Ghost ball users, post here

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For everyone who thinks ghost ball aiming is the shiznit! :thumbup:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/ghost_ball_aiming.pdf

The ghost ball aiming system:
- Aim at the ghost ball
- Compensate for swerve, collision and spin induced throw, which can only be done subjectively as breaking down each force into a grid/lattice of counteracting impacts is computationally and methodologically infeasible
- $$$$$

:thumbup:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Ghost ball aim is a good starting point, but newer players who don't know about spin- and collision-induced throw wind up routinely overcutting cut shots (or they bang everything hard to compensate). If you meet a banger, having them aim more thickly and stroke more softly often gets them to pocket far more balls.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did it a lot, and it was plenty of fun.

It quickly got unusable with plants or more difficult situations....
Nowadays I use a version of CTE, where I more do a ETE aiming and in my mind I do not use the complex explanations you will usually read about it.

I still use ghost ball for the path the CB will most likely take.

Cheers,
M

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do ghostball users imagine the center of the gb or do you look through the gb to a point on or near the OB? Just curious if one method is preferred over another. I've used my cue tip on the cloth where center gb should be, then walked my cue around to the CB, leaving the tip in place, and looked at where I could aim on or near the OB. Is that sort of a ghostball method?

-Dinos-

Registered
Do ghostball users imagine the center of the gb or do you look through the gb to a point on or near the OB? Just curious if one method is preferred over another. I've used my cue tip on the cloth where center gb should be, then walked my cue around to the CB, leaving the tip in place, and looked at where I could aim on or near the OB. Is that sort of a ghostball method?

What you are describing is indeed a variation of ghost ball method.
Dr. Dave has a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyySqG_Asbw

I think one important aspect of ghost ball that is not always emphasized enough is the overlap between the balls (ob+gb) and how it changes when moving the cue ball around at different angles.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Once you visualize overlap, you are playing some kind of section aim and are no longer playing a strict ghost ball.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never think about the overlap of the cue ball and object ball, except sometimes trying to minimize it on super thin cut shots.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
This post has been heavily edited to be in compliance with the new rules. All aiming systems are equally good. Buy all of them.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
There are a lot of strong players on this forum, but most weaker players overcut many of their cut shots.

Aiming to hit more thickly and stroking more softly works wonders for these players.