tell me why

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if i set up a diagonal straight in
and just line it up
get down
do my 2-3 strokes and shoot my make rate and success on stop shot rate is much higher
than if i get down really concentrate if i see a straight line
focus on if my back and forward stroke is straight and then shoot ill miss more often than make
:confused::confused:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On that shot, your conscious thought process is less accurate than your sub conscious process.

Your sub conscious process is the result of previous habits.

Conclusion: Your old habits on that shot work better than what you're consciously doing. The problem I see with a lot of players is that they don't always recognize when they're doing something right. You're probably changing something you shouldn't. ---Rhythm, timing, alignment ---- could be anything.

Keep in mind that this is just during practice. It may be a completely different ball game in an actual game against someone where you only get one try at a shot.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks fran
in games i approach straight ins with alot of confidence since i practice them alot
and in game situations i make them alot....:)
with a perfect stop shot well thats another story but my % of no unintentional left spin or small drift of the cue ball is improving

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
I think Fran probably nailed your core issue but I would also have to ask if you're shooting the stop shot with greater speed than the other approach.

Speed has a way of masking unintentional spin applied to the cue ball which can throw the object ball off course.

If your unsuccessful approach is stroked a slower speed, it may be that you're unintentionally throwing the object ball off track despite having a seemingly straight stroke.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Fran probably nailed your core issue but I would also have to ask if you're shooting the stop shot with greater speed than the other approach.

Speed has a way of masking unintentional spin applied to the cue ball which can throw the object ball off course.

If your unsuccessful approach is stroked a slower speed, it may be that you're unintentionally throwing the object ball off track despite having a seemingly straight stroke.
speeds are the same

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
if i set up a diagonal straight in
and just line it up
get down
do my 2-3 strokes and shoot my make rate and success on stop shot rate is much higher
than if i get down really concentrate if i see a straight line
focus on if my back and forward stroke is straight and then shoot ill miss more often than make
:confused::confused:
All that thinking and self consciousness is good for learning and practice, but it's gotta be grooved and automatic for good play. You gotta be in the moment to be in the zone.

pj
chgo

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you really what to see whats happening with your fundamentals set up the same straight in shot and instead of stopping the QB at the OB have the QB follow the OB into the pocket.

You may want to start with the QB and the OB only a diamond or two apart. Work your way up to three and four diamond apart.

This is a real tester. Be patient.

Have fun.

John

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you really what to see whats happening with your fundamentals set up the same straight in shot and instead of stopping the QB at the OB have the QB follow the OB into the pocket.

You may want to start with the QB and the OB only a diamond or two apart. Work your way up to three and four diamond apart.

This is a real tester. Be patient.

Have fun.

John

whats interesting is i actually do better at that then stop shots

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whats interesting is i actually do better at that then stop shots

Then your probably stroking the QB with an over handed stroke rather than an under handed stroke.It's like pitching a soft ball under handed.

John

Last edited:

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Take this for what it is...my experiences/opinion

I have shot 10's of thousands of these shots. I started back 3-4 years ago when Ingo turned me on to it! Since then I have gone through a lot of changes. My initial results were similar to what you mention. My conclusion was that my actual stroke (mechanics/fundamentals) were poor but my ability to deliver the cue (subconsciously) was good.

Fast forward to today...I found that I had two main killers in my stroke. Excess body motion and gripping and/or twisting the cue on the final delivery. Once I found the problems I was able to start improving my stroke mechanics. My mechanics are better than they have ever been. It is due to isolating my faults using a mindful approach during this drill.

There is more to it though. My play had not really improved even though I knew my stroke was better. I let the mindful approach bleed into my play. So now I spend about 20% of my time using a mindful approach in practice and the rest is done mindlessly pocketing the balls and visually/mentally recording the results.

So my advice is to be mindful and keep missing those straight ins until you can isolate your flaws. An instructor and/or video will help expedite this process. Once isolated then stay mindful during practice full time to build the habit out of the corrections you are wanting to make. Then once you are satisfied you have worked the corrections into your game/habits, split your practice up so that a large majority of your practice time is mindless. But don't abandon the mindful time. It will help keep you sharp.

Best of luck! Hope this helps!

Ken

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Take this for what it is...my experiences/opinion

I have shot 10's of thousands of these shots. I started back 3-4 years ago when Ingo turned me on to it! Since then I have gone through a lot of changes. My initial results were similar to what you mention. My conclusion was that my actual stroke (mechanics/fundamentals) were poor but my ability to deliver the cue (subconsciously) was good.

Fast forward to today...I found that I had two main killers in my stroke. Excess body motion and gripping and/or twisting the cue on the final delivery. Once I found the problems I was able to start improving my stroke mechanics. My mechanics are better than they have ever been. It is due to isolating my faults using a mindful approach during this drill.

There is more to it though. My play had not really improved even though I knew my stroke was better. I let the mindful approach bleed into my play. So now I spend about 20% of my time using a mindful approach in practice and the rest is done mindlessly pocketing the balls and visually/mentally recording the results.

So my advice is to be mindful and keep missing those straight ins until you can isolate your flaws. An instructor and/or video will help expedite this process. Once isolated then stay mindful during practice full time to build the habit out of the corrections you are wanting to make. Then once you are satisfied you have worked the corrections into your game/habits, split your practice up so that a large majority of your practice time is mindless. But don't abandon the mindful time. It will help keep you sharp.

Best of luck! Hope this helps!

Ken

thanks for the advice

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry pj.
This is how I see it in my mind.
To me there is no one way to use a pool cue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John