stacked wrap

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I am cleaning a cue for someone and they asked if I could fix the rub marks on the stacked wrap. I have never played with a stacked wrap and this seems to have a shiny coat of sealer on it. I only need to fix the area where it has come off down to the leather. Any help appreciated.
DAve
20180315_151958.jpg

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a simular problem

Not quite the same, but a buddy had a playing with playing cue stacked leather wrap with some bad spots. Told me to experiment with it, i solved his problem.
Spun it fast light pass with 400 grit, then 1500 grit, then ample amount of hightower shaft sealer. Dry it while spinning on lathe.

His problems were solved.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only way to fix this properly is to sand the whole wrap down to unsealed leather. Otherwise, any patchwork fixes will not match the rest of the wrap. Dyeing leather on the tanned side is one thing, but to dye cut leather on it's side or bottom is very tricky and impossible to get a uniform color. That's why stacked leather wraps have the variances in the coloring of the wraps. The reason is, leather that is to be dyed, say for shoes, handbags, cue cases, etc. is oak tanned and ready for any finish, be it a dye or otherwise. When dye is applied to the cut surfaces, it seeps in at all different amounts, thus the difference, or marbling in the color.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only way to fix this properly is to sand the whole wrap down to unsealed leather. Otherwise, any patchwork fixes will not match the rest of the wrap. Dyeing leather on the tanned side is one thing, but to dye cut leather on it's side or bottom is very tricky and impossible to get a uniform color. That's why stacked leather wraps have the variances in the coloring of the wraps. The reason is, leather that is to be dyed, say for shoes, handbags, cue cases, etc. is oak tanned and ready for any finish, be it a dye or otherwise. When dye is applied to the cut surfaces, it seeps in at all different amounts, thus the difference, or marbling in the color.

Look at the picture closer. He’s not dyeing the wrap, he’s wanting to fix that scuff.

And do we know who installed the wrap to start? Ask them what type of sealer was used. Might be able to spot fix it without needing to rescuff the whole thing.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the picture closer. He’s not dyeing the wrap, he’s wanting to fix that scuff.

And do we know who installed the wrap to start? Ask them what type of sealer was used. Might be able to spot fix it without needing to rescuff the whole thing.

I've done one like this before with pretty much the same problem. Sanded it back down pretty much as Desi stated and then re-sealed and burnished the hell out of it. I admire anyone who installs stacked leather. I've done 4 and I hated each and every one of them.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. It was done by Tiger originally. I don't have the supplies from them, and have no experience doing these so I recommended to the customer today to take it to the Tiger booth at the SBE next month while he is there.At some point I will play with installing this type of wrap.
Thanks again
Dave

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
With a small job like this, maybe Renessaince Wax can be your best friend. It seals and can be buffed.. Love that stuff:)