New felt

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just recovered my table and I hate the way it plays right now. The rails seem a little bit less lively and I hate the way new felt plays. I assume the cloth was pulled a bit too tight, too.

Last edited:

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grabbed a wet washcloth and ran it back and forth along the rails until I could feel the felt start to stretch out as move just a little. I think that it helped a bit.

MM

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
What brand/series of 'felt' did you use? What make/model table?

With the installation of new cloth, friction is greatly reduced. This often makes a table seem less "lively". Perhaps you could describe further, what it is that you don't like about the way that it plays.

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a AMF Gold Cup, which previously had Simonis 760, I changed it to Championship Tour Edition to match that of the local pool hall. The bed is noticeably faster than before, almost too easy to draw. The cushions (at first) were not as lively, especially off the points of the facings. For the facings, I used a can of contact cement that has been sitting around for awhile. The facings seem like it would have been easier than it should have been to remove them. Is there something better to use, or is there a hard shelf life on that stuff?

MM