When was the last time there was an American who won the world 9 ball championships?

Sorry if this is a stupid question (I have never owned a billiard magazine or have ever kept up with the billiard news), but just wondering when was the last time an American won the world 9 ball (or 10 ball) championships?

I imagine that it has been a long time since they were held here in America, but I do not know.

Can anyone tell me how SVB has done in the past world championships (that were rotation games)?

I heard that he does not play as well when he goes over seas to play, and I wonder why.

It could not possibly be a confidence issue, because his mental game (on the pool table) is really strong I think.

Also, I am curious about your thoughts on future American players that you think will some day be (have a very good chance of becoming) a world 9 ball or 10 ball champion?

Do you think that Justin Bergman might have a chance, or any other young American players?

How does the future of American pool look?

Are the Europeans and Asians always going to rule over the American players?

Thanks for any thoughts about these topics.

Last edited:
Good troll effort

Please forgive my ignorance. I honestly do not know. No need to be rude. This is a forum, right? I thought that asking questions and talking about things that are on your mind is what forums are for (no matter how stupid the questions may be). Does it really make me a troll for asking a question that can be answered by looking it up myself? I honestly would not even know how to search for the answer to the title question.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great question , Svb might stumble in to one sooner or later ,after him TV star MD if that don't make his head bigger , Sky would be my future pic a demeanor much like JM but after that and considering we are falling behind day be day to world talent it might not happen in my lifetime

9-Ball -- Strickland 2002, Archer 1999, Archer 1992, Strickland 1991 and 1990

10-Ball -- none

[per WPA website]

Okay, thanks. Now I feel like a fool for not knowing to look on the WPA site. I had a feeling that Strickland and Archer were the last Americans to win a world 9 ball championship.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry if this is a stupid question (I have never owned a billiard magazine or have ever kept up with the billiard news), but just wondering when was the last time an American won the world 9 ball (or 10 ball) championships?

I imagine that it has been a long time since they were held here in America, but I do not know.

Can anyone tell me how SVB has done in the past world championships (that were rotation games)?

I heard that he does not play as well when he goes over seas to play, and I wonder why.

It could not possibly be a confidence issue, because his mental game (on the pool table) is really strong I think.

Also, I am curious about your thoughts on future American players that you think will some day be (have a very good chance of becoming) a world 9 ball or 10 ball champion?

Do you think that Justin Bergman might have a chance, or any other young American players?

How does the future of American pool look?

Are the Europeans and Asians always going to rule over the American players?

Thanks for any thoughts about these topics.

I think USA's best hope lies on Jayson shaw by far provided he secures the green card n citizenship that he was applying for.

I think USA's best hope lies on Jayson shaw by far provided he secures the green card n citizenship that he was applying for.

Jayson Shaw is Scottish, and grew up in Scotland I assume, so I do not really see him as an American. I am curious how long Shaw has lived here in the US. Mika also lives in the US too, so is he an American now?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh please like SVB won't win one soon enough

Canada might get one first though with John Mora, lol

and yes between the taiwanese, chinese, fillipinos, uk'ers, and euros...plus north ameriac, the talent pool is insane

you won't see a single person winning in he manner of EFren, Strickland, Sigel, etc......

greatness will be represented by consistent top 5 finishes

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

and yes between the taiwanese, chinese, fillipinos, uk'ers, and euros...plus north ameriac, the talent pool is insane

you won't see a single person winning in he manner of EFren, Strickland, Sigel, etc......

Great point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

This is really well said. The talent pool is so deep that the few who stockpile top fives in the WPA World Championship events will be definite hall of famers.

In the respective primes of Sigel, Strickland, Hall, and Varner, there were only about ten legitimate contenders for the title in the World Championships. Today, it's probably forty.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is really well said. The talent pool is so deep that the few who stockpile top fives in the WPA World Championship events will be definite hall of famers.

In the respective primes of Sigel, Strickland, Hall, and Varner, there were only about ten legitimate contenders for the title in the World Championships. Today, it's probably forty.

Yep, there is the issue, or at least the reason, why the US is no longer dominant in pool. There are just too many other players in other countries playing it now. Look at cars, electronics, anything really. The other countries watched, imitated, improved and equaled or passed what the US can do, just took a decade or two.

Not to start something that will get pulled into NPR, but it's not just pool that the US is no longer the leader in things in. I don't think the US has a lead in anything that at least one other country is known to be quality in. I mean when was the last time you ran into someone that went to the US to buy something they can't get as good in their own place? Last thing I can remember was Russians buying up Levis jeans in the 80s LOL. Hell, if you want to find classic US cars, you want to visit Cuba LOL

We don't have much of a cue sport export either, not that there are not great players, but there are great players everywhere now.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
How is this trolling?

Might I suggest you look into Justin's posting history, especially on the NPR. There is an art to some of his troll posts, they are worth reading despite the knowledge of them being trolling, they are that good. They are like watching sitcom TV.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool popularity and development of youth into top pros is no different than any other sport

grass roots grass roots grass roots

even the corporate evil giant NFL will not mess with ncaa......who in turn don't mess with high schools

america due to wealth and population will always produce a prodigy here and there in every sport, pool, soccer, judo, you name it

the domination of yesteryear in american pool by americans is generations away though

i can't ascertain if there is better organization elsewhere, but it seems as if europe/asia have that....and NOT the philipines either, all their top guys are prodigies who spend more time gambling than practicing and have the worst technique on earth

of cousre this diversity in styles is what makes global pool better than ever before

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, its called Diversity

Yep, there is the issue, or at least the reason, why the US is no longer dominant in pool. There are just too many other players in other countries playing it now
Not to start something that will get pulled into NPR, but it's not just pool that the US is no longer the leader in things in. I don't think the US has a lead in anything

We don't have much of a cue sport export either, not that there are not great players, but there are great players everywhere now.

There was a time when a lack of diversity made it seems as if only American players could play, not any more. Even Willie Mosconi would have been tested if he would have put up some cash a ventured out of his comfort zone.

Now theres no place to go and not have to deal with equal talent, Bergman, Hall, Skyler, Josh Roberts, John Moore, and a many more up and comers are right there, can they make the jump to true champion...,

sandman.dreams

Registered
John Morra got to the final in the China Open!

:D he must make everyone feel so old

Imagine how good he'll be in his 30's

The sport is doing well, plenty of pool halls, leagues and professional tournaments around :) I'm happy with the amount of great players there are here in the Americas.

Snooker isn't doing so well over here though lol

Edit* It's doing well.... I meant we don't really have international contenders anymore ;)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Canada HAS a world champion 9-baller...2004
...so I guess the Lion is the last world champion outta North America.

pt...just sayin'

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called it trolling as SVB just went 2 and out in China open and there has been trolling on this site regarding his oversea results. OP poster also "innocently" asked if other countries were "always going to be better than USA". It was a good troll. 7.2 out of 10

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I called it trolling as SVB just went 2 and out in China open and there has been trolling on this site regarding his oversea results. OP poster also "innocently" asked if other countries were "always going to be better than USA". It was a good troll. 7.2 out of 10

I think you're misreading JustinB....I've got friends like him and gotta look out for 'em.
He's admitted on NPR that he is painfully shy...and probably not well versed in the
ways of the pool world.....he's the kind of guy who, when approached by a poolhustler
with an offer to bang them around around for $300 a game, would reply...
..." Oh, no :eek:, I've never played for more than a beer, but thanks for the offer."

I think people should be encouraged to ask questions...even if one is not on the square,
it can become a good thread.

pt....BTW, could you ship me a couple hun till my ship comes in?....
...try to ignore the fact that the PT109 is laying at the bottom of the sea....