Pool Room Business Plan

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Dear Owners,

I need your help. I'm seriously thinking of opening a room, and had a few questions. I have managed a room before, but never been an owner of one. I have owned several other very successful small businesses.

Is there a Square Footage formula of space to # of full size tables?
Is there a formula of Monthly or yearly rent to # of tables.

For kicks & giggles I've looked at a couple of spots in the 4500 to 5500 square foot range with a monthly rent in the circa $15/sq ft.

From your experience, off the top of your head, do those numbers sound like they work?
Thank you in advance for your help. Best, -Steve

Last edited:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Full size tables require about 14x18 feet a piece for a 58" cue. You could put them closer to save yourself some space but if you go by that formula you are looking at 252sqft a table.

If you are honestly paying $15 per sqft then that is $3780 per table in monthly floor cost.

Even if you shave 2 feet off each way then you are looking at 12x16 or 192sqft which is $2880 per table.

Being your monthly rent is going to be above $60k a month with that ridiculous price I think you have a tough sell here. You would need to be running about 20 tables and getting about 3000 games a month out of each if they are dollar tables or rent them at $8 an hour for 14 hours a day.

Current place I was just looking at buying is about 2500sqft and the rent is slightly under $3000 a month. That is cheap, but even my downtown office space isn't being paid at $15 a sqft.

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
Full size tables require about 14x18 feet a piece for a 58" cue. You could put them closer to save yourself some space but if you go by that formula you are looking at 252sqft a table.

If you are honestly paying $15 per sqft then that is $3780 per table in monthly floor cost.

Even if you shave 2 feet off each way then you are looking at 12x16 or 192sqft which is $2880 per table.

Being your monthly rent is going to be above $60k a month with that ridiculous price I think you have a tough sell here. You would need to be running about 20 tables and getting about 3000 games a month out of each if they are dollar tables or rent them at $8 an hour for 14 hours a day.

Current place I was just looking at buying is about 2500sqft and the rent is slightly under $3000 a month. That is cheap, but even my downtown office space isn't being paid at $15 a sqft.

I'm guessing that the $15 was a yearly price, which many places list for commercial/retail. That brings the cost per table space down to $315/month. Fill it up with Diamonds and it'll be looking at about $400. 18 tables, full bar and kitchen. Probably use 4 barboxes for league and closer to the bar area. Cost with utilities and all else will be close to $15k-up, probably more like $20k, with overlapping shifts, cooks, cleaning, food, liquor, general use stock, etc. Bring in at least a grand a day and you'll do alright. Use the excellent tables to draw people in, charging a "good" price to keep them there and spending money.

Or just keep your job and get a table!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
76-81

Adam Brostoski, owner of Paramount Billiards in Long Beach California RIP, tho he didn't sit still in life ever :) great man.

He is the father of Don Brostoski, owner of Golden West Pool Tables, Dons still with us, I've seen his pool tables on Price is Right all the time. Anywho, he told me this. Take all your tables running. Take that amount of revenue x the hours your open. Take that total amount and if you're able to make 20% of that you'll be doing good.

cuebuyer4u

Gamble Cues
Silver Member
id say negotiate to around 9 per sq for the first year.

15 you wont make much and if you dont have a liqour license id say save your money. pool and bar business is really tough especially as a startup.

if you have a lump sum of cash sitting around id look for a small strip mall with 7-10 places available and buy the entire strip and rent out 3-4 to pay for your building to lower your largest expense to zero. most commercial places can be purchased with 20% down.

jgdwvu11

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything over $2500 per month is going to be tough in rent and make money...you better have leagues (7ft tables) and maybe 1 -9ft table, plenty of great food, a good bar with TVs for sport etc...if just a pool hall you won't make it...sorry...I've been doing this for years and just changed my model to a club so it is a full pool hall no bar (BYOB), food (order from local places), and 24/7 play with monthly membership...

I currently have 4500 sqft paying $1500 a month 6-7ft tables, 2-9ft tables, full kitchen, full bar, and gambling machines and it is a struggle to not work your ass off...I make money but too much work if you want to KEEP YOUR money....workers that want to work are hard to come by.

good luck...any questions I can be glad to help...