How good are you with your opposite hand?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Just curious: How well do you guys play opposite handed? I am VERY right handed and cant do anything properly with my left hand. I can make shots as long as they are easy and not too far from the pocket, but thats it. I have no stroke or touch at all with my left hand. Do you guys practice with your opposite hand a lot, or at all? Edit: Since I stink with my left hand, I've learned to play one handed "spear" style, I've even learned to jump this way when I can't reach normally. Good for the occational wager;). Anyone else doing that?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good enough that I can shoot simple shots that don't require much English.

The use of an extension or a bridge kills most peoples chances of ever needing to play both right and left handed.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Just curious: How well do you guys play opposite handed? I am VERY right handed and cant do anything properly with my left hand. I can make shots as long as they are easy and not too far from the pocket, but thats it. I have no stroke or touch at all with my left hand. Do you guys practice with your opposite hand a lot, or at all? Edit: Since I stink with my left hand, I've learned to play one handed "spear" style, I've even learned to jump this way when I can't reach normally. Good for the occational wager;). Anyone else doing that?

I do the one handed thing sometimes. I find that interesting. Left handed is another world I should play that way more.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I shoot behind my back, with two(2) bridges & with one(1) handed before I shoot left handed.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm adequate with my left hand as long as it's not a power stroke shot. I can pocket medium shots and stroke about half power before my fundamentals break down.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad, astonishingly bad actually. But as someone stated, with extensions and bridges it's not a skill I've spent time on improving.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I play about the 7 ball under my right playing left handed. I am not affraid to play shape with english or bank opposite handed at all. I am a strong B player left handed.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can hardly play with my right.

I play just slightly worse than that with my left.

BasementDweller <~~~ doing my best Cornerman imitation

rellek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I play about 70% speed with my left compared to my right. It comes in handy a lot, and truthfully I hardly notice that I am switching hands sometimes. I however cannot break left handed.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I'm okay with my left hand when you consider that most off-handed shot tend to be close to a pocket.

The difficulty for me is speed control. I always seem to overrun position when I shoot left-handed.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot even get in a correct stance for a lefty shot. I've tried and given up years ago. Funny that I was thinking about it 2 days ago before this thread even came up. I then tried to do a simple crossword puzzle lefty and most of what I did was to make 1st grader's scrawls. I quit aboout half way thorugh. Mitch

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't even choke the chicken/spank the monkey left handed.:D I use a bridge if needed. If you practice with it, and have the proper form, it's easy to get the correct angle and speed.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not very good. If playing a real game I'll get the bridge out instead. When practicing by myself I do take left handed shots, in part because I'm too lazy to grab the bridge sometimes and in part because I hope to eventually improve. I've gotten a little better, I can make short shots close to the pocket and play with draw/follow, but anything beyond a very short shot is likely a miss.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lousy w/left hand. That's why we have bridges. Part of game that doesn't get much practice. It's all in the mind.