Hercek or Southwest

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, if you had the choice between a Southwest and a Hercek what cue would you go with. I know they are two different animals construction, joint,etc. Both for me would be irreplaceable, just trying to get a general consense of the climate.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
OK, if you had the choice between a Southwest and a Hercek what cue would you go with. I know they are two different animals construction, joint,etc. Both for me would be irreplaceable, just trying to get a general consense of the climate.

You're talking used, right ?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I would go with Joel Hercek.
I think it has more to do with the fact that I have more choices and Joel builds cues to more specs than SW does.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Personally I would go with Joel Hercek.
I think it has more to do with the fact that I have more choices and Joel builds cues to more specs than SW does.

I agree with you 100%. But, that's the problem. Joel is not taking any more orders. Once his current list is done, he's retired. It might take him another 7 years or more to get through that list, but he's not adding anyone to that list that I know of.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Southwest prices are skyrocketing as of late --- it leads me to believe that Laurie is coming to the end of her reign in the business. I could be wrong but the price jumps are of a large increase in %. Still no ebony cues and limited number of tulip wood cues. The options are getting more and more limited.

All that said, I am still a huge fan of the SW, it's staying power in overall quality and holding of it's value.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it would really just come down to design. I'd go with Southwest if I was looking for something without points, since that's what I'd want from them. Like a birdseye or pau ferro merry widow, something like that. Something more classic looking with veneers and a stainless joint, I'd go Hercek all the way.

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with you 100%. But, that's the problem. Joel is not taking any more orders. Once his current list is done, he's retired. It might take him another 7 years or more to get through that list, but he's not adding anyone to that list that I know of.

Honestly, there is no way he will get through his list in 7 years. Don't quote me, but I think his list is closer to 20 years long.

Southwest's are very nice but my choice is Hercek all day.
Joel makes 1-10th the amount of cues Southwest does. Which will make his cues much more Collectable in the future. It comes down to what kind of style you are looking for.

Last edited:

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vinny is correct, there is no way either Joel or Southwest will ever get through thier lists.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Honestly, there is no way he will get through his list in 7 years. Don't quote me, but I think his list is closer to 20 years long.

Southwest's are very nice but my choice is Hercek all day.
Joel makes 1-10th the amount of cues Southwest does. Which will make his cues much more Collectable in the future. It comes down to what kind of style you are looking for.

I'm sure you would know better than most. I heard it was 10 years a few years ago. But, now that folks are buying the last cues, they are really "pimping" them out, so those take a lot more time ;)

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
Never played with a hercek.... Owned a Franklin southwest....HERCEK would be my choice if that tells you anything

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You gotta think that Hercek builds under 30 cues a year and Southwest builds over 300 a year. Especially over time, the Hercek cues are more rare. Simple supply and the demand for his cues puts his cues on a whole different level.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Only Way I'd Pick SW Is..........

Joel Hercek......hands down.....no bout adoubt it........the only way I'd even consider a SW is if it was a fancy original SW made by Jerry Franklin......and it would have to be a dandy too.........Other than that when it comes to looks, cue construction or play........it's Hercek all the way.

Matt B.

Big Chris

windycitycueshow.com
Silver Member
I own them both, but the SW's sit at home and my Hercek goes everywhere with me. I love the way my hercek looks, plays, and feels.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Don't hate me, I think I'd like it..

I own them both, but the SW's sit at home and my Hercek goes everywhere with me. I love the way my hercek looks, plays, and feels.

I have not tried either, but here's my opinion. Hercek for value, no idea what he charges but if he makes 30 cues a year they are rare. SW play amazing to the fanboys, everyone else buys it as a investment. Now sacrilege, what the hell makes a SW better than a Schon, they are both "production" cues by AZ members definition?

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foth SW and Herceks are excellent playing cues. I have owned at any one time, 18 SW and 2 Herceks. I am not a dealer or flipper. I have a cue addiction. The SW are quite popular and prety easy to move. I found mine to be consistent and those with which I played hit exceptionally well. Getting a SW is like geting a savings bond that you can cash out at any time. If you do decide on SW, I highly recommend the slim butt. I believe they feel better and play better on todays equipment.

Herceks feel like magic. Both of mine felt the same, I used only one. I liked the feel, balance and especially the shaft taper, which to me was like the old pro taper. The ONLY reason I traded these and did not use the one more is my B. Szamboti's, which I have to say the play is quite close. I traded both Herceks + cash for a huge B. Szamboti. This says allot about just how outstanding the Hercek's play.

Seems to be a bigger market for SW, perhaps because of Asia and the fact they are cheaper. Try them both and see which you like best and buy based on your personal feel. In the end, you are not goingnto see enough difference in profit or loss on either to change anything.

Good luck.

Phil

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very true.
I was lucky/smart enough to get on his list in 2006 and have kept in touch. Probably just a couple of years out now.

Reactions: KRJ

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I'd personally compare a Southwest to a Schon, and I am not knocking Schon. I think it's more like a Schon is a like buying a Diamond at Fred Meyers Jewelers. The diamonds are good but you are limited to the options in the case. Southwest is more like Zale’s you can pick from a certain amount of settings and spruce them up a bit, a Hercek is more like a Fabergé, you are limited by only certain woods and a full splice but the artist imagination is the limit and they are works of Art as well as Players. By the way all 3 play well.