Is it possible to straighten a Warped Cue??

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all

I did a search and could not find a Thread addressing straighting a warped Cue. So Is it possible to straighten a warped cue or do we just throw them away if they are too far gone.

BTW The reason for this question is I have a 20 some year old very cheap model Dufferin Sneaky Pete that was warped and to my amazement is fairly straight today when I pulled it out. It actually had a compound bend in it. I have not had a change to roll it on a pool table, only my counter top. So how straight it actually is might be questionable. But it no longer has the compound curve like it did. PS Today is a very rainy day and High Humidity but the house is Air Conditioned. Yes I live in the deep south and the shaft has no sealer on it after all those years.

dave sutton

Banned
it depends on where the warp is. in your case its a sneaky. it can be retapered then refinished depending on how warped it is. in a tradition 4 pointer if the warp is in the forearm then youre in trouble. handles can be replaced. i think your question is would it be worth it to fix it?

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
i had a warped forearm on one of my 8 point cues before, i sent it back to the cuemaker and he somehow straightened it out in less than a week. i think it only took him like 2 or 3 days. 2 years later the cue is still straight as when i received it back from him. i have no idea what he did but it worked. and

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can bend it, you can straighten it as well. But it takes patience.

Btw which section of your cue was warp?

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it depends on where the warp is. in your case its a sneaky. it can be retapered then refinished depending on how warped it is. in a tradition 4 pointer if the warp is in the forearm then youre in trouble. handles can be replaced. i think your question is would it be worth it to fix it?

Dave

No Way this Cue is worth spending any money on. First it is the Cheap model with the joint Screw in the shaft. Second it is only 56 inch long and has a butt about 2" in Diameter, Real old school. I got it CHEAP 5th hand 20 years ago. But my question was more out of curiosity than desire to straighten the stick. But I wouldn't mind trying to educate myself and give it a go. If I total mess up a messed stick there is no loss.

BTW Last night I rolled it on a table and much to my surprise it wasn't all that bad. I honestly believe it has straighten itself to a great extend. However I didn't even try hitting with it.

I might be thinking wild but. Is there some way to set up a jig and steam it straight??

icem3n

The Compound warp is in the shaft in the area your bridge hand would rest. After rolling it on a real table I am not so sure the Joint is perfect either. But I think I would rather play with a house stick than this piece of junk. I am not sure but my good playing cue might have a small warp that really doesn't concern me. I have a homemade lathe that I use to polish my cue shafts because I am anal about having a smooth surface running on my bridge hand. I hate when a Jerk pours a ton of baby powder on there hands and smear it all over the table.

But back to my original question. I think we all would like to know how to straighten a warped cue.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave

No Way this Cue is worth spending any money on. First it is the Cheap model with the joint Screw in the shaft. Second it is only 56 inch long and has a butt about 2" in Diameter, Real old school. I got it CHEAP 5th hand 20 years ago. But my question was more out of curiosity than desire to straighten the stick. But I wouldn't mind trying to educate myself and give it a go. If I total mess up a messed stick there is no loss.

BTW Last night I rolled it on a table and much to my surprise it wasn't all that bad. I honestly believe it has straighten itself to a great extend. However I didn't even try hitting with it.

I might be thinking wild but. Is there some way to set up a jig and steam it straight??

icem3n

The Compound warp is in the shaft in the area your bridge hand would rest. After rolling it on a real table I am not so sure the Joint is perfect either. But I think I would rather play with a house stick than this piece of junk. I am not sure but my good playing cue might have a small warp that really doesn't concern me. I have a homemade lathe that I use to polish my cue shafts because I am anal about having a smooth surface running on my bridge hand. I hate when a Jerk pours a ton of baby powder on there hands and smear it all over the table.

But back to my original question. I think we all would like to know how to straighten a warped cue.

I've been doing cue repair for many years and have read about and seen a number of different techniques and jigs for straightening warped shafts and have found none to permanently work. A number of years ago Jerry Pechauer got on RSB and said he had a way of straightening a shaft and guaranteed it to work. Maybe you could contact him.

Dick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've been doing cue repair for many years and have read about and seen a number of different techniques and jigs for straightening warped shafts and have found none to permanently work. A number of years ago Jerry Pechauer got on RSB and said he had a way of straightening a shaft and guaranteed it to work. Maybe you could contact him.

Dick

tap tap tap
Starting with the proper centers is the best way to prevent warpage imho.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
A number of years ago Jerry Pechauer got on RSB and said he had a way of straightening a shaft and guaranteed it to work.
Dick

Yup, it's called his lifetime warranty including warpage :wink:. Could it be that he just sends you a new shaft to replace a warped one? I don't know, but you have to hand it to Jerry for standing by his product and giving such a guarantee :thumbup2:.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I can warp a straight cue:grin-square:

Gravity is your friend, you can hang a cue for a year and that will help for sure.

But if you lived in Arizona the Dry Heat is the enemy. I take the WARPED House Cue, and Cues people give me to the Boy & Girls club, where they run off donations, and they have never refused a WARPED CUE yet!