Revo vs Becue

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This fella does a demonstration and compares it to graphite by saying it doesnt get sticky and feels like wood but its not, then says it moves out of the way just like wood and has that flex to it. Whats the selling point here, the fact it dont get them little dents and dings and you dont have to clean it as often lol?? Has anyone came to a final conclusion as to what the absolute advantage of the Revo over a wood LD shaft is, when it comes to pocketing balls? Surely people arent spending $600 on these because they want to avoid maintenance and the fact theyll stay dead straight forever.

Here's my experience .. I have previously played with hollow maple LD shafts and they all feel some what 'dead' .. I can not see if the tip of the shaft moves on any shaft, but the hollow maple shafts do not feel solid, in fact just the opposite. The Becue feels and hits like a solid maple shaft, in fact I can not really tell the difference. For me, the hit of the Becue is one of the best I have experienced, it really feels great.

How does the Becue shaft help to pocket balls?

I had to commit myself to shooting with this cue, and no other, for close to a year. My game has improved in that the rock is more easily controlled because of the consistency of this cue - the same stroke will produce the exact same result every time. I have never owned a wood shaft that did not have, to some degree, consistency issues. Perhaps it's changing humidity, perhaps it's radial inconsistency - who knows. Bottom line is that I have complete confidence in where the rock will land when I use the Becue. I will attempt shots when the landing pad is very small, that I would not attempt with any shaft I have ever previously played.

This took awhile to come together for me. But unless I'm jumping a ball or breaking it will be a Becue in my hands for a long time to come. Once you get use to this new cue all your old wooden cues pale in comparison when you pick one up, at least that is my experience.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my experience .. I have previously played with hollow maple LD shafts and they all feel some what 'dead' .. I can not see if the tip of the shaft moves on any shaft, but the hollow maple shafts do not feel solid, in fact just the opposite. The Becue feels and hits like a solid maple shaft, in fact I can not really tell the difference. For me, the hit of the Becue is one of the best I have experienced, it really feels great.

I had to commit myself to shooting with this cue, and no other, for close to a year. My game has improved in that the rock is more easily controlled because of the consistency of this cue - the same stroke will produce the exact same result every time. I have never owned a wood shaft that did not have, to some degree, consistency issues. Perhaps it's changing humidity, perhaps it's radial inconsistency - who knows. Bottom line is that I have complete confidence in where the rock will land when I use the Becue. I will attempt shots when the landing pad is very small, that I would not attempt with any shaft I have ever previously played.

This took awhile to come together for me. But unless I'm jumping a ball or breaking it will be a Becue in my hands for a long time to come. Once you get use to this new cue all your old wooden cues pale in comparison when you pick one up, at least that is my experience.

It like to add on to this because I experienced the same results...committed to the BeCue 5.1 for more than half a year, and then when the prime shaft came out, it was no going back ever. The taper, the new paint scheme, a harder tip...but most important the consistency was through the roof with either shaft.

Here is what I experienced over the last five years of really laying into the sport and spending quality hours at the table. I tried 4 different brands off LD shafts...found a shaft I liked, got it to the perfect size, taper, feel...bang, it cracks on me while firing a draw shot...so I go to my spare, play for a year and it starts to get weak...whippy on extreme shots like high follow to go down and back...so I purchase the same shaft, take it to the same cue maker to turn it down to the exact size of my older shaft...never could duplicate the same feel/hit, it was just different. Oh well, I'll stick to my old faithful. The week before a good sized tournament, I'm practicing and the dreaded "tink" as I discover a crack, right down the lamination splices of the shaft...had to switch to a whole new shaft for the tournament.

Here's what BeCue will do for me...never break down, never play uneven or inconsistent...it's hard enough adapting/learning table conditions, you don't want to have to adjust to your cue.

The guys at BeCue were able to meet my ferrule diameter/taper/tip preference requests right out of the box. So impressed, I ordered a spare because I never want to be without it. And both shafts play identical.

With all this, now comes the fun part...with a consistent shaft that will not adjust, weaken, breakdown over time...I can conduct clean experimentation with tips for extended periods of time. A medium tip on a BeCue will play true, and I can throw a hard on the other shaft and go from there. Put in long hours, and when I change tips, maybe try something new, but I'll have identical hit data in my mind to form a more accurate opinion/preference. This also plays the same into experimenting with different chalk, table lengths, tables of different makes/cushion rubber.

Finally the shaft part of the equation is now brought to a consistent steady read, no longer a variable...and pool is a complex enough problem to solve all together...having one piece solved and steady frees up your mind to learning and advancing.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This fella does a demonstration and compares it to graphite by saying it doesnt get sticky and feels like wood but its not, then says it moves out of the way just like wood and has that flex to it. Whats the selling point here, the fact it dont get them little dents and dings and you dont have to clean it as often lol?? Has anyone came to a final conclusion as to what the absolute advantage of the Revo over a wood LD shaft is, when it comes to pocketing balls? Surely people arent spending $600 on these because they want to avoid maintenance and the fact theyll stay dead straight forever.

I can't answer for Revo, as I did not invest in one until they were able to make one in the diameter I requested, 12.0mm....we know they can but they choose not to. So I didn't bite.
BeCue was able to do that right from the start so I went with them.

In the posts above, I tried to be blunt and narrow down the top reasons why I like carbon fiber in BeCue from here on out. It's about consistency over time...if I'm going to invest hours utilizing a specific instrument, id prefer that instrument be around, unchanged, and untouched. In my limited experience, I just couldn't ever reach that state of being with wood shafts.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Becue only offers a 12mm and an 11.8mm tip? Seems like they would offer a shaft/tip option something more in the 12.5mm range for those of us that prefer not such a skinny shaft/tip?

The 5.1 has an 11.8mm tip, but a very quick rise into the conical taper. It is much thicker a few inches down the shaft...thicker than I prefer for my closed bridge.

The hit of both shafts are very similar to me, but I haven't spent as much time playing with the 5.1 as I have with the Prime. The 5.1 is probably a bit stiffer.

Before I bought the Becue, I played with shafts that were larger than 13mm, but since I use a glove with the Becue it makes the 12mm shaft feel a bit thicker in my closed bridge. I have gotten used to the smaller tip size.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll start off by saying, "I don't think anyone who makes or sells custom cues with wooden shafts is going to like the idea of production carbon fiber shafts that may put a big dent into the sales of convention wooden shafts".

I have more than my share of cues and I have custom wooden shafts that go for above $300 each. Why do they cost that much? It isn't that the wood costs anywhere near that, nor the other materials used in making them? It is the time involved and the maker's name.

I have custom cues that were made for me and have expensive production cues from name companies that don't play better than the Becue.

I'm not saying the Becue is the "BE ALL" and that is the end of cue making, but what I'm saying is it will hit as well, if not better, than just about any cue made by anybody or any company.

What I like about the Becue shaft is that it hits consistent and solid. There is no worry about which way the grain runs, which way it is oriented, or anything else. It is kind of "point and shoot". Since it isn't wood, it isn't affected by temperature or moisture. I notice that my wooden shafts play differently when the temperature or humidity changes in the pool room if I'm playing all day, from morning until night. Another thing I like about it, is that the butt is "one piece"...it isn't segmented of different pieces of wood held together by screws, tendons, dowels, glue or whatever, so there is no worry about something coming "loose".

I'll let the REVO crowd explain what they like about it, but I've played both shafts and the Becue impressed me more. I think the reason the Becue hits and plays differently is because the whole cue is carbon fiber, not just the shaft. I don't know how the Becue shaft would play on a normal butt and I have no intention of buying one to find out when they become available. I think the cue I have is more than I'll ever need.

After I've played with it now, for a couple months, I can immediately tell the difference in the hit of this cue against the hit of any cue or shaft belonging to other players in the pool room. That goes from PFDs, TADs, Joseys, Mezz, SW, etc. I, personally, think the hit of the Becue hits better than all of them. I'm not singling out any cue or maker, I'm just saying that the "feel" and "hit" of the Becue is RADICALLY different that what you get from wooden cues.

It isn't going to make you go from an APA-3 to Dennis Orcullo over night, but I think the shaft is so "consistent" that it will make you trust it more and be more comfortable playing with it.

People mention "dings and dents". The Becue can be "dinged"..I don't know about "dented". The shaft is coated with aviation paint and it can be chipped if you slam it into something. I don't know how thick the coating of paint is, but I'm sure you can nick it down to the carbon fiber if you hit it on something with a sharp edge.

I'm not promoting the Becue because I have any interest with them, I'm just telling you what I think. When the REVO came out and I saw the first one, I called it "a TV antenna" and joked with the people who bought them. I thought it hit pretty good, but never would have bought one. When I saw and tried the Becue, it got my attention because it played so well the first time I picked it up. There was no real learning curve for me. I didn't rush out to buy one, and probably never would have, but I came across one with an offer than I couldn't refuse and am glad I didn't refuse.

I'm sure some people won't like it, just like anything else. It isn't "pretty". It isn't "fancy". It doesn't have inlays and shiny stuff. It doesn't even come with a wrap as an option, that I've seen. All you get is a cue...and a damn good playing one. If you are looking for something fancy, buy something else. If you are looking for something fun to play with that works as advertised, try the Becue.

Last edited:

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the players at the room I play in in Rochester purchased a Revo shaft when it was first delivered. Tried it several times. He recently purchased the break version as well. The major problem I found was exactly as you described it. Can not see the tip! Found I touched the cue ball prematurely on way too many occasions.

Yes, I'm old. Yes, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Perhaps changing to a colored tip might help. Then again, I'm about the only player NOT using a "low deflection" shaft in the room. My 25 year old Schon shaft still plays good enough for this old fogy! When I get to SBE next month, one of my projects is to find a retailer for BeCue and try one.

Lyn
Hope you come by booth 775 at SBE to see the Becue. That is the Professor Q Ball booth next to the 3 Cushion event. I will have shooting cues and break cues to try and may have some new items.

Ricky Bryant
USABecueOfficia@gmail.com

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Becue only offers a 12mm and an 11.8mm tip? Seems like they would offer a shaft/tip option something more in the 12.5mm range for those of us that prefer not such a skinny shaft/tip?

Yes you can get a 12.5mm Becue shaft. Contact me for more information. Also you can get any of the Becue shafts with a plastic plug where the B-Joint is normally. This would allow for another joint to be installed.

Please contact me for Pricing, Questions and of course Specials - Discounts

Ricky Bryant
USABecueOfficial@gmail.com

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you can get a 12.5mm Becue shaft. Contact me for more information. Also you can get any of the Becue shafts with a plastic plug where the B-Joint is normally. This would allow for another joint to be installed.

Ricky Bryant

I'm curious, I'm pretty sure I saw a Becue for sale a couple weeks ago and the ad said one of the shafts had a roll when screwed together. I don't have time to look right now but in one of the Revo/Becue threads someone said something about a wobble they had in one of the Becue shafts. Is that common, and I thought the straightness was almost a guarantee with the carbon fiber?

Not being negative because I'm interested in these cues, but like I said, curious...

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious, I'm pretty sure I saw a Becue for sale a couple weeks ago and the ad said one of the shafts had a roll when screwed together. I don't have time to look right now but in one of the Revo/Becue threads someone said something about a wobble they had in one of the Becue shafts. Is that common, and I thought the straightness was almost a guarantee with the carbon fiber?

Not being negative because I'm interested in these cues, but like I said, curious...
Apparently there was an occasional problem with joint match-up that caused some roll difference with screwed together. The plat has assured me this has been corrected and they are managing field corrections. My shooting cue (butt was one of the first made) and my prime shaft (made in October) have a slight roll issue when screwed together. It was miss reported at 2 credit card and I would say less than a credit card. The Butt and Shaft both roll straight separate. I would say this is not a common problem and the plant is addressing this with customers.

Ricky Bryant

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to reiterate Ricky’s point: Yes, you can buy the shafts separately. However you don’t want to. The key innovation with the BeCue is that both the shaft and the butt are carbon fiber, not just the shaft as in the Revo. It is the combination of the two carbon fiber parts that gives the BeCue its unique feel and hit. And, in my opinion, this is why the BeCue is superior to the Revo design.

The pin out on the BeCue is just a standard 10mm 1.5 thread bolt, so it doesn’t join with most butts by other manufacturers with all their odd and diverse pin outs. Which is the reason this whole issue about buying the shafts separately arose in the first place. The concern was that you had to buy the butt with the shaft, oththerwise the shaft would not mate with your existing wooden butt. But as Ricky said, you can get the shafts without pins so you can have whatever pin inserted that mates with your existing butts. BUT AGAIN, you don’t really want to do this. Putting the BeCue carbon fiber shaft on a wooden butt defeats at least half the whole point of the cue!

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to reiterate Ricky’s point: Yes, you can buy the shafts separately. However you don’t want to. The key innovation with the BeCue is that both the shaft and the butt are carbon fiber, not just the shaft as in the Revo. It is the combination of the two carbon fiber parts that gives the BeCue its unique feel and hit. And, in my opinion, this is why the BeCue is superior to the Revo design.

The pin out on the BeCue is just a standard 10mm 1.5 thread bolt, so it doesn’t join with most butts by other manufacturers with all their odd and diverse pin outs. Which is the reason this whole issue about buying the shafts separately arose in the first place. The concern was that you had to buy the butt with the shaft, oththerwise the shaft would not mate with your existing wooden butt. But as Ricky said, you can get the shafts without pins so you can have whatever pin inserted that mates with your existing butts. BUT AGAIN, you don’t really want to do this. Putting the BeCue carbon fiber shaft on a wooden butt defeats at least half the whole point of the cue!

I agree.

I think the reason the cue hits the way it does is because the entire cue is carbon fiber.

I don't know why people think that their butt, custom or production, will play better on the Becue shaft than the butt that was created for it.

I think it is kind of humorous that people will go out an buy a super expensive custom cue by a named maker and brag about how well it hits, and then go out and buy an after-market shaft to play with it.

The Becue wasn't designed to be "pretty" or "fancy"...it was designed to play pool with. Looks are irrelevant when it comes to playing pool. Buy what works and spend your extra money on fancy shoes or clothes with the money you saved on the fancy cue.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what size at the joint

Ricky Bryant

Would like to know what size they are at the joint. Has anyone purchased
a shaft and had it fitted to another butt. I would like to hear what it felt like.
I know Hawaiian Eye thinks the CF butt makes it feel and sound the way
it does, but I would like to here from someone who has put it on another butt.
jack

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would like to know what size they are at the joint. Has anyone purchased
a shaft and had it fitted to another butt. I would like to hear what it felt like.
I know Hawaiian Eye thinks the CF butt makes it feel and sound the way
it does, but I would like to here from someone who has put it on another butt.
jack

I just measured mine at the joint and it is .830.

The butt cap at the very end is 1.19.

A-A-RON

Registered
Im in the same boat as far as wondering how the BeCue shaft plays on a wood butt? Would be nice to hear that it plays just as well with a wood butt as it does with a carbon fiber butt. I think a clean Ebony wood butt with white inlays and using the white BeCue shaft would look pretty nice, but looks dont matter if the play isnt there.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.

I think the reason the cue hits the way it does is because the entire cue is carbon fiber.

I don't know why people think that their butt, custom or production, will play better on the Becue shaft than the butt that was created for it.

I think it is kind of humorous that people will go out an buy a super expensive custom cue by a named maker and brag about how well it hits, and then go out and buy an after-market shaft to play with it.

The Becue wasn't designed to be "pretty" or "fancy"...it was designed to play pool with. Looks are irrelevant when it comes to playing pool. Buy what works and spend your extra money on fancy shoes or clothes with the money you saved on the fancy cue.

I don't think that flat metal face on the shaft will work so well with a wood butt I once had a I think it was a schmelke cue that had a flat metal to metal connection joint and hit like shit

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that flat metal face on the shaft will work so well with a wood butt I once had a I think it was a schmelke cue that had a flat metal to metal connection joint and hit like shit

Note to pool players:

Throw away your fancy cues and don't worry about "styling" in the pool hall.

Are you there to play pool or show off your fancy cue? Or both? If both is the answer, bring along your fanciest cue.

If you want to "style", stand around holding your fancy cue while your opponent is shooting. If you want to play pool, use the Becue as it was intended...with the carbon fiber shaft and butt.

I played about eight hours yesterday and I can say that this may be the "funnest" cue to play with that I've experienced in a long, long time.

The cue is basically "point and shoot", if you know what you are doing. The cue hits so solid and "clean" that it feels like the cue ball actually has a "connection" to the tip. What I mean by "clean" is that no matter where you hit on the cue ball, it feels as though you are hitting center on the cue ball. It seems that all the power of your stroke is being transferred to the cue ball...even on off-center hits. I think that part of my set-up that makes it so comfortable to me is that I have an Ultra-skin soft tip on it and it really grips the cue ball.

On another note, I don't know how many times I've been asked what kind of tip I'm using by other players in the pool hall. When I tell them what it is and that isn't a fancy $25 tip, they are surprised and ask me where to get them. I need to order some more and I'll get enough to share. I was breaking 10-ball yesterday with an old Players Sneaky Pete and I shattered the Le Pro tip that was on it. I prefer breaking with a regular cue and using the same type of tip that I'm playing with. When breaking, I think I can better control the cue ball with a tip that gives me the same reaction as the tip I'm using for my regular shots.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I felt the exact same way...

I felt the same way, which is why I developed a LD shaft that doesn't feel that way. It still has reduced end mass to reduce squirt, but it also has a center core all the way to the ferule to provide that solid feel.

If we're ever in the same place I'll let you try it.

Jaden

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I felt the same way, which is why I developed a LD shaft that doesn't feel that way. It still has reduced end mass to reduce squirt, but it also has a center core all the way to the ferule to provide that solid feel.

If we're ever in the same place I'll let you try it.

Jaden

Sounds like a cuetec shaft

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im in the same boat as far as wondering how the BeCue shaft plays on a wood butt? Would be nice to hear that it plays just as well with a wood butt as it does with a carbon fiber butt. I think a clean Ebony wood butt with white inlays and using the white BeCue shaft would look pretty nice, but looks dont matter if the play isnt there.

It does... I play with it exclusively now across all of my cues.. (Becue- Prime shaft- with a Medium 'Precision tip' from Dennis Searing). I have multiple crossover mid cue extensions (about 2 inches long and about 1oz each) for everything from small pins to big and radial and unilock.. (i have many cues.. from cheap $15 budweiser to not so cheap >$3k..

If I don't look down I can't tell what butt I'm using. Shaft plays (for me) the same if the weight is relatively the same (+-.5 oz).. This mid cue extensions' minor weight addition 'masks one's perceptions' of the over all minor increase cue weight (imo-upto an ounce) when shooting. I prefera forward balanced cue over a butt heavy cue anyway.

BTW If you want this shaft to be 'super slick and shiny' and super easy to keep clean might I suggest Using Meguiars Scratch X 2.0.. You'll get an instant High Gloss finish that stays clean (looks almost like pearl white). Personal I like playing with a glove which makes this super gloss polished finish simply disappear other than bridge finger pressures. (no Dragging ever).

Same shaft surface Treatment for the Dark Matter Carbon Fiber break Cue- super slick -super smooth... I'm using a White TAOMs on it and can use it as a jump shaft -super light- with a feather-weight custom jump but I built.

Pin is M10 1.5 pitch ... (Lowes sells a Hex Head screw upto 2" THAT YOU CAN MODIFY with a hack saw- :) and they also sell the tap set if you'er so inclined -like me- to build your own mid cue extension. If you wish to hire it done there's an AZ'er here (Dave -NewSherrifInTwn) that does get work and can custom build these cross-over extensions for you if you tell him where to get the Pin (screws)..

I highly recommend the Prime shaft and with that find a good tip person who will never touch your shaft and you'll have a cue that will remain consistent many many many moons. Having a consistent reference is nice to have to build on when adding to your 'shot bag of tricks'..

R