Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Draw shot accuracy against OB
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
paultex
AzB Silver Member
paultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond reputepaultex has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-02-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Thanks, @paultex, I will do more video, a few for me first. The idea of straight on is useful as well, I set the second camera up from the back to see where the cue actually hit. I've got a third camera I can try as well. What I don't think I can do is shoot at a high frame rate, I think I'm stuck at 30fps, though one might do 60 if I lower the resolution, need to check; this video stuff is not what I use them for normally.

To your point, to me it looked like one went one side, one the other; basic lack of consistency. But I'll do some more, this was a trial run to see if it even helped.
Yes thanks. You would be surprised how often your eyes lie to you vs reality. Obviously the shot relationship looks straight to you, but the reality is a missed shot and I have the feeling the average miss is to the right of the pocket?...and cue ball goes left after contact?

Try to get the camera angle dead straight and use a string line or whatever you think it takes to get the camera and cueball/object ball as straight as possible to the camera angle. Do not worry about if you yourself are not straight with the shot, I'm sure you know that, but just making sure.

When you do all that, the shot line itself will continue toward you, make note and state where your right foot stands, if on the shot line, fine, if left or right of it, then state how much in approximate inches.

One last thing, also state what that shot relationship looks like to your eyes.I'm sure it appears "straight", but really make a conscience effort to really squeeze out that perception from your eyes to your mind. Is it straight in your eye/brain reality? Don't second guess yourself, if it looks straight, ok then cool. Use a comfortable vision like i assume you usually do.

Thanks.

Old
  (#17)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2017, 01:23 PM

I see this a lot with people who are new to the game.

To the OP: You don't have a sense of the level of difficulty that you are attempting. Drawing a long shot like that is extremely difficult, even for a pro player. You aren't experienced enough to attempt a shot like that.

Set smaller and more realistic goals for yourself. The first thing you should do is to secure that bridge hand. Don't even attempt to do anything else until you can shoot any shot with a secure bridge hand that doesn't move.

Your fundamentals need work, starting with your stance. Your stance is your first step into proper alignment. Pool isn't just played from the waist-up.

Get some outside help, whether it's from an instructor or videos or books.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#18)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member
Linwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Get some outside help, whether it's from an instructor or videos or books.
Last first, thanks; I have one of the best (from what I read) lined up though it will be September - Scott Lee.

Quote:
Your fundamentals need work, starting with your stance. Your stance is your first step into proper alignment. Pool isn't just played from the waist-up.
I like that last quote. I started out trying the squared off snooker type stance a lot of videos recommend (and there's a discussion around here also). My body just doesn't do that; the left-foot (I shoot right handed) aligned and shoulder width is possible but awkward, but I just can't bend smoothly at the waist as they do to put my chin near the cue. Maybe 40 years ago. We work with what we have.

That's not to say I have given up on standing properly, just that I think I need someone to work with me to find something I can manage that works.

Quote:
To the OP: You don't have a sense of the level of difficulty that you are attempting. Drawing a long shot like that is extremely difficult, even for a pro player. You aren't experienced enough to attempt a shot like that.
Well, nothing attempted, nothing gained, but your comment does make me feel a lot better.

One thing I have learned is that as I increase power, my right (back) hand is moving all over the place, left, right, etc. If I shoot soft, I am a lot more consistent. I think I was wrong about it being about a draw shot, it's more about power and maintaining consistency.

I have found that if I stop and ensure my back forearm is vertical I do better. I found I was varying that a lot by how far in I needed to reach. But the core movement problem (there are others, and sure a stance might help) is that I can't move fast and also keep the hand going straight down the cue line.

Old
  (#19)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
I'm not much of a videographer, though, so that may be harder than hitting it straight.

I think you are being modest. I like the split screen. How do you sync the cameras, if I may ask, and are they just smart phones or real video cameras?

Dan White

Old
  (#20)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member
Linwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
I think you are being modest. I like the split screen. How do you sync the cameras, if I may ask, and are they just smart phones or real video cameras?
Oh, not at all. I do a lot of sports photography and am quite good at it, but I know people who do video well, and there's a HUGE difference. I don't even try shooting sports video, just stills.

And no, they are DSLR's, a D5 and D800 in this case. Which are probably better than cell phones but hardly real video cameras.

Fortunately me shooting pool is not a hard to track subject.

I didn't sync the cameras, I loaded the video from them into a video editor and found the spot where the ball was hit, then slide the second video left and right until they lined up. That's the easy part.

But thank you. I was thinking of trying again after some practice, and trying as suggested above and shooting from the far side instead of behind me for the second shot. Any other suggestions welcomed.

Old
  (#21)
detroitfan0877
AzB Silver Member
detroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
I'm in Florida now, working. Contact me and I'll help you with this one, free of charge or obligation.
Matt, you're awesome!!

Old
  (#22)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member

08-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitfan0877 View Post
Matt, you're awesome!!
We did a Skype session and I learned a lot. Very helpful. Still digesting. Sadly leaving for a pool-less couple weeks on vacation, so hope I do not forget it all.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: