Earl stance

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone may have commented on this before, but I was watching a
match Earl vs Efren, and Earls cue was to the right of his right eye.
His chin was way to the left side of the cue. I had noticed that it was not
under his chin before but the cue looks like it is a good couple of inches
to the right of his right ear. It looks like he is sighting 6 or 8 inches
to the left of the cue. It sure works well for him but really looks strange.
jack
Free SJD

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neils Feijen does the same thing. Oliver Ortmann is more sidearm but also has the cue off to the right side.

The guys who I don't understand how they play at a high level are the ones who put the cue under their eye opposite their handedness.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Neils Feijen does the same thing. Oliver Ortmann is more sidearm but also has the cue off to the right side.

The guys who I don't understand how they play at a high level are the ones who put the cue under their eye opposite their handedness.

I'm right--eyed and right-handed....
...I would rather be right-handed and left-eyed....
....it looks more comfortable.
Willie Mosconi and Joe Davis look better over the cue than Earl or Niels.....
....they look awkward....as I do...much less compact.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone may have commented on this before, but I was watching a
match Earl vs Efren, and Earls cue was to the right of his right eye.
His chin was way to the left side of the cue. I had noticed that it was not
under his chin before but the cue looks like it is a good couple of inches
to the right of his right ear. It looks like he is sighting 6 or 8 inches
to the left of the cue. It sure works well for him but really looks strange.
jack
Free SJD

It's all relative folks. No setup is really "better."

It all depends on which eye is the dominant eye AND how dominant it is.
In the case of Earl, his right eye seems to be relatively more dominant, so his setup
is that the cue stick is lined up more towards his right (eye) side.

Look at Wu ("Little Genius") from Taiwan. His right eye is also dominant so, even though he shoots left-handed, the cue stick (as in Earl's case) is located near the right eye.

And remember this: there are varying degrees of ocular dominance in between (depending on how dominant a particular eye is).

It's too bad pool instructors don't account for this natural dynamic.
It seems as if they don't understand ocular dominance, so they often consider it negligible in pool aiming.

Did you know you can change ocular dominance on the fly by rotating your head
horizontally? The research is out there. I bet the pool instructors don't even know this...

... that's too bad because this could help some players to get to their natural "dominant set-up" and start seeing the aiming line that much better.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm right/right but I have a cataract on my right eye. Tried the Soquet/Mosconi style but it was awkward. Maybe it's a matter of what you get used to working the best.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It works

What ever he does seems to work very well for him and I wish I was as good as him on his worst day! His stroke is some thing else.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I believe Niels is almost blind in one eye, so no real choice there ��

I don't think any of us have a choice of which eye is dominant.
I had a goatee when I was young...the cue would part my beard on the right side of my
chin....you don't have to know which is your dominant eye....it will find you.

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

im right handed and left eyed... i don think its more comfortable..the cue is closer to my body and i have a hard time following through, end up hitting my chest often, still havent figured that out yet.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
im right handed and left eyed... i don think its more comfortable..the cue is closer to my body and i have a hard time following through, end up hitting my chest often, still havent figured that out yet.

Google some videos of Willie Mosconi and Joe Davis....
...two very different styles, but they both solved the problem.

...you're in good company.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot say with certainty why Earl does what he does with his stance and eyes, but I think I know. If you watch Earl closely, he changes what side of the shaft his eye is on depending on the shot sometimes.

big_11141-strickland-and-delimelkonoglu-take-openamateur-stops-on-the-predator-tour.jpg

big_10929-strickland-downs-can-twice-to-take-predator-open-hagan-wins-amateur-event.jpg

MC2008_M06_009_-_Earl_Strickland.jpg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Did you know you can change ocular dominance on the fly by rotating your head horizontally? The research is out there. I bet the pool instructors don't even know this...

Well, sure; your nose will block one eye from seeing certain objects if you rotate your head enough. :smile:

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Google some videos of Willie Mosconi and Joe Davis....
...two very different styles, but they both solved the problem.

...you're in good company.

wow..some great vintage footage..hmm im gona have to work on this. thanks pt.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I took a lesson from Earl. He was adamant about crouching low with need bend (I have a shoulder with stance w/ front leg bent more). He also said I have a "3 cushion" bridge and tried to show me his way. My conclusion was that it works for him, but I would need time I don't have to undo decades of my way. Of course he is way better than I so maybe he's correct😜

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I took a lesson from Earl. He was adamant about crouching low with need bend (I have a shoulder with stance w/ front leg bent more). He also said I have a "3 cushion" bridge and tried to show me his way. My conclusion was that it works for him, but I would need time I don't have to undo decades of my way. Of course he is way better than I so maybe he's correct😜

I'd like to take a lesson from him sometime. I'm in the Midwest is the only drawback.

I think he'd be interesting to talk to about his take on the game more than anything. You could pick up a few pointers, I'm sure.

Best,
Mike

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My lesson was a group lesson before an exhibition. Didn't get a chance to pick his brain 😞

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He deals with posters on this forum regularly and I'm sure he's aware of AZB's existence. i think it's be great to be able to set up table layouts and have a guygal like him, Keith, CJ, Ray, Chris, Adam, Kid, Danny, Donnie, Mike,SJD, Stan, Landon, Stevie, Darren, John, Bill, Gene, Lee, David, Bobbie, Mr. Bill, Fran, Johnny (who'd I leave out?), give us their thoughts on strategy and position play. :cool:

Best,
Mike