Best Glue?

Flazell

My son gambling at V.F.
Fellow Members,

I want to start trying to handle installing my own tips on my cue and my son's cue moving forward. What would you guys consider to be the best glue to use? From everything I've read thus far, it seems to be a "super" glue, but the gel variety? Is this true?

Also, any tips you could give me for installing tips would be great. :)

I'm currently putting a shopping list together for some tips, a Tina knife, pads (for under the tip) and a couple other things.

Look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fellow Members,

I want to start trying to handle installing my own tips on my cue and my son's cue moving forward. What would you guys consider to be the best glue to use? From everything I've read thus far, it seems to be a "super" glue, but the gel variety? Is this true?

I'm currently putting a shopping list together for some tips, a Tina knife, pads (for under the tip) and a couple other things.

I do not like any of the hardware store super glues much. I get my gel CA at the local hobby store. You get a lot more for your money, and it lasts a bit longer too.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wrote a little about the way I install tips a while back when another member was having issues with tips he had installed, here is a link; http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5838575&postcount=8

Loctite 401 is my personal favourite glue for tips, it sets very fast so you need to lay the tip concentric to the ferrule right away but it is very strong and works for break tips too. If you dont have acces to 401 other members here have used and recommended Loctite professional gel for tip installs.
I also recommend buying a good tip shaper like a Last4ever tip tool to make the radius for the tip. Using a tool like that ensures that the tips come out the same shape :eek: I have the combo versio myself with both Nickel and dime radius shapers.
Feel free to PM me if I left something out and I'll get back to you :)
- Kimmo

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually it's important to use gel type that you are able to move the tip a bit and have a little more elastic that just hard glue bonding.

The rest is just as with usual super glues, they're almost instantly usable. I wait for about 1-2hours still.

I prefer the gel type that sets after 30 seconds or so, not too quickly. I sometimes have to install 9mm tips on 9mm shafts, so I need to be very careful here.

ATM I'm using BISON Super Glue Gel and am almost happy. It sets a bit too quickly, and it's not expensive, readily available. Other than that extremely good glueing on my ash shaft and Snooker brass ferrule.
I do a few small grooves with the fine blade into the wood and the tip to increase glueing area.

Check this overview:
http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/cyanoacrylate-instant-adhesive-14975.htm

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fellow Members,

Medium viscosity works best for me. The thinner the viscosity the faster it sets. Gel takes too long for tips imo. Thin is almost instant. medium gives you a few seconds to reposition the tip if you miss. Gel can be used for ferrules but epoxy is better. Store your superglue in a refrigerator. It slows the chemical process of aging.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not like any of the hardware store super glues much. I get my gel CA at the local hobby store. You get a lot more for your money, and it lasts a bit longer too.

Hardware store super glues are made for home use and are "watered down". Find an industrial one.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wrote a little about the way I install tips a while back when another member was having issues with tips he had installed, here is a link; http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5838575&postcount=8

Loctite 401 is my personal favourite glue for tips, it sets very fast so you need to lay the tip concentric to the ferrule right away but it is very strong and works for break tips too. If you dont have acces to 401 other members here have used and recommended Loctite professional gel for tip installs.
I also recommend buying a good tip shaper like a Last4ever tip tool to make the radius for the tip. Using a tool like that ensures that the tips come out the same shape :eek: I have the combo versio myself with both Nickel and dime radius shapers.
Feel free to PM me if I left something out and I'll get back to you :)
- Kimmo

I too find 401 to be the best I have used. I've installed many tips with it, but recently a couple of White Diamonds. They are known to be difficult tips to install, but no problem with 401.
It's not cheap and it's not at Home Depot or Ace Hardware, but it's good. A friend/fellow player asked me once what glue I used and after I told him, he said "That's good stuff! We used it in aircraft manufacturing."
That's a pretty good recommendation!
My 2 cents,
Gary

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
401 is a liquid.
It could soak into a tip too much and stiffen it.

454 is a gel.
The manufacturer says "non-migrating".

The Pro Gel sounds good with it's impact resistant rubber additive.

Great info everyone!

I too find 401 to be the best I have used. I've installed many tips with it, but recently a couple of White Diamonds. They are known to be difficult tips to install, but no problem with 401.
It's not cheap and it's not at Home Depot or Ace Hardware, but it's good. A friend/fellow player asked me once what glue I used and after I told him, he said "That's good stuff! We used it in aircraft manufacturing."
That's a pretty good recommendation!
My 2 cents,
Gary

locktite 454 has been my homie for 20 years

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
401 is a liquid.
It could soak into a tip too much and stiffen it.

454 is a gel.
The manufacturer says "non-migrating".

The Pro Gel sounds good with it's impact resistant rubber additive.

Great info everyone!

You really gonna come here and try to say something like that to a cue maker?

Where multiple cue makers say they useit
Steve Lomax even?!!

What experience do you have to make such a statement
None I bet,
Where does your bullshit end

Last edited: