Broken Revo

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never hit a shaft against the table or anything else. Why would you? It doesn't make you not miss the shot...

The preaching of the "why" and the do vs. don't isn't the point.
It doesn't matter if you hit the shaft or not.

The point is that wood shafts get dinged and the carbon fiber break in half.
Big difference.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Big difference.

I've broken "many" wood shafts in my younger and angry pool playing days. I'd bet that the Revo shaft is about the same in breakability. If you slam it on the table hard enough to break a wood shaft, it will break the Revo shaft, and vice versa.

Where the Revo shaft seems to excel, from the first hand accounts of members here who own one now for many months, is that it doesn't get the tiniest of nicks or dents on it during normal play.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm at the point were I feel most warranties are worthless. That goes for almost everything. It's usually up the person that handles the complaint.....and it depends on what kind of mood they're in.
Aside from the cost I think a lot of people would buy a REVO to try it out. The color is not hard to get used to. Not liking it is a different story.
Had mine since August. It's still straight and smooth. And black not blue.

REVO CARBON COMPOSITE SHAFT CARE INSTRUCTIONS

WARPAGE. REVO carbon composite shafts feature a limited-lifetime warranty against warpage.

ABUSE. REVO carbon composite shafts are not designed to withstand extensive lateral pressure. They should not be bent excessively, hit on the table or other objects, or treated with any abrasives, solid or liquid. We recommend protecting your shaft with a case and joint protectors.

Your Predator cue and/or shaft is warranted for life against any manufacturer defect that does not include warpage, abuse or normal wear on replaceable items such as the tip, ferrule, finish, wrap and bumper. Predator will decide, solely .....................

Maybe they should supply a protective condom to keep it in , and of course they don't back warpage because it's rare that they don't ,

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think that the breakage of this particular shaft type is unusual for sure.
Neil

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're sir are denser than the shaft

Big difference.

It's funny, from the moment this thread began, your key focus has been bashing a company, for whatever reason. I'm not pro or anti predator product per say, but your constant negative visceral comments lead me to believe you're a pretty unhappy person. Please for all of our sakes do not buy anything, as I'm almost certain you'll be unhappy. You should make everything yourself, because clearly you're a genius.

With that said, We're all on here because this is a game we love, and good or bad, I don't see any other cue companies supporting tournaments and pros the way Predator does. Not OB, Viking, Mezz, Joss, Meucci, Lucasi, none of them contribute half as much as Predator does. But I know you're a glass half empty kind of person, and well since you have no filter, I'll remove mine, II kind of hope you choke on it...

If that's out of line for you I understand, I don't know you, but I can read and I'm only commenting on your need to be negative constantly, so here is a dose of your own medicine. Drink up now.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Big difference.

The point is, if someone wants to be a meathead with their cue, then let them. The warranty guarantees against warpage, not ham-handed orangutans beating on the table like a drum.

As to nit-picking about marketing, who-did-what-first, how does it look.... who freakin' cares - if you're not going to buy it anyway? I won't buy one because it's out of my price range, and frankly I like the look of the shaft but those butts are, well, not my favorite design.

Predator, like any other company on the planet that desires to be successful, markets their technology so they can make a profit and pay their staff. People that see the value in the product will buy it, and vise versa. Nobody seems to complain about other companies taking $35 of wood and charging $500-$2000 for it? Of course not, there's R&D and labor and marketing involved - same as in a Revo.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll asd too, that aside from my theory of the foam increasing the rigidity of the CF tube, which would contribute to the catastrophic failure, the shaft broke at the transition from the "parallel" section to the conical section, which acts as a stress riser at that transition. I see this a lot with endmills that have a larger shank than cutting area - the shank tapers toward the flutes, and when the tool breaks, it is amost always at that transition fro flutes to shank taper

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point is, if someone wants to be a meathead with their cue, then let them. The warranty guarantees against warpage, not ham-handed orangutans beating on the table like a drum.

As to nit-picking about marketing, who-did-what-first, how does it look.... who freakin' cares - if you're not going to buy it anyway? I won't buy one because it's out of my price range, and frankly I like the look of the shaft but those butts are, well, not my favorite design.

Predator, like any other company on the planet that desires to be successful, markets their technology so they can make a profit and pay their staff. People that see the value in the product will buy it, and vise versa. Nobody seems to complain about other companies taking $35 of wood and charging $500-$2000 for it? Of course not, there's R&D and labor and marketing involved - same as in a Revo.

"meathead" or not has nothing to do with the strength of the shaft.

Which is all I was commenting and specifically said it was my only point....golly......lol

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"meathead" or not has nothing to do with the strength of the shaft.

Which is all I was commenting and specifically said it was my only point....golly......lol

One can make a hardened ateel cue shaft, and you'd be able to fracture it the same way. There more than strong enough in their intended direction of use.

Jawzcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The technology as implemented might be new to the pool industry. I doubt Predator themselves make these shafts because it would require a separate facility with different tooling and machinery.

As a matter of fact, they are produced in a facility, owned by Predator in Boston, MA,

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

His friends stand around and laugh...The guy could have died of at least 2 different causes, the impact of the head and the twisting of the neck! I hope that guy watched the video and decided to get some new friends, and learned a lesson on how to treat a pool cue. I seriously hope he's allright, but come on, who wears a hat with a tanktop and shorts?

No shaft is unbreakable, or at least no shaft that would be playable at all. But carbon fiber as used in fishing rods (and the Revo) can be quite brittle. If you pair this with idiot pool players who slam their cues..well, the OP showed us what will happen.

I've gotten bent, a beaten up wood shaft that have been smacked 10-15 times at the probable speed at which that Revo broke (guessing) back to playable shape. And it will never break in the future because of those past beatings, but obviously can if someone hits it even harder.

On the other hand, I've seen some pretty spectacular failures of laminated shafts! Some split lenghtwise in the lamination, others split in the middle of the wooden piece. One 314 exploded in a rain of wooden splinters...Z-shafts...I've seen the break in every possible way. You have to baby those Z-shafts.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Regardless of setbacks, it is clear to me that synthetic shafts are here to stay. They will be better and more affordable. We are in the early stages of development.

Synthetics will eventually provide us a more consistent shaft. It's just a matter of time. The development limit is the return on investment, but the potential is there. If I were investing in cue technology, this is the direction I would go.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With that said, We're all on here because this is a game we love, and good or bad, I don't see any other cue companies supporting tournaments and pros the way Predator does. Not OB, Viking, Mezz, Joss, Meucci, Lucasi, none of them contribute half as much as Predator does. But I know you're a glass half empty kind of person, and well since you have no filter, I'll remove mine, II kind of hope you choke on it...

You do know the Joss Northeast 9 ball tour has been running for a couple of decade's don't you? Joss gives each pool room a cue for every single tournament. I don't know what you call it. But that's pretty strong.