Older Joss weight bolt removal

ralphdukephoto

Hello!

I have an older Joss cue, ( lettering on the joint collars)
I want to change the weight of the cue, but, after removing the bumper, which is attached to the weight bolt with a small screw.
I noticed the hex shaped bolt is very close to the edges of the inside of the butt.
which means, I would need a very thin walled socket to remove it. this is something I do not have. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Ralph

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello!

I have an older Joss cue, ( lettering on the joint collars)
I want to change the weight of the cue, but, after removing the bumper, which is attached to the weight bolt with a small screw.
I noticed the hex shaped bolt is very close to the edges of the inside of the butt.
which means, I would need a very thin walled socket to remove it. this is something I do not have. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Ralph

You are right. It requires a thin wall socket. You can buy one.

Or you can take a standard socket to your grinder (or a lathe if you have one) and make it a thin wall.

The cue makers will be along soon, maybe they know something better than that.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some require a thin wall socket and you can't get there with a standard 9/16 socket

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a cuemaker, but I own a 1985 Joss white letter collar cue. The socket doesn't fit my cue either, But needle nose pliers worked fine. The bolt was not in tightly.

bobco729

bobco729
Silver Member
If it has a delrin butt cap put a piece of tape at top of butt cap overlaping the wood and delrin before loosening the bolt. Sometimes the delrin will come loose if not careful.