Which Pool Room Must I See Before I Design Mine?

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member

I'm going for an Upscale Billiard Club feel, but with accommodations for the Player's Crowd. Think the old Chelsea Billiards in NYC (now Slate) or something like that. I'm planning for circa 23 full size Pocket Billiard tables, 1 heated Billiard table and possibly a f/s Snooker table.

Thanx! -Z-

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm going for an Upscale Billiard Club feel, but with accommodations for the Player's Crowd. Think the old Chelsea Billiards in NYC (now Slate) or something like that. I'm planning for circa 23 full size Pocket Billiard tables, 1 heated Billiard table and possibly a f/s Snooker table.

Thanx! -Z-

Fargo Billiards. They have a website.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without question, you MUST see Fargo Billiards. It is the epitome of the upscale pool room. Mike Page, the owner, spent two years traveling around the USA looking at what he liked about other rooms, and deciding what he definitely didn't want in his. Open more than 5 years now, Fargo Billiards is what any poolroom should ascribe to be. :grin:

www.fargobilliards.com

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I'm happy to here about a new room opening! Even if I'm nowhere near it.
I checked out that Fargo link. Seems like a great model to follow for sure.

The8reader

does this help! haha
Silver Member
Fargo billiards looks nice... except for tables that are rarley cleaned. Service is sub par unless u have a membership. Music will put u to sleep then make u go wtf is Katy parry doing on now.. drink prices are way to high. Along with poor service at the bar.. bar is rarley stocked with the posted items. Bartenders are not knowledgeable about the import or microbrew beers they offer. Lots of pool tables is about it.

The new moorhead billiards is well woth the drive. This is smaller hall but does feel like a pool hall for real pool players. Both places are nice and both could use some work with menu and staff training. Moorhead billiards cleans the tables several times a day. They also have three dimond 9 footers and 13 dimond 7 footers I beleave. With a 10foot snooker table. Two very nice party rooms. It is very new and will only get better.

Both are a must see. Both have great events. Cant wait for the first big tourny in moorhead

I will post pics of both places. The website for fargo gastro is not how is looks anymore.

CanonShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone has a photo of the Billiard Palace in Anchorage Alaska when Mark Griffon owned it, it was a classic.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Here in Indy we don't have anything upscale so maybe I'm off here but when I went to Canton I was BLOWN AWAY at Fiddlestix

Never seen a room that was nice like that.

But we have very slim pickings here. I love Brickyard but it isn't upscale.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
What Scott said! Mike left no stone unturned and created a masterpiece and sanctuary! Wish I lived closer (sort of…)

Without question, you MUST see Fargo Billiards. It is the epitome of the upscale pool room. Mike Page, the owner, spent two years traveling around the USA looking at what he liked about other rooms, and deciding what he definitely didn't want in his. Open more than 5 years now, Fargo Billiards is what any poolroom should ascribe to be. :grin:

www.fargobilliards.com

Scott Lee

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything stated here is false. Mike Page runs a first class operation, from the ground up.

Scott Lee

Fargo billiards looks nice... except for tables that are rarley cleaned. Service is sub par unless u have a membership. Music will put u to sleep then make u go wtf is Katy parry doing on now.. drink prices are way to high. Along with poor service at the bar.. bar is rarley stocked with the posted items. Bartenders are not knowledgeable about the import or microbrew beers they offer. Lots of pool tables is about it.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be a good idea to look at the ones that are on life support. You learn more from mistakes sometimes..

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool rooms

I posted a couple of pictures of the original Anchorage Billiard Palace on my Facebook page. This might help the OP with some ideas. If there are any questions, feel free to ask. I have helped do layouts on a dozen rooms. Planning is critical to success.

I honestly can say it was the most comfortable, functional room I have ever been in. It had character, class, and longevity. A real gem.

Go to Facebook: mark Griffin.

Sorry don't know how to post pictures.

Mark Griffin

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to suggest Raxx bar and grill in long Island NY but men that lacy's is nice, I sure would like to be a part of that. Skyline billiards is nice also "from what I see" but I haven't made it there yet. Best of luck as I know opening/running a pool hall is not an easy task in todays time.
http://skylinebilliardclub.com/

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargo billiards looks nice... except [...]

Whoa... I don't know who you are, but I must have offended you....

You like the new Moorhead Billiards, so I will add that I do too. It is a very nice room that I'm proud to say is in our community.

I will also post two things that others have put on facebook in the last 8 hours. One is this little "flipogram" of league tonight:

http://flipagram.com/f/RWXOrLQt8x

Next I'll post an exerpt of an unsolicited review posted a few hours ago by a Minneapolis player:

"Thanks again Mike & Rory. Always a class act and a classy place. Great equipment, awesome food, great ambience, huge food & drink selections, mostly flawlessly run tournaments, good added money, comfortable seating and all around room conditions, plenty of action available at ANY level, and just about any "consideration" level, great hosts, super tough field every time, lots of available tables to practice on, or play a few sets on, or ahead sets on, or races to whatever for whatever "consideration." No noisy distractions, well managed staff and clean facility. Did I forget anything? Oh yeah, lots of available and I believe additionally added parking is available, plenty of restrooms for guys like me who can't hold it, oh yeah, and every once in a while there is some world-class live streaming of some of the best dang bar table 8-ball and 9-ball players not only in the Midwest, but in the country! And you can also usually pretty easily pull up a chair and sweat some action, whether its One-pocket, Straight pool, 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball on one of the 35 or 40 7-foot Diamonds, 9 foot Gabriels, 9 foot Diamonds, snooker tables, billiard tables, you name it, I think they have them all. Oh yeah, and if you come to one of these events you might just run into and have an opportunity to play a world-class player, or maybe 8-10 world-class players might show up!"

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Thank you to everyone so far for the great stuff! :thumbup:
Please keep it coming