Which Starrett 98?

Tomster

Registered
I will be levelling and re-clothing quite a few 3 piece, 1" thick slates in the coming months, and I'm in the process of getting kitted out with the right tools for the job.

Most are pretty straightforward, but there are several options for the Starrett levels in terms of size.

So, a couple of questions:

1. If you only bought one size and used it for all the installations - which size would it be?

2. If money were no object and you could have multiple units, which sizes would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be levelling and re-clothing quite a few 3 piece, 1" thick slates in the coming months, and I'm in the process of getting kitted out with the right tools for the job.

Most are pretty straightforward, but there are several options for the Starrett levels in terms of size.

So, a couple of questions:

1. If you only bought one size and used it for all the installations - which size would it be?

2. If money were no object and you could have multiple units, which sizes would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

I bought a six inch one and it works out fine for me, but i would have to think the longer the better, even tho the six inch one is picking up a lot of things that a normal four foot level is not.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I bought an import brand 12 inch for 80 bucks from the local machine shop tool sales store

working in machine shops, ive used expensive and cheap, cheap works just the same as the expensive, only difference is how they wear, which depends on whos using them and if they are taking care of them

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
10"&12" are best to get most consistant leveling.

4"&6" hit to many valley's keeps changing level

15"&18" work faster but hits the peaks to far apart and dont let you raise the valley's.

All have their quirks practice and use notes on how it changes from adjustments

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
98-8 or 98-12 your best best generally if you're going with starrett. 98-12 pretty much the standard