Preferred Shaft Size (Regular Maple)

Dr_CollieCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your preferred shaft size for a regular maple, pro taper shaft (not LD)? 12.75mm seems fairly popular, along with 13 mm.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I have played with 13.2, 12.8, 12.6 and now a 12.2 shaft, just needed some time to get used to, now I really like my slim shaft. of course those are all conventional solid maple shafts, I cant stand LD anymore

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I prefer 10.5mm but could do with anything under 11.5mm but no less than 8mm.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
!2.5 mm

I had Pat Diviney make me up 2 identical Lake Salvage shafts that are 31" long with an 18" extended straight taper and the tip size is 12.5 mm. I doubt I will ever change from these shafts. .

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

What is your preferred shaft size for a regular maple, pro taper shaft (not LD)? 12.75mm seems fairly popular, along with 13 mm.

12.80 dense maple, 15 in pro taper, plastic or juma ferrule

I would like to go to the smaller ferrule on my next shafts.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
12.25mm pro taper works for me. After reading this thread so far I can't understand why 13mm is considered standard. Obviously things have changed.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After much experimentation, I found that the taper has as much to do with my satisfaction playing with the cue as the shaft sizes.

I like 13mm shafts but only if there's a long pro taper like with my Scruggs cue's shafts but I prefer to play with shafts 12.65-12.8mm.
That's the best shaft size range for me but 13mm is perfectly acceptable too as long as it's not a short taper.

My Bob Owen cue has 3 perfect shafts (2 the same size and 1 a little bigger) and the cue Jerry R. has just about completed will have
the same size shafts........12.65-12.8 size fits for my bridge hand really tight & feels good in my fingers and also looks better to my eye
when I aim to decide how much English to apply on any given shot.

Matt B.

Last edited:

Dr_CollieCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading this thread so far I can't understand why 13mm is considered standard. Obviously things have changed.

Me too. I thought there would be a lot of 12.75-13mm, with some slightly smaller, but it seems that most prefer a shaft that is much smaller.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11.25 is my favorite and 10.7 is my next favorite for pool and 9.5 is my favorite for snooker.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
13mm Runde tapered shaft with wizard M tip and Original GE Micarta ferrule. Haven't found one better yet, looking forward to trying the ash shaft on order from PFD.