Cuemakers Who Are Excellent Players

SpiderMan

Registered
Sort of an inverse reply, but Mike Erwin (who started with Meucci in the early '70s, then went solo a decade or so later) once told me that he was lucky to make 3 balls in a row. Truth or exaggeration, I don't know, but I never even saw him hold a cue outside his shop. Though he left no doubt that he thought Vivian Villareal was the ultimate!

Last edited:

SpiderMan

Registered
mike ,captain hook, sigel makes/made cues?

Yes. I visited his shop in Florida about 10+ years ago. He was playing in the front room with Ewa when we arrived, and took us on a brief tour. He had some nice CNC gear, but he seemed a little new at it all and I don't know who he was learning from.

He used to run ads in Billiards Digest with a picture of himself holding out a cue, captioned "World Champion".

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marc Oelslager out of MN makes cues and plays pretty sporty. His stroke is incredible, especially considering he doesn't play much.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marc Oelslager out of MN makes cues and plays pretty sporty. His stroke is incredible, especially considering he doesn't play much.

Marc is the 1990 ACUI 8-ball national champion. I played him at the Regional tournament in Mankato that year. I was very impressed and remembered the name from that point on. After the break, he would take a moment to look the table over, nod his head a little and then run out. I think I managed to get two games on my breaks in the race to 5.

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marc is the 1990 ACUI 8-ball national champion. I played him at the Regional tournament in Mankato that year. I was very impressed and remembered the name from that point on. After the break, he would take a moment to look the table over, nod his head a little and then run out. I think I managed to get two games on my breaks in the race to 5.

I think it was around that time or maybe a few years later when he was at his peak. He was even mentioned in the "Running The Table" book and he's got some great stories. He's still capable of playing at a high level now and knocks off big names at tourneys fairly regularly, but he's a little inconsistent from what I've seen. He opened a room in Moorhead, MN not too long ago and may be playing a little more now. He's given me some tips and helped me with some confidence issues and for that, I'll be forever grateful. You don't find that every day from high level players, without having to get in the grease and donate some.....

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear the new kid on the block, Eddie Cohen, doesn't shoot half bad.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny Green. Yes DG makes cues!!!! I seriously doubt any cuemaker plays at his level, at least not currently.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Polite

In his day? LMAO Bobby just finished high in 2 out of 3 events at the DCC last month. Pretty sure he can still play at a very high level.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I was trying to be polite, last time I talked with Bobby was 3 years ago, he said he had some health issues with one or both of his eyes, I really don't remember the exact problem.

We talked about his game and he said is game was way below his normal level of play.

I point blank asked him if he thought he could hang with Shawn P.
He said he didn't think so.

I haven't seen Bobby play sense 2007( I think), I know it was right before he left for Manila to play in the IPT, It could of been 2008 ?

So I said ( In his day because of what Bobby had told me ).
And by no means should be taken as a slam towards Bobby,

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Mottey of Pittsburgh, PA. He, Gary McVay and Don Steele were the best in Western Pennsylvania. Of course none of them were as good as Jimmy Marino.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Larry

Really ,, how bout Larry Neval and Shawn Putman ,

I don't think Larry is actively building cues. I could be wrong but last time I talked to him he was shooting with a Harris Custom Cue and got another from us for his girl. It was on his reccomendation that we contacted Rob, who seems to be severely unrecognized in the industry in my opinion. If Larry takes up building cues again independently I can assure you we will be his dealer. If anybody is interested in a cue built by Larry, let us know. THx

p.s. If you want a LD shaft, Larry has no time for them. "Don't care for those predator shafts". "Predator shaft" is the equivilant to asking for a "coke" down south. Lol

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the best way to settle this question is to have a tournament for established active Cuemakers. We are putting on a Cuemakers International 9 Ball Championship at the Super Billiards Expo in April. We are doing it for charity for the Galilean Childrens Home and the entry donation is $50.
Justin Hightower is the current two time defending champion. So encourage all the cuemakers you think are the best to come play in it. I would love to see Bobby H, Mike G, Larry N and Shawn P play. I feel they are probably some of the best nine ball players that are active cuemakers.

Pass the below information on to your favorites.

http://www.internationalcuemakers.com/?page=events

Last edited: