Spectraply, Dymondwood alternative?

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break cues

I have used both Dymalux and spectraply, the dymalux is much heavier, a thin shaft 29 inches long will weigh around 6 oz. The spectraply i believe is a bit lighter than maple. Both make good break cues, but the dymalux has to be bought in larger pieces and is expensive, and hard to cut.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used both Dymalux and spectraply, the dymalux is much heavier, a thin shaft 29 inches long will weigh around 6 oz. The spectraply i believe is a bit lighter than maple. Both make good break cues, but the dymalux has to be bought in larger pieces and is expensive, and hard to cut.

Thanks I`ll order some of both. I`m planning a run of jump and break cues, from what you say it sounds like spectraply actually is better suited for butts and especially jump handles?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

6 oz?

What is your opinion about that material for a masse shaft? Do you have any experience building masse cues?

I have one that I am thinking to have a "special" shaft made for, and this material sounds like it may be something like what I am looking for.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc

I know nothing about masse cues. I have made carom cue shafts and it works great for those if you can get passed the color.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nothing about masse cues. I have made carom cue shafts and it works great for those if you can get passed the color.

Masse shafts are similar, but you can have an even stiffer taper and a 24" shaft would be plenty long.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masse shafts are similar, but you can have an even stiffer taper and a 24" shaft would be plenty long.

Mine is 27", with an 18" butt. It's a Jacoby with a beautiful Cocobolo butt, no longer available, not the black stained maple they currently offer.

The maple shaft is good, but I am thinking a heavier shaft could be even better. I may contact Jacoby to see what they can do, or maybe another maker if there are some alternative materials that get my attention.

When I saw this thread it got my attention. Fat, stiff, heavy, straight taper.

I am not any kind of trick shot artist, but a cue like this can really be fun. :thumbup:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is 27", with an 18" butt. It's a Jacoby with a beautiful Cocobolo butt, no longer available, not the black stained maple they currently offer.

The maple shaft is good, but I am thinking a heavier shaft could be even better. I may contact Jacoby to see what they can do, or maybe another maker if there are some alternative materials that get my attention.

When I saw this thread it got my attention. Fat, stiff, heavy, straight taper.

I am not any kind of trick shot artist, but a cue like this can really be fun. :thumbup:

Yeah I can see the allure of "novelty" items like that. A few of the local players have several break cues and some have more than 5 jump cues. Is it neccessary? Of course not, but it sure is fun :smile:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc

That 27 18 is almost the golden ratio, 1 to 1.6. Guy that lives on on island in puget sound introduced me to the builders " golden ratio " and has had me build 4 or 5 cues with a 21 inch butt and a 34 inch shaft.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Google it

I had to google it, its a great read. I believe things like the pyramids and many structures throughout history have been constructed using thr golden ratio

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yeah. I know about it. When the comment was made I thought it was something specific to cues I had not heard of. Didn't even begin to think outside that. LOL!

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I would post a picture of a few Spectraply blanks turned round.
7uHvmo4.jpg

KcU0REb.jpg

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break shaft

I'll let you guys know how it holds up for a break shaft, just finished making it.

Attachments

• 20180424_182148.jpg
    20180424_182148.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 215