Who are considered the best teachers right now?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm assuming a lot of world champs like ray martin will be mentioned. Also, is it because of their way to approaching the game? How they teach?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know whether he still gives lessons but I'd track down Ray Martin and beg him to give me lessons if I was inclined to take lessons. He would easily be my first choice.

His book 99 critical shots is one of the best on pool and he is a world champion.

MalibuMike

Banned
I learned from the best!

John Schmidt! Awesome 14.1 player!

Attachments

• js.jpg
    js.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 635
  • js2.jpg
    js2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 619

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Robin Dreyer, Portland, Oregon.

I'm totally interested in 9 ball right now but during my four hour lesson with Robin, I asked him to spend an hour or two on 14:1. I had never seen anyone crack open the rack calling the head ball into the side pocket and making it 9 times out of 10? I'm not sure if he'd recommend that against a 200 player! Now, I'm a novice at this game and maybe you all know how to do that but have found it too risky. Then he proceeded to show me where to leave the break out ball and how to handle it from 30+ locations. He has written an extensive paper called 85 breakout positions and how to shoot them. How to hit the rack and how not to. Scratch lines, safeties, etc. etc. Was a fantastic intro to the game. I'm not sure I'll gravitate to 14;1, but my interest has risen. Robin can and does teach all games but 14:1 happens to be his favorite. Take advantage while he is virtually unknown. Raise your game and book a lesson with Robin Dreyer! www.robindreyer.com

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ray martin was my guess too
he is knowledgeable ,practical and easy to understand

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robin Dreyer, Portland, Oregon.

He has written an extensive paper called 85 breakout positions and how to shoot them.

Does he have this available for purchase? Might be a couple of good tidbits in there even for more advanced players.

Oregon is a bit of a hike for a lesson, though.

Thanks!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does he have this available for purchase? Might be a couple of good tidbits in there even for more advanced players.

Oregon is a bit of a hike for a lesson, though.

Thanks!

I, also, would be interested in obtaining the material on "85 breakout positions and how to shoot them."

denwhit -- any chance you could convince Robin to sell that material to interested AzBers?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great recommendations so far. I'd add Dan Barouty to the list, a very scholarly old schooler with truly great communication skills. Bobby Hunter and Tony Robles, too. We all know that DiLiberto coached Stefan Cohen with great success, so Danny should be on the short list.

One tricky aspect of the question is the matter of who actually does teach. For example, Mosconi once referred to Rempe as the best pattern player in the world, but does Jimmy teach 14.1? Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Dallas West and Mike Sigel are all super-gurus, but do they teach? To learn the defensive part of the game, I'd go to Allen Hopkins, the best defensive 14.1 player ever not named Irving Crane, but does Allen teach defense?

In the end, find someone who can give a series of lessons on a planned schedule. I am not of the opinion that you'll advance very far taking a single lesson from any instructor. Word of mouth recommendations are also very valuable in selecting an instructor.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One tricky aspect of the question is the matter of who actually does teach. For example, Mosconi once referred to Rempe as the best pattern player in the world, but does Jimmy teach 14.1?

I can vouch for Rempe. He does teach 14.1.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I know Dallas West used to give lessons as well. I don't know how well Jim Rempe teaches one on one, but I know from his accu-stats commentary he's a great communicator.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm assuming a lot of world champs like ray martin will be mentioned. Also, is it because of their way to approaching the game? How they teach?

Save your money and arrange a multi hour or multi day lesson with Robin Dreyer in Portland, Or for about a 1/3 of what the big names charge. You can pay for the airfare, hotel, lessons and still come out better than just $$$ for lessons with the big names. www.robindreyer.com

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Save your money and arrange a multi hour or multi day lesson with Robin Dreyer in Portland, Or for about a 1/3 of what the big names charge. You can pay for the airfare, hotel, lessons and still come out better than just $$$ for lessons with the big names. www.robindreyer.com

I know you're trying to do a good thing for an instructor that has impressed you but -- having taken lessons from Dallas West and Ray Martin -- I honestly have no earthly idea how you can possibly make this kind of blanket statement.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3003990#post3003990

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=267014

Lou Figueroa

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I know you're trying to do a good thing for an instructor that has impressed you but -- having taken lessons from Dallas West and Ray Martin -- I honestly have no earthly idea how you can possibly make this kind of blanket statement.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3003990#post3003990

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=267014

Lou Figueroa

There is only one way to find out... I'll stand by my man. I do know that the world's best players do not necessarily make the world's best teachers. For example, I've talked to people that have taken lessons from a well known female pro. They came away thinking; "yes, she can really play". Yes, but what did you learn for your $500? Answer; "that she can really play".

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is only one way to find out... I'll stand by my man. I do know that the world's best players do not necessarily make the world's best teachers. For example, I've talked to people that have taken lessons from a well known female pro. They came away thinking; "yes, she can really play". Yes, but what did you learn for your $500? Answer; "that she can really play".

Are you not saying that, based upon the experience of a friend, there is *one* female pro out there who provided your friend with a poor learning experience? I'm not sure how you get from that one experience with *a pro* to talking about *the world's best players* and the quality of their instruction. IOWs a pro is different from the world's best.

Certainly, even at the world champion level, they're not all great teachers but some/many are.

And personally, if I were paying a guy actual money for a 14.1 lesson and he started the lesson by showing me the head ball break (or the corner ball bank) I'd run for the hills. But that's just me.

Lou Figueroa

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you not saying that, based upon the experience of a friend, there is *one* female pro out there who provided your friend with a poor learning experience? I'm not sure how you get from that one experience with *a pro* to talking about *the world's best players* and the quality of their instruction. IOWs a pro is different from the world's best.

Certainly, even at the world champion level, they're not all great teachers but some/many are.

And personally, if I were paying a guy actual money for a 14.1 lesson and he started the lesson by showing me the head ball break (or the corner ball bank) I'd run for the hills. But that's just me.

Lou Figueroa

The female pro was one of the world's best. I asked Robin if there is a way to make a ball on the break and then he proceeded to answer my question with the demonstration. before getting in to the real lesson. Do you mean to say if you positively knew you could make a called ball on the break in 14:1, you wouldn't do it? I don't play it so can't answer that for myself. It does seem like something worthwhile to know.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The female pro was one of the world's best. I asked Robin if there is a way to make a ball on the break and then he proceeded to answer my question with the demonstration. before getting in to the real lesson. Do you mean to say if you positively knew you could make a called ball on the break in 14:1, you wouldn't do it? I don't play it so can't answer that for myself. It does seem like something worthwhile to know.

Those are pretty much trick shots. There's pocketing the corner ball by banking it to the head of the table, and there's sending the cue ball two rails around the corner into the corner ball to send the first ball 2 rails into the side. That shot in particular is dependent on the table and the rack, I believe. You probably either have to have a perfect table, or one wired in order for it to work.

It is kind of a showboat move that I think is disrespectful of your opponent. It's like saying, "I'm gonna start out with a trick shot because I know you can't beat me even if I miss." I'm happy to say I beat the last guy who tried that move on me. Having said that, if I knew I could make the shot 4/5 tries and I knew my opponent was not really able to get through more than a rack or two, I might do it, but probably only in a money game.