Are Paul Sumrall cues in high demand?

You should have your balls removed with a dull spoon. Pay it forward means just that. It’s called integrity. In my opinion you owe the seller of such cue and the buyer an apology.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I did apologize to the seller (years ago), when he sent me a PM, to ask me about the cue, and explained my reason for selling it. If he had an issue with me, then he would have replied back to let me know any bad feelings he had, or he would have made his feelings public years ago.

The truth is that I got desperate for money, and sold the cue, and yes, I wrote a long apology to him in a reply. That is worthless though, right? Meaningless, right?

This was like 5 years ago, and people still remember it like it was just yesterday.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Justin, i can only assume its a cue someone offered you on Facebook for the $300 you said you had. You have to eventually figure out for 300 you arent going to sell a cue for 500 the week after you decide you dont like it.

I did apologize to the seller (years ago), when he sent me a PM, to ask me about the cue, and explained my reason for selling it. If he had an issue with me, then he would have replied back to let me know any bad feelings he had, or he would have made his feelings public years ago.

The truth is that I got desperate for money, and sold the cue, and yes, I wrote a long apology to him in a reply. That is worthless though, right? Meaningless, right?

This was like 5 years ago, and people still remember it like it was just yesterday.

Ok humble enough. I am certainly not going to judge your finical situation. I think under those conditions you should have contacted the original buyer before listing it and let him know what the situation was. If he passed then that would have been on him. Since stipulated to pay it forward then I am sure he felt he was doing you a favor and being a nice guy trying to help you out. You used his generosity to generate a profit. No matter what your situation you did the wrong thing under the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Justin, i can only assume its a cue someone offered you on Facebook for the $300 you said you had. You have to eventually figure out for 300 you arent going to sell a cue for 500 the week after you decide you dont like it.

I understand that, but it would be nice if I could know that I could easily be able to get that $300 back out of the cue (without losing any money), if I ever needed to resell it (even if I really loved it, and wanted to hold on to it forever). With customs (that may not be widely well known), that is not the case.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
should have bought the wes hunter with the burl handle that just sold on ebay for like $550.

free $200 on the flip, and if you don't like it, you know it's not the cue.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MY experience in buying and selling some cues over the past 20 years is that for the average person with average cue knowledge on markets etc. - there are no guarantees on resale value of a cue. Asking prices are all over the place for two identical used cues on many sites. I have doubled my money on cue resales and lost money on cue resales with no real rhyme or reason - it depends on current financial conditions, current collector interest, recent posts (good or bad ) on a cuemaker, and sometimes the guy who may come out of nowhere and pay top dollar because he has to have a particular cue for one reason or another. If this is purely a playing cue- you must try it before buying it and be resolved that it is NOT an investment, it is a playing instrument. Once in a while a highly knowledegable cue person may find a deal that he knows is a real money maker, usually because the seller does not know the market at all or the seller is in need of $$$ fast. Just my experience.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope this is not a bad question to ask.

Are his cues in the same league as Diveney for example?

I am looking a a really nice Sumrall cue, but I can't find any values of his cues on the 2nd hand market .

I understand that I will not know if I will like a cue until I have tried one out.

I just do not want to get stuck with a cue if for some reason I do not like it, and then have to take a loss in order to resell it.

You may send me a pm if you want to.

I just do not know how his cues compare (when it comes to demand on the 2nd hand market) to other cues out there .

When it comes to needing to resell a cue on the 2nd hand market, would I be much better off with a high in demand cue like a Schon for example ?

Thanks for any honest opinions about this, and you may pm me if you think your reply should not be public.

I don't follow every post you make but it seems you are frequently asking about cues as if you are in pursuit of a cue to play with. It also seems this has been occurring over a significant period of time.

What exactly is your situation? Are you flipping cues or constantly buying playing cues which you then sell because you don't like them for whatever reason?

I'm not giving you a hard time just trying to comprehend.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, thanks. I wish I would have thought of that. I never knew that this forum had a search function. Stupid me.

Justin I can't believe u started another thread about a cue, I mean really.

Are.u really this bored and just don't have shit to do?
I know u start these threads just so u can interact with people, everyone
On here knows u know how to use the dam search button.

Or maybe u just so lonely that you'll take any interaction with people
even if it's negative feedback that u know ur going to receive.

It's getting old , tis game u like playing.
You been buying and selling cues since the mid 90's.

Some of us who been here for years know exactly what
ur doing.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I hope this is not a bad question to ask.

Are his cues in the same league as Diveney for example?

I am looking a a really nice Sumrall cue, but I can't find any values of his cues on the 2nd hand market .

I understand that I will not know if I will like a cue until I have tried one out.

I just do not want to get stuck with a cue if for some reason I do not like it, and then have to take a loss in order to resell it.

You may send me a pm if you want to.

I just do not know how his cues compare (when it comes to demand on the 2nd hand market) to other cues out there .

When it comes to needing to resell a cue on the 2nd hand market, would I be much better off with a high in demand cue like a Schon for example ?

Thanks for any honest opinions about this, and you may pm me if you think your reply should not be public.

The best advice I can give you is do not buy a cue that you have not tried out first. Save your money and when you find the cue that you really like buy it and keep it. No matter what you do if you keep buying cues with the hope of selling them again if you are not happy with them you are running a very real risk of losing money on every transaction. Unless you are buying high end cues at the right price everything else is pretty much a crap shoot. If you are looking at cues in the $300.00 price range most guys probably look at this as pocket change, it should be pretty easy to unload it for around the same price but you could easily take a $50.00 hit or you could even make a quick $100.00, it really depends on whether or not you are willing to gamble on it. You can get as many value estimates as you want, you find out exactly what its worth the second money changes hands, everything up to that point is a guess.

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MY experience in buying and selling some cues over the past 20 years is that for the average person with average cue knowledge on markets etc. - there are no guarantees on resale value of a cue. Asking prices are all over the place for two identical used cues on many sites. I have doubled my money on cue resales and lost money on cue resales with no real rhyme or reason - it depends on current financial conditions, current collector interest, recent posts (good or bad ) on a cuemaker, and sometimes the guy who may come out of nowhere and pay top dollar because he has to have a particular cue for one reason or another. If this is purely a playing cue- you must try it before buying it and be resolved that it is NOT an investment, it is a playing instrument. Once in a while a highly knowledegable cue person may find a deal that he knows is a real money maker, usually because the seller does not know the market at all or the seller is in need of $$$ fast. Just my experience.

Perfect explanation.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

ur doing.
You can't believe what ? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijwGoDlH9w4

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I've had a Summerall cue, 4 prong ebony/curly maple, for 10+ years now. I had Paul make me two more shafts for it about 6 months after I bought it.

It's my daily player and not for sale.

It plays better than I do! LOL

Stones

ur doing.

I swear, next time I find a cue that a really love, I will hold onto it forever. It is just way too difficult to find a cue that you really love. There have been very few cues that I was really crazy about (that I had) over the last twenty something years. I understand now that the price of a cue means nothing. A player could quite possibly fall in love with a cue that only retails for $50. I once purchased the most amazing looking Espiritu cue that I have ever seen (I wish I still had pictures of that cue, just to show how nice it was), and I did not care for it at all. It hit okay, but it did not hit nearly as good as it looked, in my opinion. So, looks mean nothing when it comes to the way a cue feels, and plays. It is just so rare to find the perfect cue, that you love (so much, that you just want to play all day, and all night with it). That is just me though. Many players will say that they can play just as good with just about anything out there, and I understand that is true. I guess that if a cue is decent quality, solid, and gives decent feedback, then a player can learn to get used to anything, and play great with it. Have you ever picked up a cue that you never held before, and just felt like a completely new player (with more confidence then you ever had before with any other cue)? Does that sound like nothing but a fantasy? I have felt that way about a few cues that I had in the past, but it has been really rare, and I so regret ever letting go of the ones that I really loved that much. This Sumrall cue that I was offered really looks amazing (Ebony sneaky style cue, into some amazing looking BEM, with an Ivory joint). As good as it looks, I still do not know that I am going to love it. So, that is why I asked about the demand of his cues. It is basically just a really super nice looking sneaky (with an Ivory joint), after all, so I honestly do not know what they are worth. The seller told me it was $800 new. I do not know though.

By the way, you and all others may believe what ever you want, but I have never purchased a cue with the intention of flipping it. Laptops(?), yes, cues(?), no.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I swear, next time I find a cue that a really love, I will hold onto it forever. It is just way too difficult to find a cue that you really love. There have been very few cues that I was really crazy about (that I had) over the last twenty something years. I understand now that the price of a cue means nothing. A player could quite possibly fall in love with a cue that only retails for $50. I once purchased the most amazing looking Espiritu cue that I have ever seen (I wish I still had pictures of that cue, just to show how nice it was), and I did not care for it at all. It hit okay, but it did not hit nearly as good as it looked, in my opinion. So, looks mean nothing when it comes to the way a cue feels, and plays. It is just so rare to find the perfect cue, that you love (so much, that you just want to play all day, and all night with it). That is just me though. Many players will say that they can play just as good with just about anything out there, and I understand that is true. I guess that if a cue is decent quality, solid, and gives decent feedback, then a player can learn to get used to anything, and play great with it. Have you ever picked up a cue that you never held before, and just felt like a completely new player (with more confidence then you ever had before with any other cue)? Does that sound like nothing but a fantasy? I have felt that way about a few cues that I had in the past, but it has been really rare, and I so regret ever letting go of the ones that I really loved that much. This Sumrall cue that I was offered really looks amazing (Ebony sneaky style cue, into some amazing looking BEM, with an Ivory joint). As good as it looks, I still do not know that I am going to love it. So, that is why I asked about the demand of his cues. It is basically just a really super nice looking sneaky (with an Ivory joint), after all, so I honestly do not know what they are worth. The seller told me it was $800 new. I do not know though.

By the way, you and all others may believe what ever you want, but I have never purchased a cue with the intention of flipping it. Laptops(?), yes, cues(?), no.

Your post reminds me.browsing for cues years ago.....probably bout 12-15 years or so .

This is gonna be one of those....wish I knew then what I know now posts lol
I had been a bar banger all.my life and had been joined a bcapl league. I had always played off the wall but every one in league had a cue so i figured...why not me ?

So I am browsing the store taking cues out of the racks and checking them out. Cues ranging from 100.0\ to 4,000.00 or so. Now remember I am a complete mewb and had never heard of some of the brands I was looking at..

I picked up a cue and it just seemed like it was perfect. I really can't describe what it felt like . I ran my up and down the shaft and fellas I am telling you it was the smoothest shaft I have ever felt. Again the cue just seemed perfect....nothing on the store felt as good as that cue and I must have picked up 30 or so cues. I have probably handled a couple of hundred cues since then and none have ever felt as good in my hands as that cue did.

Although I had the money to buy it I just couldn't see paying 3,000.00 for a cue fo shoot league with so I settled on a 500.00 Viking which has always been my favorite cue although I have purchased around 20 since then. A shame it got broken by some one....not me lol.

Oh yea ...the name of the cue I passed up. Szamboti. However its just as we I did not buy it because I would have probably sold it when my business went under.

There is a magic cue out there some where with your name on it Justin but it aint gonna be a 200.00.cue like you been looking for.

Your post reminds me.browsing for cues years ago.....probably bout 12-15 years or so .

This is gonna be one of those....wish I knew then what I know now posts lol
I had been a bar banger all.my life and had been joined a bcapl league. I had always played off the wall but every one in league had a cue so i figured...why not me ?

So I am browsing the store taking cues out of the racks and checking them out. Cues ranging from 100.0\ to 4,000.00 or so. Now remember I am a complete mewb and had never heard of some of the brands I was looking at..

I picked up a cue and it just seemed like it was perfect. I really can't describe what it felt like . I ran my up and down the shaft and fellas I am telling you it was the smoothest shaft I have ever felt. Again the cue just seemed perfect....nothing on the store felt as good as that cue and I must have picked up 30 or so cues. I have probably handled a couple of hundred cues since then and none have ever felt as good in my hands as that cue did.

Although I had the money to buy it I just couldn't see paying 3,000.00 for a cue fo shoot league with so I settled on a 500.00 Viking which has always been my favorite cue although I have purchased around 20 since then. A shame it got broken by some one....not me lol.

Oh yea ...the name of the cue I passed up. Szamboti. However its just as we I did not buy it because I would have probably sold it when my business went under.

There is a magic cue out there some where with your name on it Justin but it aint gonna be a 200.00.cue like you been looking for.

Maybe I need to stop believing that magic is real, and just start practicing with what ever I can afford, until I get 100% confident with that cue. I just do not see it happening though. Maybe I just lost my love for the game. I do not know. When I was a kid back in the 90's, I loved to play. I dreamed about playing. I wanted to play all of the time. I had several cues during my teen years. One that I had was a nice Joss sneaky pete (awesome cue, it was). Another was a Jackson (JCC) cue. Had that cue for years. Played the best pool I ever played with that cue. Those JCC cues seem to be pretty rare. You do not see them around. I have not seen one in person since the one I had, when I was a kid. I know they changed their logo to "Jackson", but the one I had was a JCC. Was a great cue.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Please.
How many times is he going to go gaga on a cue then sell it a week or two later ?