Should I buy this Balabushka Remake :/

Angel Eyes

Registered
Hey Everyone,

First time poster but long time appreciator of the community.
I have a chance to pick up this sharp looking cue but am on the fence...

I would like to ask the community if they feel this is worth the price.

I am also considering: Schon STL-2
http://www.schoncues.com/product/stl-02/

OB-125 or also a mezz.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Everything you listed, id buy the Nitti, but that's just me. Buy whatever you want...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy what you like...but personally I would not throw that much money at one of those GB cues.

I have many cues. I will buy one of those GB cues when I find one very cheap.

As for the other considerations, the Nitti or Schon...but there are many possibilities.

What are you looking for?

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never hit any with a Mezz CP series, which is a composite butt from the looks. I have the EC7 series and really like the hit. Gonna try and find someone with the CP series to check the hit out on it to see the difference.

Edit: Nevermind, the butt won't make much difference in the hit after thinking about.

Last edited:

Angel Eyes

Registered
Buy what you like...but personally I would not throw that much money at one of those GB cues.

I have many cues. I will buy one of those GB cues when I find one very cheap.

As for the other considerations, the Nitti or Schon...but there are many possibilities.

What are you looking for?

ahh Chopdoc how are ya?! I have appreciated many of your posts and bought a Joss as a gift with your recommendation in mind.

I'm looking for something classic with a white wrap. I love the quality of Chris Nitti but also can appreciate the innovations of OB and Mezz...

I'm a big fan of the Joss lineup as well, especially love this one:
http://jjcue.com/images/JOSS-10-9.jpg

With the classic taste yet appreciation for modern invention and with a white wrap what would you suggest?

Thank you for joining in

Angel Eyes

Registered
I never hit any with a Mezz CP series, which is a composite butt from the looks. I have the EC7 series and really like the hit. Gonna try and find someone with the CP series to check the hit out on it to see the difference.

Thank you Ken for your feedback, I've heard the Mezz hit is amazing and worth the purchase... Do you think its going to perform better than your average custom cue?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ahh Chopdoc how are ya?! I have appreciated many of your posts and bought a Joss as a gift with your recommendation in mind.

I'm looking for something classic with a white wrap. I love the quality of Chris Nitti but also can appreciate the innovations of OB and Mezz...

I'm a big fan of the Joss lineup as well, especially love this one:
http://jjcue.com/images/JOSS-10-9.jpg

With the classic taste yet appreciation for modern invention and with a white wrap what would you suggest?

Thank you for joining in

Cool.

There are just so many options.

The butt will have to do with how the cue feels in your hands and when it hits the ball, but not much to do with the action of the cue ball in response to being struck...that's the tip/ferrule/shaft.

Of course then you have to consider if you want an "engineered" shaft or solid wood etc. Even with Joss there are three different types of shaft plus their break shaft...and then there is aftermarket.

All of the cues you are talking about are good cues.

The Joss you show has some classic looks, but with the rounded points and wide separation of points, it definitely is distinctive as a Joss and has different point dimensions than others. Joss does do sharp pointed cues as well, but still with that wide point separation.

Hard to argue with a Nitti.

If you are looking for your cue...a player...a "keeper"...I would recommend trying as many cues as you can to get an idea of what you want beyond looks.

In your price range a custom is not out of order to consider at all. New or used...there are many.

Go look in the "for sale" section here...see what's floating around. Feel free to PM me.

Also check out the gallery for inspiration.

Angel Eyes

Registered
Cool.

There are just so many options.

The butt will have to do with how the cue feels in your hands and when it hits the ball, but not much to do with the action of the cue ball in response to being struck...that's the tip/ferrule/shaft.

Of course then you have to consider if you want an "engineered" shaft or solid wood etc. Even with Joss there are three different types of shaft plus their break shaft...and then there is aftermarket.

All of the cues you are talking about are good cues.

The Joss you show has some classic looks, but with the rounded points and wide separation of points, it definitely is distinctive as a Joss and has different point dimensions than others. Joss does do sharp pointed cues as well, but still with that wide point separation.

Hard to argue with a Nitti.

If you are looking for your cue...a player...a "keeper"...I would recommend trying as many cues as you can to get an idea of what you want beyond looks.

In your price range a custom is not out of order to consider at all. New or used...there are many.

Go look in the "for sale" section here...see what's floating around. Feel free to PM me.

Also check out the gallery for inspiration.

Thank you Chopdoc for your insight and recommendations. I appreciate them and am thinking with them in mind moving forward.

Right now I am in between this Joss N-7-DAN (http://jjcue.com/images/N-7-DAN-1.jpg) which is a closer hand made version by Dan of Joss himself

or the Chris Nitti here at JJ Cues http://jjcue.com/images/nitti-14-8.jpg

What do you think? :)

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
For me the Butt is a much under-valued piece of the overall performance equation.

Personally I hate cues with a flexible forearm. Dense Birdseye or a cored cue is what I prefer. This makes the shaft the flex point and just feels and performs better. Others wise it’s like a fishing pole that “loads up” under stress. The rest of the equation is weight distribution overall weight and how thick the handle is.

The joint and forearm will play a factor in how the cue feeds back when struck. Not as much as shaft but it does effect the total feel of the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Chopdoc for your insight and recommendations. I appreciate them and am thinking with them in mind moving forward.

Right now I am in between this Joss N-7-DAN (http://jjcue.com/images/N-7-DAN-1.jpg) which is a closer hand made version by Dan of Joss himself

or the Chris Nitti here at JJ Cues http://jjcue.com/images/nitti-14-8.jpg

What do you think? :)

I really dig both cues.

That Joss is of course the most famous cue design there is, by far, bar none.

The Nitti is classy, and I do dig the rings, reminiscent of some of the old Joss block letter rings. And it has rings at all locations. But no veneers...I dig veneers. But the cue is beautiful.

Notice the spacing between the points compared to the Joss. I am not as big a Joss fan as people think, but I am a fan. One thing I am not crazy about is the huge space between the points. But that is how Janes went and that's how it will be.

That Joss is a signed cue, bonus as far as I am concerned.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a Joss COM style cue...and eventually I will...but I won't be going around playing with one. Kind of like having a black Trans Am with a gold screaming chicken on the hood...I ain't the Bandit...and I ain't Vincent. I love the final scene of the movie where Newman says "I'm back" as he breaks with that cue. But I would have flashbacks of Vincent whooping like an idiot twirling that cue like a spastic ninja. I don't want to be that guy. LOL!

Angel Eyes

Registered
I really dig both cues.

That Joss is of course the most famous cue design there is, by far, bar none.

The Nitti is classy, and I do dig the rings, reminiscent of some of the old Joss block letter rings. And it has rings at all locations. But no veneers...I dig veneers. But the cue is beautiful.

Notice the spacing between the points compared to the Joss. I am not as big a Joss fan as people think, but I am a fan. One thing I am not crazy about is the huge space between the points. But that is how Janes went and that's how it will be.

That Joss is a signed cue, bonus as far as I am concerned.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a Joss COM style cue...and eventually I will...but I won't be going around playing with one. Kind of like having a black Trans Am with a gold screaming chicken on the hood...I ain't the Bandit...and I ain't Vincent. I love the final scene of the movie where Newman says "I'm back" as he breaks with that cue. But I would have flashbacks of Vincent whooping like an idiot twirling that cue like a spastic ninja. I don't want to be that guy. LOL!

hahaha well put Chop! Your last paragraph especially :D

Those are all true points so I do think it's best to not consider a COM cue for daily play.

I'm set on either the Nitti or the Mezz ACEN (https://www.seyberts.com/Mezz-acen-cue)

Good luck at the tables and thanks again for all your guys' input!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I suggest buying Joss, a Nitti, and a Mezz....
...and give them all nick-names....
...you'll know what to call them....

IMG_4758.JPG