Plug, Tap and Thread
Old
  (#1)
playonepocket
AzB Silver Member
playonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Plug, Tap and Thread - 08-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Greetings builders,

I harvested a solid hitting shaft off a bar cue. Going to send it off to a cue maker to plug, tap and thread it for my 3/8x11 butt. Cue maker is also matching the ringwork.

The shaft was mated to the house cue with a steel rod, so it is going to need to be bored out and replugged.

Question: What material should I have him plug it with?

- phenolic
- nylon
- maple
- purple heart

What are the characteristics of each? How do they effect hit? And do you have other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

playonepocket

Old
  (#2)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member
youngstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2017, 02:16 PM

If he's the cuemaker I would leave it up to him (to plug it with maple)

"That kid right there shoots straighter than (bleepin') Robin Hood."

"Look, boss, I only got one rule. And that's never bet money that you don't have on a dog race with an ex-girlfriend who happens to be a stripper."

Old
  (#3)
playonepocket
AzB Silver Member
playonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond reputeplayonepocket has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2017, 03:29 PM

So, nobody out there uses anything other than maple???

playonepocket

Old
  (#4)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member
youngstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playonepocket View Post
So, nobody out there uses anything other than maple???

There are exceptions I'm sure.

"That kid right there shoots straighter than (bleepin') Robin Hood."

"Look, boss, I only got one rule. And that's never bet money that you don't have on a dog race with an ex-girlfriend who happens to be a stripper."

Old
  (#5)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2017, 04:39 AM

It was maple to begin with,,,,,,,,,

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Old
  (#6)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playonepocket View Post
Greetings builders,

I harvested a solid hitting shaft off a bar cue. Going to send it off to a cue maker to plug, tap and thread it for my 3/8x11 butt. Cue maker is also matching the ringwork.

The shaft was mated to the house cue with a steel rod, so it is going to need to be bored out and replugged.

Question: What material should I have him plug it with?

- phenolic
- nylon
- maple
- purple heart

What are the characteristics of each? How do they effect hit? And do you have other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Good morning:
I like Maple because usually, that's what it was. My next option is phenolic. Strong and durable but it changes the hit a little. If I make a shaft for a Heubler. I give the option of nylon. Not because I really like it but out of respect for Mr. Heubler.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Last edited by Michael Webb; 08-14-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Old
  (#7)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member

Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2017, 06:41 AM

I have plugged with maple, olivewood, purpleheart, African blackwood, phenolic, garolite etc.
I doubt you would be able to feel the difference. Garolite and phenolic are very tough, so chances of cross threading is minimal, but that`s mostly theoretical, any properly drilled, bored, reamed and tapped hole will most likely last as long as the shaft.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: