Rubber Bumper or Not?

CrossBone Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to ask,
I have been shooting for a while with a phenolic bumper, do any of you take out the bumper or use something difference and if you do, can you tell it hits different?
I have made several for folks, all like it. Not sure if it is because it does change the hit or the fact their buddies don't have one.
Seems once they try it, they call back and want to change other cues they own.
Steve

Phenolic%201_zpseblbv8pa.jpg
[/IMG]

Phenolic%202_zps1tci19mx.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Hey Steve...I don't know if that would change the hit, but it sure looks good. I think I will make one to match my butt cap though and find out. It's definately different and I like that. Also, I bet it wouldn't expand and explode out a thin walled wood or ivory cap the way rubber can if it took a hard hit...a thin rubber washer above the bumper may help eliminate any rattles or noises too. Thanks for showing your idea. Matt D.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely looks cool. Don't know how well it would hold up over time, though.

I removed the bumper from my cue and didn't notice a difference in the hit, but it definitely sounds different.

CrossBone Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely looks cool. Don't know how well it would hold up over time, though.

I removed the bumper from my cue and didn't notice a difference in the hit, but it definitely sounds different.

I think that may be it, if you tell someone it hits different, then they shoot with it and the sound is completely different, the brain says there is something different, but it can't determine between sound and feel.

I think there is, but could it be a brain trick. Guess I could experiment with ear muffs.
As far as holding up, I have one on my beater and I have been rough on it, still holding up well.
I'm sure someone out there has done this before, I did it when I was making
"The Phenolic Beast Cue". That thing is loaded with Phenolic all 32 ounces..lol..Phenolic Inlays, Butt Sleeve, Bumper, Rings. Its not that heavy, just been screwing with Brad (BlackBoar Owner)

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
feel

I can definitely feel a difference. The regular rubber bumper dampens the vibrations - just like a dampener they use on bows. In the cue world - vibration equals feedback or "feel." There's your answer.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
different feel

blackboreowner hit it on the head, when brunswick offered rubber bumpers on their cues, they described it as a vibration dampener.

now we describe viration as feedback.

i have started making more bumperless cues and my customers are telling me that like the ' feel '

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here it is

Here it is - works great! Distinct ivory ring when you hit the cue ball. Better feedback and feel. Love it!

Attachments

• 20150226_183003.jpg
    20150226_183003.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 292

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can definitely feel a difference. The regular rubber bumper dampens the vibrations - just like a dampener they use on bows. In the cue world - vibration equals feedback or "feel." There's your answer.

I agree to this and also would add that it looks much better also😄

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think JoeyinCali started a thread on this before in the Product talks section somewhere. It's a neat Idea, and looks cool for sure.

You could even turn it around and break with it!

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bumper

I ordered the bumper that long. I wanted to protect the delrin buttcap because it is an expensive cue. I didn't have any phenolic - so Steve made it for me. I work on cues. I can take some off the bumper - but not add on. This isn't really the purpose of the thread. I believe it has to do with the concept of what it does to the tone and feel - while providing protection.

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the rubber bumper out of my Southwest cue. I like the feel of the vibration without it and have better control.

CrossBone Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He ordered It,
I made it,
he likes it,
so there you are.
Guess he never thought to call you for permission to change it.
Shame on you Brad...lol..
Have a good one, I am
Steve

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bumper

To be clear - I love the quality and design of Tascarella cues. That's why I play with one. This thread and my decision to add a phenolic bumper was not to question Pete Tascarella' s cue making decisions. Truth is - I shoot about 30 hours a week with it in a place with a rug floor. The bumper was getting worn down to a dangerous level by the short fiber commercial rug. I wanted to replace the bumper. So I decided to replace it with one of St eve's because I have shot with one and liked the added tone and feedback. No disrespect to the maker of my cue. Fact is - I love it so much that I apparently use it too much, and wear out bumpers. I also work on a lathe and can remove some material if I want. I ordered it long knowing that I can remove easily - adding is a little more difficult. That being said - the thread is about experimenting with other materials as bumpers for tone, feel, and DURABILITY. I'm happy to say that I am pleased with the results as a consumer/player - and it is working. That's my explanation, disclaimer about not questioning the maker, and my REVIEW. By the way - I have also put bigger tires on my 4x4 truck, customized and souped up my car, and I believe a lot of women wear makeup and color their hair to enhance their appearance. That being said - let's all play nice and maybe learn from each other.