Common reasons for missing to the right

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a right-handed player who typically overcuts shots to the left and undercuts shots to the right.

Based on experimentation I'm pretty sure I'm doing something mechanically wrong to push the cue to the right through and after contact.

Are there any go-to tips for preventing this or common mechanical faults that tend to cause it? I know this is a generic question but perhaps there are a few simple things I can try to see if it might be the culprit.

Thanks.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a right-handed player who typically overcuts shots to the left and undercuts shots to the right.

Based on experimentation I'm pretty sure I'm doing something mechanically wrong to push the cue to the right through and after contact.

Are there any go-to tips for preventing this or common mechanical faults that tend to cause it? I know this is a generic question but perhaps there are a few simple things I can try to see if it might be the culprit.

Thanks.

Don't rule out your stance which is often the problem that causes the player to twist their cue because their torso is crowding the line of the shot. In those cases, the stance first has to be corrected and then the habit of twisting the cue has to be broken.

Check the position of your grip hand knuckles at address and then again after your follow through. They should remain in the same position throughout the stroke. If they've shifted position, then you twisted your hand during your stroke.

That's why there are teachers in sports. They know how to troubleshoot a player and can help them with their fundamentals. Your best bet is to get with someone who knows what they're doing. Ask around locally or go to the PBIA website, playbetterbilliards.com for a list of instructors in your state.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.

See post #216 this may help with your issue.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=453347&page=15

John :)

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The only thing to add to Frans post, you can also use a small colored sticky dot oriented on your ferrule to check for twisting in your stroke. Place it at 12 o'clock and see at the conclusion of the shot if it is still in the 12 o'clock position.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EJ6P40/ref=asc_df_B002EJ6P405156894/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B002EJ6P40&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167150619344&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8433324784868646309&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006744&hvtargid=pla-306771047025