Mezz wx700 turndown

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any issues with turning down the Mezz WX700 from the 12.5 to 12.25 or even down to 12mm? Wasn't sure if there would be issues with the NX ferrule?

Having some new tips put on my shafts tomorrow and mentioned I would also like to do this and my guy hasn't messed with the Mezz shafts yet so he's not sure mainly how the ferrule will handle it.

I appreciate it,

Hunter121

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any thoughts in general about turning down other Mezz shafts with the NX ferrule appreciated as well. I've been searching but haven't been able to find anything. Also got a message out to Mezz.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`m not really sure what your problem is. Put on a sacrificial piece of phenolic, drill a pilot hole and away you go. I usually turn down the ferrule to the new desired diameter on the lathe first.

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`m not really sure what your problem is. Put on a sacrificial piece of phenolic, drill a pilot hole and away you go. I usually turn down the ferrule to the new desired diameter on the lathe first.

Well more of a question of can the ferrule be tuned down with out issue or is it thin as is and would compromise the integrity of it.

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to take it down to 12.25 maybe a touch lower.

I appreciate your response by the way.

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12.25mm will work fine, try not to go thinner.

Ok, thank you for taking the time to respond. If I decided to go lower like down to 12mm at a later time could I just switch the ferrule or buy one for the wx900?

My guy eneded up sicker then a dog so probably later this week I'll have this turned down with my new tips installed.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not recommend turning down the WX700 ferrule any more than it already is. The wall thickness when new is very thin. I've personally cracked two of these ferrules, and if you do a search on cracked Mezz ferrules, you'll find quite a few of them. The newest NX material is not as brittle, but it will still crack if you play with a thin tip. ALWAYS make sure there's a pad under the tip to help evenly distribute the load across the face.

Edit : didn't realize I commented on a 2 year old thread :rolleyes: