46 on video

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice shooting......:thumbup:

your first shot after the opening break, why did you hit it so hard?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
nice shooting......:thumbup:

your first shot after the opening break, why did you hit it so hard?

I probably thought I was headed up into the kitchen and wanted it to come back. Would have been wiser to hit it softer.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run. You did a good job of clearing that cluster of balls off the foot rail in the second rack.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Nice run. You did a good job of clearing that cluster of balls off the foot rail in the second rack.

Yeah, 7 balls on the bottom, a few of them locked up. After shooting the 4 ball up table, I was going to shoot the stripe straight down, but that gave me no purchase on that mess, so I took the solid diagonally. When I got there, I realized that the combo was fairly simple and cleared up a lot of problems.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, 7 balls on the bottom, a few of them locked up. After shooting the 4 ball up table, I was going to shoot the stripe straight down, but that gave me no purchase on that mess, so I took the solid diagonally. When I got there, I realized that the combo was fairly simple and cleared up a lot of problems.

You seem to get a good spread on your break shots. Do you use anything in particular to clean the balls?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't tell Dan White, but I use Novus. I think it is the best.

HEY HEY HEY! I saw that! :smile:

In all seriousness, though, I've come to the conclusion that anything that leaves a residue on the ball isn't right. If I can use Novus and the balls slide all over, then why not a little silicone polish to spread them out even more? More than the issue of "unfair" slipperiness (which may or may not be unfair), is the issue of inconsistency. If the 4 ball has traveled a lot more than the 11 ball, it can throw 4" while the 11 ball might only throw 1". With the Aramith they are all going to throw exactly the same (until they get dirty, of course).

I've been using Aramith for awhile now and the balls are clean...not slippery, just clean. They don't open as easily like when bumping open a cluster, but the break shots open up just fine.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Thanks, I might check it out. My method is soap and water but I'm looking for an alternative.

I wouldn't use just soap and water.

Look here for Dan's experiment comparing the difference between Aramith and Novus.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=388405&highlight=Novus

I used Aramith down at Derby because I wanted the pros to have consistent results.

I have a full container of Novus at home. It's easier to apply. And with my cue ball control I wouldn't notice the inconsistent result anyway so I will keep using Novus for now.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clean cloth and clean balls, a medium speed forward rolling ball going straight into a cushion will lose all for ward roll and rebound at a slide before picking opposite direction roll. As the balls get dirtier the slide distance gets shorter and then becomes almost nil.

I have Novus and Aramith. The cleaner might be a problem but I do not think it is unfair to the extent that silicone might be consisdered. I never considered it an advantage or disatvantage to use Novus or Brillianize. Personally I like Aramith quite a bit. I probably use the Aramith half the time Novus half the time. I have Ball star and have new container of BallStar green liquid but have not cracked it open. I mix it up and no matter what I use I much prefer the balls that fir 30 minutes or so when they are clean and the cloth is clean. The rolls and collisions seem to be way more consistent. Some people say they do not like fast cloth, then those people would also not like clean balls. So many pool rooms do not have a polisher available for easy cleaning of the balls and that is a shame as the game is more consistent when everything is clean/fresh. Also great players can manipulate spin between balls in a greater way when the balls are dirty.

I do not think Dennis missed because of clean or dirty balls. I think he slowed down and lost a little of the rhythm by becoming overcareful. Earlier in that run he would have got up there and did his routine and made that ball. You are looking much more effective my friend. Again nice run DMG.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some more questions about using a polish on balls.

I don't have a ball cleaner, I use paper towels. Will paper towels work with these polishing compounds?

Does the polish get on the cloth?

The thing that drives me nuts more than anything is skid. Does the polish cause more or less spin?

Thanks.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I have some more questions about using a polish on balls.

I don't have a ball cleaner, I use paper towels. Will paper towels work with these polishing compounds?

Does the polish get on the cloth?

The thing that drives me nuts more than anything is skid. Does the polish cause more or less spin?

Thanks.

I imagine paper towels will work. I sometimes use a microfiber cloth. For novus or brillianize, I use a spray bottle and spray the balls then use the microfiber cloth on them.

With aramith, I use a microfiber cloth.

There are less skids with cleaner balls. Less throw with cleaner balls.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Had an ok day for me. 17,23,26,32,46. The 46 is my high for the year. Should have done better but I guess I choked a little.
http://youtu.be/JWdbNhqNcHM

Nice Shooting D !!!

i took note to the end of the 1st rack, when you had 3 balls close to the bottom rail.

you played the correct 1st shot, but i would of played for the ball on the right side next and then back to the one on the left so you could now enter the angle of the keyball easier. I am not sure maybe this was your original plan and it went ary when you shot the 1st ball and didnt get where you wanted to.

I find it easier in these scenarios to pitot back and fourth when i have 3 or more balls in an area, but i always like to enter the angle of the keyball whenever possible.

keep it up kid !!

-Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Nice Shooting D !!!

i took note to the end of the 1st rack, when you had 3 balls close to the bottom rail.

you played the correct 1st shot, but i would of played for the ball on the right side next and then back to the one on the left so you could now enter the angle of the keyball easier. I am not sure maybe this was your original plan and it went ary when you shot the 1st ball and didnt get where you wanted to.

I find it easier in these scenarios to pitot back and fourth when i have 3 or more balls in an area, but i always like to enter the angle of the keyball whenever possible.

keep it up kid !!

-Steve

You are exactly right, Steve. I was going to do it that way, but I think I was hitting too hard and did not end up where I needed to.

Marop and I went over the run and he said exactly the same thing.

I guess great 14.1 minds think alike.:grin:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I imagine paper towels will work. I sometimes use a microfiber cloth. For novus or brillianize, I use a spray bottle and spray the balls then use the microfiber cloth on them.

With aramith, I use a microfiber cloth.

There are less skids with cleaner balls. Less throw with cleaner balls.

Thanks for the reply.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
You are exactly right, Steve. I was going to do it that way, but I think I was hitting too hard and did not end up where I needed to.

Marop and I went over the run and he said exactly the same thing.

I guess great 14.1 minds think alike.:grin:

This is the sequence that I was referring to !!! You did a great job of recovering from the err.

And thank you for including me in that group with the Marop-o-monster !!!

image.jpg

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve - I kind of like the ball below the break ball for a key ball. If you can get the cue ball more or less parallel to the foot rail vs the key ball (and a foot or 1.5 feet away), and put a bit of left spin on the shot, it looks like a more forgiving position play than using one of the balls to the left and presumably coming off the left long rail for position on the break ball.

What do you think?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Steve - I kind of like the ball below the break ball for a key ball. If you can get the cue ball more or less parallel to the foot rail vs the key ball (and a foot or 1.5 feet away), and put a bit of left spin on the shot, it looks like a more forgiving position play than using one of the balls to the left and presumably coming off the left long rail for position on the break ball.

What do you think?

Well, Dan. I think you gave Stever long enough to reply.

The ball you mention, the one on the bottom right would be a good key ball to get on the break. Better than the two to the left. However, in this instance, I think the one up by my hand was the correct one. More of a traditional one, near the side pocket and above the break ball. The ball is kind of hard to see in the picture Steve put up because I am bridging right next to it and it is partially blocked by the arrow.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... and I thought Steve was stunned by my brilliance -- sitting at the keyboard with his jaw open unable to type!

I see it now. I first read Steve's comment, something like "the end of the rack with 3 balls at the bottom of the table." And then I saw the picture Steve posted. Between your hand, that white triangle blocking the key ball, and the comment above, I didn't realize that ball was there. I guess had I actually watched that part of the video I'd have known. I guess I'm busted. :embarrassed2:

Thanks for the correction, and yes, you did recover just fine.