Silver Member
Is Damascus steel ever used for the joint ? It really is cool looking. I
don't know if it is available as a rod or if t machines well, but really
like the way it looks.
jack

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
damascus is usually made from different carbon steels forge welded together. carbon steel rusts so it would need to be sealed (covered). the general rule of thumb when finishing a cue is to not put finish on a steel joint. i believe this is because the finish does not adhere to the steel as well.

there is something called timascus not sure what is in it other than titanium. high dollar stuff.

try looking into mokume since it is made with more common cue joint metals.

DD Custom Cues

Cues by Drew
Silver Member
Timascus is just made from different grades of titanium. And mokume gane can be a mix of a few things like nickel brass silver.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

DD Custom Cues

Cues by Drew
Silver Member
Regular carbon damascus you would have to keep oil or a layer of wax on it to keep it from rusting.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
damascus is usually made from different carbon steels forge welded together. carbon steel rusts so it would need to be sealed (covered). the general rule of thumb when finishing a cue is to not put finish on a steel joint. i believe this is because the finish does not adhere to the steel as well.

there is something called timascus not sure what is in it other than titanium. high dollar stuff.

try looking into mokume since it is made with more common cue joint metals.

Stainless Damascus is very common in knifes and guns.
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Chris-Reeve-Large-Sebenza-21-Knife--9923

To the OP
I remember seeing it in a cue before, don't remember the specifics. It is very rare, as Damascus is expensive and pain to work with (acid etching, grain structure, etc).

Here you go.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=456259

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen it used in a cue that Bill Schick made. Several years back I tried to locate some in joint stock size and was unsuccessful.