Baltimore "buddy" Daniel Dennis passed on.....

bulletjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trying to figure last month what had happened to Buddy and ran across his nephews Facebook page. I learned then that he passed away I believe in September 2016. I missed my time aging and traveling with him. He was just like Jay Helfert said " triple smart ". He was a force to be reckoned with in any game but his knowledge of the game passed most. If you search for an article on google about Gus " the Greek" and buddy, you will see how it all started. Rest in peace Daniel.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He was my friend. A very nice man. Very generous with his compliments and his knowledge. Always a smile on his face and could make you smile along with him. I'm glad for the time we had together.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Sorry for the loss of your pool friend.
I will have his loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.
He will be missed, and remembered for his kindness and fellowship.
RIP.

Will Prout

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP To a great player i was lucky to have seen him play many times back in the day he had one of smoothest strokes i ever saw.

Condolences to his family and friends that knew him well.

Buddy Dennis.JPG

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was trying to figure last month what had happened to Buddy and ran across his nephews Facebook page. I learned then that he passed away I believe in September 2016. I missed my time aging and traveling with him. He was just like Jay Helfert said " triple smart ". He was a force to be reckoned with in any game but his knowledge of the game passed most. If you search for an article on google about Gus " the Greek" and buddy, you will see how it all started. Rest in peace Daniel.

Sad news. I met him in the 70's when he was on the road with his family in Detroit. That had to be tough. He clued me in on what substance was popular to "jar" someone at that time, so I could possibly avoid that situation happening to me or my running buddies.

Last edited:

bulletjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry, is that the cue that Tim Scruggs made for him after the movie came out ?

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Dennis Passed On

I am very sad to hear that Buddy passed away. He taught me how to play one pocket. We would bet 20.00 per game (mid to late 80s). I played him even except he would give me 3 "advises" per game when I wanted them. That is a ton of weight and I learned a lot from him. Buddy was extremely smart and a very kind person. I remember watching Wheel of Fortune with Buddy and his wife at his place and he would ALWAYS give the answer before the contestants would. I ask him how he could do that and he said there were only some many combinations of constants and vowels that could form words. His brain was like a computer. He was a great player and an exceptional person. He is one of the nicest and kind person I have every met. RIP Buddy.

TheCutShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh man, more bad news, I just read about Bob Vanover's Health problems, and now I hear that Buddy has passed away. If you read my post about Bob Vanover you'll see that when I played him I was just getting it together, well Buddy was the one that was helping me, I was taking a few lessons from him when I could afford to do so. Brilliant, crafty pool player. After I had had a few lessons with him he tried to get me to gamble with him and wanted to know what I thought would be a fair spot, I said, well Buddy If I can make a Ball on the Break and one more Ball after that to Win, then I'll play you. I think we actually did play 1 set under those conditions and the outcome for me was shall we say Not Good! I still have the Brochure he gave me when he was trying to line me up as student.

Once during a break in our lessons I asked him if the producers of the Movie "The Baltimore Bullet" consulted with him about events in the movie, he said no they didn't and it was a shame because he could have given them a lot of advice on how to make it better.

Condolences to his Family
RIP "Buddy"

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baltimore Buddy was a soft spoken, well spoken, and intelligent man. He was someone that you could not help but like and at the same time, you could never forget. Buddy's image resides in my bank of good memories of pool players.

One Rock

Registered

He took my $2,000 stake money in 1997 and skipped town not to ever come back to the DC area. As far as I'm concerned, he couldn't have passed soon enough.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
He took my $2,000 stake money in 1997 and skipped town not to ever come back to the DC area. As far as I'm concerned, he couldn't have passed soon enough.

Really...? Why don't you crawl back under that rock.

RIP Buddy

One Rock

Registered
Really...? Why don't you crawl back under that rock.

RIP Buddy

I'm telling you right now, he was an absolute piece of sh*t. If he ever gave you the impression he was 'nice', he was probably playing position on you. He played a well-known player in Maryland back in 1997 and broke even. I let him hold the post because they were going to play again the very next day. What did he do instead? He couldn't have skipped town fast enough with the $2,000.

Yes, he was a great player and had a super smooth stroke. I could say the same thing of a thousand other players. In the end, he was a con man, nothing more.

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew Buddy in the 60's, I was friends with his brother . I played Buddy when he first started to play, a year later I was going to the race track when Buddy came in the poolroom gave me the 8 ball and ran 5 racks on me. He played pro level, and was the best player in Baltimore then. RIP Buddy.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
What the over/ under on letting something like that not bug one?

Letting it bug you is one thing. Coming on here and telling everyone what a piece of shit someone was after they die is a cheap shot. We all have stories.

One Rock

Registered
Letting it bug you is one thing. Coming on here and telling everyone what a piece of shit someone was after they die is a cheap shot. We all have stories.

The cheap shot would be to steal $2,000 and skip town in the middle of the night. He might have been a great player, a nice man, etc., but he was also a piece of sh*t con man. Go ahead and live in your dream world. His passing couldn't have come any sooner. Period. F*** him.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Arms length" is a good policy. With this practice, I can have many more good acquaintances and good experiences with people. I enjoyed and liked Buddy.