Mild Dud Tip (Pooldawg8)

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in between tournaments and am not playing in any leagues at present, so I've had some time to experiment with tips and equipment. I've been reading here on the boards about the various tips that folks like to play with. I kept coming back to the milk duds that so many of the pros seem to like playing with. The majority of folks here on the boards recommended Pooldawg8's milk duds as the best, so I contacted him via PM and ordered some. It was a very easy and quick transaction. He left me buyer feedback the same day I placed my order.

I received my package of 3 mild dud tips from Pooldawg8 about four days after paying for them. They came sealed up nicely in a little plastic sleeve. I managed to get one of them installed two days after that (today). Here's my take after one extended session of playing with it.

It's even better than I expected, despite the rave reviews others have given them here on the boards. I have never played with milk duds before. I've played with everything from LePro tips to layered tips. Composite tips, boar, pigskin, etc. My current tip I've been using for a little over a year now has been Tiger Snipers. They're pricey though and I'm always open to try new products. I've never played with a milk dud though. I have to say, I'm impressed. I like the feedback I was getting. It seems to play just a tick softer than the Sniper but it seems to hold chalk a bit better. I had good control with the cue ball, and didn't have any miscues over a 2 hour session. I spent some time working long straight in shots. I was also able to put an impressive amount of spin on the cue ball without miscue as well. I had no trouble controlling my draw, nor force follow with it. I really, truly was impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it holds shape over time, as everyone seems to claim they hold shape so well. I will follow up after I've played with it for awhile. If all goes well there, I will probably make the switch to these tips full time. Their playability is fantastic. They are a somewhat hard tip following whatever process he uses (milk type, press time, etc), but they seem to play more like a medium tip. It's an interesting combination and one that I like...a lot.

Pooldawg8, thanks again for the quick turnaround and i'll be in touch soon to stock up on a few more of these.

I give these tips a fantastic thumbs up so far.

Muziq

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great tip and person to deal with...

I really like this tip too and Jeff is very easy to work with when placing orders. All of my orders arrived in a timely manner and were packaged well.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with one for 6 weeks now. It's too hard for my taste and not holding chalk well at all. I'm hoping I got a bad one as I know there are tons of players on here who like them.

Mine is good for about 15 shots and then it starts to glaze over. I chalk up on average every 3 shots or so. After about 50 shots it needs the tip tool to soften up and prevent flattening.

I think the tip has a really good consistency and feel when well-chalked but it is not playable after more than a few shots.

Has anybody else had issues like this?

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
All I can tell you is Jeff makes them kick A$$ Milk Dud tips. I use them on my own player and most local guys like them. I know he is not using MILK California cow.:lol::rotflmao1::lol:

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
I've been playing with one for 6 weeks now. It's too hard for my taste and not holding chalk well at all. I'm hoping I got a bad one as I know there are tons of players on here who like them.

Mine is good for about 15 shots and then it starts to glaze over. I chalk up on average every 3 shots or so. After about 50 shots it needs the tip tool to soften up and prevent flattening.

I think the tip has a really good consistency and feel when well-chalked but it is not playable after more than a few shots.

Has anybody else had issues like this?

You might had a bad one. Never come across this issue with any of Jeff's milkduds before though.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been shooting with one for a couple of weeks now and love it! As far as the glazing problem, that will happen with most tips especially if you favor a firm stroke. Don't over chalk as chalk is a fine abrasive and will make this happen faster. By over chalking I mean grinding the chalk instead of painting it on, you should chalk on every shot. Get yourself a gator grip type tool. I know there are good inexpensive versions out there. You can rough up your tip as much as you'd like without really sacrificing too much tip. I use one every couple of racks on this dawgdud and it continues to play perfectly. I've been breaking with it using a medium hard stroke and this thing won't flatten or misshape at all, and plants the rock perfectly. I like these things so much I'm hoping the competition doesn't find out about them!

Last edited:

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
Jeff's tips are great, been playing with them for years. They are a hard tip. I've never had trouble with them holding chalk. You do need to ***** or scuff every once in a while. I've never had one mushroom. Triangle also a great tip.

wixo3

welp
Silver Member
Right now I'm bouncing between a milkdud and a Ki-tech med, I gotta give the dud the edge just a bit because it holds chalk better. Both play great, Ki-tech plays like a triangle on steroids and the milkdud is like an elkmaster on steroids.

gardener28

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now I'm bouncing between a milkdud and a Ki-tech med, I gotta give the dud the edge just a bit because it holds chalk better. Both play great, Ki-tech plays like a triangle on steroids and the milkdud is like an elkmaster on steroids.

That said, milk dud should be way better consider the price is half or less of a ki-tech?

wixo3

welp
Silver Member
That said, milk dud should be way better consider the price is half or less of a ki-tech?

If we're talking value they're both very high value options considering most tips on the market are around $20, the Ki-tech is half that, and the Milkdud is about a sixth of that.
It just depends what you're looking for in a tip. They both are very low maintenance tips, hold shape well, hold chalk, great feel, and great english.

To me the milkdud has a more firm solid hit, kind of like a medium-hard, yet it is able to put extreme english on the ball like any soft. It also doesn't glaze over, and it holds chalk and shape extremely well. I've been using it for 2 months now, shooting about 1-3 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Now for the Ki-tech (med), it came out the gates really soft and a tad mushy for me, but after the break in period it went away and now has a true feel of a medium. This tip also plays phenomenal, great english and feel. I've had to scuff it up a few times to get it to hold chalk, but that's about it. Holds it's shape well and has been consistent in the few months i've played with it.

Depends what feel you're after, neither tip will disappoint, and at their price points, it is just something you've got to try for yourself. I can't say enough good things about both these tips!

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Got my first batch a few months ago, waited till last week to swap out an older tip for
one of these milkduds. WOW ... what a difference these make :thumbup:.

Pooldawg8, has the formula for some extremely fine hitting tips. Granted, I don't get
as much table time as I'd like to get, or as much as most of the folks on the forum do.
I can state that the ability to steer a cue ball is much better when using one of these
then without one.

Thanks for puttin' up with me,

The Basics (aka hank)

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Bought some a few years ago and liked them. I've been out of the game for maybe three years now. I have decided to come out of retirement and am now wondering if these tips will play as well now, after sitting for a long time in the package, as the ones I installed when I first received them. Anyone have these lying around for a long time before installing and have an opinion?
Thanks
James

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought some a few years ago and liked them. I've been out of the game for maybe three years now. I have decided to come out of retirement and am now wondering if these tips will play as well now, after sitting for a long time in the package, as the ones I installed when I first received them. Anyone have these lying around for a long time before installing and have an opinion?
Thanks
James
There's one good way to find out! Welcome back!

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Thank you.
The dud that's still on the cue seems to play just fine so I'm guessing the uninstalled tips will play fine.