Question about pro taper shaft

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a new J Pechauer shaft off ebay. It has a much longer taper than my older JP shaft. My concern is that the tip measures 11.75mm, but 6-8" up the shaft measures closer to 11.6mm or less. Does that seem unusual for the taper to go further in?

I'm still debating on whether or not to return it. It would take some adjustment.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a new J Pechauer shaft off ebay. It has a much longer taper than my older JP shaft. My concern is that the tip measures 11.75mm, but 6-8" up the shaft measures closer to 11.6mm or less. Does that seem unusual for the taper to go further in?

I'm still debating on whether or not to return it. It would take some adjustment.

I'd return it, don't think I ever seen a standard shaft that was narrower behind the tip. I think there was one or maybe a few shafts that tried to do some bubble type thing by the tip but I have never seen one in person.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Is it from a reputable vendor?

Could be a return from somebody else that "cleaned" the shaft.

I would return it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't what the refer to as a parabolic taper, is It?

Dammit, do I have to go google?!

Even if that was cut that way on purpose, it shouldn't be sold undisclosed.

I am in the return camp.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would call Pechauer directly and see what they say about it. Sounds like it's likely been altered by someone other than Pechauer, and likely they made an error in their tapering / sanding. Probably why they are trying to unload it on Ebay.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would call Pechauer directly and see what they say about it. Sounds like it's likely been altered by someone other than Pechauer, and likely they made an error in their tapering / sanding. Probably why they are trying to unload it on Ebay.

Unless the ebay store is an authorized retailer, they should likely respond they won't consider assisting.

They had no control of the item and should they even bother wasting resources on determining if it is genuine.

Back to the seller, immediately, if not sooner.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like a very reputable seller that’s been around a long time. Nielsen’s Billiards in Illinois.

I think the website is joerackem.com.

I requested a return and sent a couple emails with no response. The online reviews are awesome, but I’m not having any luck yet. I’ll call their location tomorrow. I’m under the assumption it’s a genuine pechauer shaft.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have a 45 year old Josswest shaft that is like that.
29 1/2 inches long, starts at 12.2, after about 6 or 8 inches it gets a little skinnier, then fatter.
Great shaft actually if you like skinny shafts, but I won't sell it with a cue so it sits in a big old case of oddball stuff.
Someone must have been using one of those green scrunchie things to clean it or something.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
It seems like a very reputable seller that’s been around a long time. Nielsen’s Billiards in Illinois.

I think the website is joerackem.com.

I requested a return and sent a couple emails with no response. The online reviews are awesome, but I’m not having any luck yet. I’ll call their location tomorrow. I’m under the assumption it’s a genuine pechauer shaft.

I know Joe. They will take care of you. Top flight seller, one of the the guys.

Shaft should t be that way. The only time that happens on new shafts is by mistake. Used shafts get that way from improper cleaning (sanding)

Parabolic taper is completely different and truthfully not done on shafts. And it never goes down then back up in size.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Joe. They will take care of you. Top flight seller, one of the the guys.

Shaft should t be that way. The only time that happens on new shafts is by mistake. Used shafts get that way from improper cleaning (sanding)

Parabolic taper is completely different and truthfully not done on shafts. And it never goes down then back up in size.
I agree, joerackem is know to take care of his customers.

I didn't find a pic of parabolic taper shaft on the googels. Is is butts that cat parabolic-d?

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
.0059 inches

One might wish to consider .15 mm is .0059 of an inch. Wood more easily compressed or sink the sharp edge of calipers into.

Pretty common to have slight variations in a wood shaft.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call in morning. Joe and Kim good peeps they will make it right. Odd that got through QC.

-Kat,

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update:

Well, This has been a runaround. I attempted to exchange the shaft for another one. Nielsen’s was very nice and apologized for the issue. They assured me they would have the new shaft checked out first and send it as soon as they reviewed the tracking number for my return. Then I didn’t hear anything for a while, assuming the exchange was in the mail. Just saw the refunded my money. I’ve totally lost interest in doing business with them. I think they are overwhelmed with eBay sales.

Cheapcues.com has the same shafts at the same price and seems to respond to my emails.