twice out of about 40 layered tips. One was a Talisman and one a Moori. Afterward I took extra precautions to control the heat build up as I burnished. I’ll post a pic when I get to the shop tonight but my experience with a variety of adhesives lead me to wonder about the types used to hold layers together and if that had anything to do with how tips change over time.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of things::

If you get the cyanoacrylate too hot it will spontaneously let go.
Because of this, I burnish by hand.

I have noticed that the glue film between layers in the tip does not hold chalk well and if you strike it dead on, the tip will often slip.

While I have had a couple of delamination events with layered tips, I consider it just part of the price paid to use them.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
A lot of people, even some smart ones here, think a lathe is the only way to go with tips. With delamination of a tip, I've only heard of that happening when working a lathe. I have never in 63 years, heard that with a self, manual tip install. Those high spinning lathes do generate some heat.

Not a sermon, just personal experience.

All the best,
WW

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of people, even some smart ones here, think a lathe is the only way to go with tips. With delamination of a tip, I've only heard of that happening when working a lathe. I have never in 63 years, heard that with a self, manual tip install. Those high spinning lathes do generate some heat.

Not a sermon, just personal experience.

All the best,
WW

To reduce the diameter I now gently use a razor and finish with sandpaper strips. The tip radius is done with a razor. However using a lathe or manual install....touch is everything. Develop a touch...apply gentle light pressure. Burnish with light pressure...do not hold on tip or ferrule for an extended period. Heat is your enemy. Get the ferrule warm enough it'll distort and possibly peel off of the tenon.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
To deduce the diameter I now gently use a razor and finish with sandpaper strips. The tip radius is done with a razor. However using a lathe or manual install....touch is everything. Develop a touch...apply gentle light pressure. Burnish with light pressure...do not hold on tip or ferrule for an extended period. Heat is your enemy. Get the ferrule warm enough it'll distort and possible peel off of the tenon.

Couldn't agree with you more. Whether the method you use is lathe or manual, the touch you have is the important part.

All the best,
WW